Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C

Options
  • 09-07-2008 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

I have a C for Dummies and was thinking of starting it and learning C. My only problem is I don't know what C is used for. Is it a language used to make programs with GUIs or what?
    I have tried to learn a few languages but did not make a good enough effort to learn them and am hoping I can stick with this.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

C, like pretty much any other language, can be used to create any application you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

C can be used to make GUI's but java is preferred by most for GUI's do to it being easier.

C is used for a wide variety of things, mainly programs where time is of the essence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stamen

Well, I am probably going to do computer science in college and I have the rest of the summer to do something, I might learn C.

Thanks for the input

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

??

Making GUI's with C is quite difficult and time consuming. C++ is far better, better still the likes of C#/Java are even quicker and easier - click and drag!

What does C do? hmmmm

On the home pc, and while learning - C programs generally tend to "do" very little. They are concerned with demonstrating how data is used and stored in your computer, and to explain programming concepts - algorithms, data structures.

In industry, C is the language of choice for writing operating systems, and control code. Most electronic devices that have a processor are comtrolled by C code underneath everything. Your phone, mp3 player, dvd player, washing machine, the java virtual machine on your phone,

What would you like to get out of programming?

Internet stuff and GUI's, C# or java is your man

Control software - home electronics projects, 3d graphics, then C or C++

ianhobo wrote: »
    ??

Making GUI's with C is quite difficult and time consuming. C++ is far better, better still the likes of C#/Java are even quicker and easier - click and drag!

What does C do? hmmmm

On the home pc, and while learning - C programs generally tend to "do" very little. They are concerned with demonstrating how data is used and stored in your computer, and to explain programming concepts - algorithms, data structures.

In industry, C is the language of choice for writing operating systems, and control code. Most electronic devices that have a processor are comtrolled by C code underneath everything. Your phone, mp3 player, dvd player, washing machine, the java virtual machine on your phone,

What would you like to get out of programming?

Internet stuff and GUI's, C# or java is your man

Control software - home electronics projects, 3d graphics, then C or C++

Thanks, that was helpful. I might start with C. Thanks.

Did I say thanks?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

If you want to do GUI stuff with C check out GTK but thats a long way off as you have so much more to learn first - ensure firm understanding of pointers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Webmonkey wrote: »
    ensure firm understanding of pointers

and oh what fun they are :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

C is a good 'get to know the basics' language... its easy enough to learn and pickup... I would however go down the route of C++ myself if its to learn how things work.

I was never a big fan of Java when learning as it provided everything for you and I found it to be more helpful to have to do the work yourself with C++ and learn by doing.

C is a little bit too basic IMO, C++ bridges the gap by letting you do the basic stuff but still allowing you to progress further into GUI's also when you want to, without changing language.
    Its also a lot easier to continue into Java (if thats what your aiming for) from C++ than from C as they are both object orientated.

Sorry - Im starting to waffle...

C = Very Basic << you can only go so far before losing interest
    C++ = C and OO and GUI << Very interesting and powerful
    Java = Hidden C++ and Lots of GUI << Can get very complex without providing much insight into how things work - BUT: if you come from C++ into Java then you understand the underlying code and its an extremely powerful language.

I work in software myself and we use Java but I am glad I took the C++ route initially and progressed into Java (luckily thats the way we went in college)

(luckily thats the way we went in college)
    Similar - We went from C++ to C to Java in collage and I'm happy we went that way rather than starting with java at first. Big mistake imo

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Similar - We went from C++ to C to Java in collage and I'm happy we went that way rather than starting with java at first. Big mistake imo

Wow :eek: ... someone agreed with me!... wohoooo! :cool: *pops collar*

• Advertisement

I'd have to disagree however :)
    but thats neither here nor there
    C is anything but "very basic", it could infact be argued that it is one of the most difficult languages

and as for loosing interest? Thats a personal thing. Each of out interests lie in different places, for some people thats C, for others it ain't :) It just depends on what you want to do and where your programming interests are :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

I have to disagree with this. Many operating systems are coded in C. Look at Solaris. Thats not basic.

As for GUI's, what about Visual C and others?

