Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to deal with colleague

Options
  • 09-07-2008 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭

Ok, here's the deal. I work for a small independant business unit in a much larger organisation. We currently answer to the UK and in Ireland there are 2 of us sales people, me and another guy, as well as consultants, developers etc. The other guy has been with the company for nearly 30 years, has gone from owner, to partner, to MD, to Sales Director to Sales guy. He just won't leave and is going the opposite way to how he should. He's quite bullying in a manipulative way and I feel I have to watch me back at all times.
    Now the crux is that we both feel that someone with overall responsibility for the Irish operation needs to be recruited for project planning etc. which is the route I want to go down, unfortunately so does he. So lots of head banging.
    Today we found out that a national newspaper wants an interview on our big new product. He has never demoed or sold it. I have demoed it many times, sold the first and to date only, site in Ireland, am 80% of the way there to a second site, am fully accedited and understand the market. But I know he is going to push for it to be him, as everyone knows him, cause he's been about so long.
    I know if I don't push this one I can kiss goodbye to moving up, but I also know how manipulative he is. Guess I slightly scared of him.
    Any ideas how to handle him? How to handle this situation?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Talk with a PR/Sales director or similar level who'd be thinking of the company in general regarding the fact that:

1) You're female (assumption but if it is a male industry this is free brownie points for the company basically)
    2) You've already sold one
    3) You're about to close another sale of it and this public show could help with the closing

Don't bother to bring up the downsides of the other guy, waste of time, simply highlight the benefits of having YOU do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Thanks Nody,
    Score 1 to Barbie Girl the interview is mine :-)
    Now just dealing with him day to day, which can drive me mad. But if I hit my numbers, and continue as I am hard work will hopefully win through :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

You seen like a nice person but maybe you could just screw this guy over? Why not? he deserves it from what you say.God he s such a prick:)

Advertisement