Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Old Cement' Effect

Options
  • 09-07-2008 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm planning on building a stone wall with some Galway stone I have. I dont want to use standard cement for the pointing as it will look too pristine and new and will take away from the overall look. Can anyone suggest how I could make the cement look old so it would tie in with the old look of the stone? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

why dont you just use old mortar

its mortar that bonds the stone together. cement is an ingredient to the mortar.

( the old stuff is good you will still see it standing around ireland 100 years after it was laid
    i know if you have a higher proportion of sand in the mix it gives it an old fashioned look.

you have to watch the colour with this though.

i dont know much about old style mortar but i am sure somewhere here someone will know the recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Apparently yoghurt slathered liberally over cement will age it.
    I have heard of this being used on stone walls to get them to look weathered quickly.

the probiotic crap works on stone but not on mortar the cement creates a basic(as in oppisite to acidic) enviroment. works on stone but not on on the mortar joints

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

How about using a lime mortar with rough aggregate?
    It certainly won't have the sharp, smooth appearance of new concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bluscreendream

Thanks for all the great info lads. Hill Billy, is it possible to purchase lime mortar ready made?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

yeah i have seen it come in big buckets cant remeber where though.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Came across these guys a while ago....

http://www.traditionallime.com/

Thanks guys for all the info, I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

How about a dry stone wall..........no mortar of cement. They are becoming more popular in Galway as they look much better than pointed walls. All you need is enough stone and a good stone mason to build it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Old stone walls didn't use cement!
    Lime is great at circa €15 a bag, mixed slowly, adding water slowly, with Plasters sand - not building sand.
    Tradition Lime in Tullow are very helpful and will advise you.
    Lime moves so tradition stone walls didn't require pillars at 6m centres etc.

Its more expensive than cement but worth the look. Building Stone isn't cheap so lime isn't a great expense if you have the stone already!

• Advertisement

Hi RKQ, I have the stone already so Im going to guy the lime route, thanks for the info!

Advertisement