I'd have to disagree however :)
    but thats neither here nor there

C is anything but "very basic", it could infact be argued that it is one of the most difficult languages

and as for loosing interest? Thats a personal thing. Each of out interests lie in different places, for some people thats C, for others it ain't :) It just depends on what you want to do and where your programming interests are :)

Apologies for the use of 'very basic'... what I meant is that its not an OO language and as such it is nowhere near as powerful as C++... and since C++ contains all of the functionality of C (slight differences cout->printf blah blah blah) it would make more sense to learn C++ as while doing this you are learning C also...
    C++ gives you all the OO programming aswell which is a sound base to eventually dive into Java if thats where your heading or remain in C++, or branch to C# .net wherever.. the options to progress are far greater from C++ while still starting out at a similar starting point as C.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

C is a little bit too basic IMO, C++ bridges the gap by letting you do the basic stuff but still allowing you to progress further into GUI's also when you want to, without changing language.
    C++ = C and OO and GUI << Very interesting and powerful
    I work in software myself
    For someone who works in software you would want to get your facts correct before making statements like "C is basic". You do understand that the C++ provides no capability to do GUI-based projects? All that functionality is provided by third party libraries, which in some cases I am pretty sure have C equivalents.

I'm also curious as to what you find keeps your interest in C++ and bored you with C?

C's far from that basic.

Obviously it can do everything another language can do but it takes a lot more effort but the plus side of this is you have more control, down side again - more prone to making mistakes.

I have to disagree with this. Many operating systems are coded in C. Look at Solaris. Thats not basic.

As for GUI's, what about Visual C and others?

Again it was a misuse of words... I just meant that you can learn all of the C stuff you want while learning C++, and C++ will be more useful to you than learning C on its own as it allows for the meld into other languages aswell as all the OO functionality... C on its own is C, C++ is C with extras and bridges to other languages... just makes more sense to take on C++

Apologies for the use of 'very basic'... what I meant is that its not an OO language and as such it is nowhere near as powerful as C++... and since C++ contains all of the functionality of C (slight differences cout->printf blah blah blah) it would make more sense to learn C++ as while doing this you are learning C also...
    C++ gives you all the OO programming aswell which is a sound base to eventually dive into Java if thats where your heading or remain in C++, or branch to C# .net wherever.. the options to progress are far greater from C++ while still starting out at a similar starting point as C.

Thats fine, but of course your assuming that OO is the be all and end all of programming? Just because your choosen language is OO doesn't make you "all powerful". It's back to the "proper tool for the job" idea. You are not "learning C" as you go when you learn C++

OO concepts and functionality comes at a hefty price - both the actual size of your binary, and the amount of memory required to now run your massive program.

In the desktop computing world, this isn't really an issue as resources are almost endless, hence the heavy use of C++ for desktop application development, but in the microcontroller and embedded world, you have tight resources, limited memory, and slower cpu's. C++ isn't (usually isn't) appropiate.

There are a wealth of reasons why one would choose C over C++, as damo2k said, look at solaris. Also Linux is written in C.

malice_ wrote: »
    For someone who works in software you would want to get your facts correct before making statements like "C is basic". You do understand that the C++ provides no capability to do GUI-based projects? All that functionality is provided by third party libraries, which in some cases I am pretty sure have C equivalents.

I'm also curious as to what you find keeps your interest in C++ and bored you with C?

Again ye are all jumping off the topic here on the word 'basic' ...

I'm merely saying that you can learn all the C programming skills while learning C++ and still keep your further options more open... And hence C++ would be a better language to learn from that point of view...

With all the languages they all have strong point and weak points.. im merely pointing out that you can cover one with the other without delving in too deep too early... as jumping straight into Java might prove for the OP...

I never said C is useless or pointless.. i just mean u can still learn it through C++ and gain the extra...

*hoping the repetitiveness in this comment will actually sink in* :P

Thats fine, but of course your assuming that OO is the be all and end all of programming? Just because your choosen language is OO doesn't make you "all powerful". It's back to the "proper tool for the job" idea. You are not "learning C" as you go when you learn C++

OO concepts and functionality comes at a hefty price - both the actual size of your binary, and the amount of memory required to now run your massive program.

In the desktop computing world, this isn't really an issue as resources are almost endless, hence the heavy use of C++ for desktop application development, but in the microcontroller and embedded world, you have tight resources, limited memory, and slower cpu's. C++ isn't (usually isn't) appropiate.

