Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Departmental Cutbacks on the horizon!!!

• 09-07-2008 10:52am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

from www.breakingnews.ie
    Ministers to outline details of departmental cutbacks

Government ministers are due to outline details of planned cutbacks in their departments when the Dáil begins debating the economic downturn today.

Yesterday, the Government announced that €440m worth of cutbacks would be implemented this year due to the deterioration in the public finances.

A further €1bn will also be cut from spending plans for next year.

The Taoiseach, Brian Cowen, has confirmed that all departments with the exception of health and education will be required to reduce their payroll costs by 3%.

The acquisition of property under the decentralisation scheme is also being put on hold, while controversial ministerial pay rises have been deferred until 2010.

Where do you foresee this impacting the DOD???

It says Payroll, how can the Defence forces decrease Payroll by 3% without impacting productivity?

Dont know how PDF can reduce payroll as they are already over stretched, plus the 57 million euro mission to chad has only begun. RDF might take a major hit here as regards granting of mandays, courses etc.

Also this in the year before a new white paper on defence will probably be looked at. plus theres also one of the (if not THE) most ambitious tenders gone out for new naval vessels with the potential to not just replace some vessels but expand the already ageing and under strength fleet and we are supposed to have exercised the acquisition of the two optional AW139's.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 melikedonunts

hope it doesnt effect the number of recruits taken,as i was hoping to start before next year,
    heard tha willie will have to save around 4.6 mil this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

hope it doesnt effect the number of recruits taken,

Me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭gaff85

Defence does not pull in votes, so as usual it would be the first to be cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The last time we had a recruiting embargo and government cut backs it devastated the Defence Forces, its taken us year's to even come close to modernising and we're only halfway there yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ducksanctuary

Mairt wrote: »
    The last time we had a recruiting embargo and government cut backs it devastated the Defence Forces, its taken us year's to even come close to modernising and we're only halfway there yet.

i heard theres another recruiting embargo on its way. This is gonna feck things up because i was due to start on the 22nd of this month and i cant because im injured. Was hopeing to jump on the next platoon. Now i hear that theres a possability that no more recruiting is going to take place. I guess we'll just have to see what happens in the Dáil next Wednesday. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

i heard theres another recruiting embargo on its way. This is gonna feck things up because i was due to start on the 22nd of this month and i cant because im injured. Was hopeing to jump on the next platoon. Now i hear that theres a possability that no more recruiting is going to take place. I guess we'll just have to see what happens in the Dáil next Wednesday. :(

I'm afraid I also heard that today in work..my brother in law is in your same boat..:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i guess the styers will be put away for a while and stones used on the firing range with sling shots to do target practice and back to eating porridge for breakfast lunch and dinner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Morphéus wrote: »
    and we are supposed to have exercised the acquisition of the two optional AW139's.

I think one is due this month and another before the year is out, Also can anybody give any light as to why we never seem to have more than 8 Naval vessels ever? Ive been told it was something to do with an agreement between us and the UK about our Naval size?

Probably total c*ck but im just posting what someone said to me and well lets say i took it with a Jar not a pinch of Salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭conno3001

I really hope this doesn't effect recruitment, or else it could REALLY mess up my plans

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 30 quigley

The decision to target payroll is arbitrary - surely a better approach would be to quantify the amount of savings required and let the Department, in conjunction with the Military authorities get on with making these savings from whatever activities can be peared-back. It would not surprise me at all if, in line with most big corporations, there are non essential activities and spending going on. A focus on payroll only will naturally result in an even greater degree of under-manning than currently exists. A few suggestions: Sell off a small barracks, recruit only graduates as potential officer candidates, streamline the organisation to eliminate the multiplicity of offices and appointments that appear to be necessary, BUT DO NOT STOP RECRUITMENT

• Advertisement
Advertisement