There are a wealth of reasons why one would choose C over C++, as damo2k said, look at solaris. Also Linux is written in C.

Come on will you.. your getting a little bit hung up here... the original post was with regards learning C to move towards GUI eventually... the suggestion was that C++ would be more suitable to learn and move towards GUI eventually while maintaining a similar route...

For your argument why dont you just have the OP learn assembly and cut right to the chase... jesus lads get some perspective on the situation not just looking for an argument... :rolleyes:

Stamen wrote: »
    I have a C for Dummies and was thinking of starting it and learning C. My only problem is I don't know what C is used for. Is it a language used to make programs with GUIs or what?
    I have tried to learn a few languages but did not make a good enough effort to learn them and am hoping I can stick with this.
    Thanks

Perspective?

Here is the orignal post. The OP did not say he wanted to learn how to program GUI's. It was merely asked was that what you used C for, and if not, what is C for. He didn't say he wanted a language a make GUI's with.

To be honest, I think you missed a lot when you learnt about C and C++.
    They are two very different beasts. You cannot learn one by learning the other

• Advertisement

Perspective?

Here is the orignal post. The OP did not say he wanted to learn how to program GUI's. It was merely asked was that what you used C for, and if not, what is C for. He didn't say he wanted a language a make GUI's with.

To be honest, I think you missed a lot when you learnt about C and C++.
    They are two very different beasts. You cannot learn one by learning the other

Ok apologies then, i misread the original... but nevertheless... your trying argue that learning C will be more useful for the OP than C++...
    I have to totally disagree... of course you can learn most if not all of the C coding techniques while learning C++... the similarities in what you can do cannot be denied surely!.. of course they are different beasts, that was never in question, and of course C is more tightly knitted than C++ that also was never in question, BUT was was said was that C++ opens a lot more doors for the OP as a base language than C does, there is more options to further progress into more powerful and robust languages from C++ than C... its undeniable...

Well, thanks for the argument (:D)

C++ or C??? That is the question...

I just want to learn something that will be useful in computer life and getting a job.

If I learn the two languages, i can put down C & C++ instead of one, can't I?

How long does it take to get up to the basics with C if you read and code for about 2 hours a day?

Well, thanks for the argument (:D)

C++ or C??? That is the question...

I just want to learn something that will be useful in computer life and getting a job.

If I learn the two languages, i can put down C & C++ instead of one, can't I?

How long does it take to get up to the basics with C if you read and code for about 2 hours a day?

How long is a piece of string?! :p

If you enjoy coding and have some prior experience with other languages then you should have no problems picking up C. At the start you shouldnt have any troubles with variables, simple loops, switch/case statements and all that jazz...
    Then the fun begins when you move onto arrays, pointers, dynamic alloc., but i think the first biggest step will be with regards pointers to be honest..

Its impossible to give a timeframe for when you could claim to be 'proficient' - it comes down to the individual... but I suppose you could compare the times you are talking about to classes... in which case a college course which would cover the book in 1-2 years would be 2/3 classes a week at an hour each... maybe one of my friends above could write a program to work it out for you in Fortran.. :rolleyes:

:p

I might start with that as I have the book now

You might also find some helpful info at...

http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html

And they have code snippets, examples and forums for help also - lot of handy info there... and they also cover C++ aswell

Best of luck and hope you stick with this one! ;)

I was just thinking, if C programs are run in command prompt, you could make a text based game played from command prompt?

New Challenge!!!

I was just thinking, if C programs are run in command prompt, you could make a text based game played from command prompt?

New Challenge!!!

Well ya gotta remember that most of the big named games all came from C programming... Quake was a revolutionary game and thats all C im pretty sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I thought quake was C++, or was that Q2?

Never played it. :(

• Advertisement

Evil Phil wrote: »
    I thought quake was C++, or was that Q2?

Nope C... (dont ya just love google?)...

http://inertia.curvedspaces.com/Articles/C_Game_Programming/C_Game_Programming.html

Quake 2 was C++ though i think your right... (too lazy to run another google)

Brilliant games... all those ones that came around that time were awesome.. Doom, DukeNukem etc etc..

Advertisement