Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power ballads...

Options
  • 09-07-2008 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭

... are fupping quality. They're cheesy etc but one of the most enjoyable things in life is rocking out to a power ballad - screw being a purist. So what power ballads do you like? Both sexes are capable of delivering an awesomely OTT power ballad but my list contains mostly gals - I don't know why.

Pat Benatar - Love Is A Battlefield, We Belong (less airplay these days than Love Is A Battlefield but even better - melodramatic to a fault and even featuring a children's choir, the ultimate power tool).

Tina Turner - We Don't Need Another Hero (Thunderdome) (from the Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome soundtrack. Also featuring a children's choir. Awesome!)

Heart - These Dreams, Alone, and to a lesser extent All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You (these chicks are probably the creators of the power ballad).

Robin Beck - For The Very First Time (a Coca Cola ad classic).

Jennifer Rush - The Power of Love (the massiveness of the hair, the PVC-ness of the clothes, the drama of the video - they don't make 'em like that anymore).

Whitesnake - Here I Go Again, Is This Love? (Dave Coverdale was all man but not afraid to show his feelings).

REO Speedwagon (yes, I admit it!) - Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore, I'm Just Gonna Keep On Loving You (songs to really make you "mullet" over - heh).

Foreigner - I Wanna Know What Love Is (that dude was in so much pain and dammit, he wasn't gonna hold those feelings in).

Berlin - Take My Breath Away (from a simpler time before Tom Cruise went batty and filmed various homoerotic scenes for Top Gun, on whose soundtrack this classic features).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I like "Love Is A Battlefield" but I've always hated "Take My Breath Away"

But the Ultimate Power Ballad for me is "Total Eclipse of The Heart".

I've promised myself I will sing scream it at a karaoke event some day! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Hmmm... a very obvious one but neglected by me as I just don't like it. That vid though, aces the power ballad test - a church, an altar boy choir, a storm, the church turning upside down etc...

Jim Steinman, who wrote and produced that song, may have worked with Meatloaf (I don't hate all his stuff but I hate most of it, it sucks) and Celine Dion (:eek:) but I'm prepared to forgive him as he could do "power" like possibly nobody else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Showing your age there Dudess. I betya even have an old wooden tennis racket to play air guitar with as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I've always hated "Take My Breath Away"

It was the death of the band too.

Pigman II wrote: »
    Showing your age there Dudess. I betya even have an old wooden tennis racket to play air guitar with as well!
    Three of them! And swingball rackets too...

• Advertisement

The video freaks me out a bit - especially when their eyes glow! Doesn't appear to make any sense...

I just love how the song is so dramatic and ridiculously OTT. Bonnie Tyler sings "passionately" one could say! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Dudess wrote: »
    ... are fupping quality. They're cheesy etc but one of the most enjoyable things in life is rocking out to a power ballad - screw being a purist. So what power ballads do you like? Both sexes are capable of delivering an awesomely OTT power ballad but my list contains mostly gals - I don't know why.

Pat Benatar - Love Is A Battlefield, We Belong (less airplay these days than Love Is A Battlefield but even better - melodramatic to a fault and even featuring a children's choir, the ultimate power tool).

Tina Turner - We Don't Need Another Hero (Thunderdome) (from the Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome soundtrack. Also featuring a children's choir. Awesome!)

Heart - These Dreams, Alone, and to a lesser extent All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You (these chicks are probably the creators of the power ballad).

Robin Beck - For The Very First Time (a Coca Cola ad classic).

Jennifer Rush - The Power of Love (the massiveness of the hair, the PVC-ness of the clothes, the drama of the video - they don't make 'em like that anymore).

Whitesnake - Here I Go Again, Is This Love? (Dave Coverdale was all man but not afraid to show his feelings).

REO Speedwagon (yes, I admit it!) - Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore, I'm Just Gonna Keep On Loving You (songs to really make you "mullet" over - heh).

Foreigner - I Wanna Know What Love Is (that dude was in so much pain and dammit, he wasn't gonna hold those feelings in).

Berlin - Take My Breath Away (from a simpler time before Tom Cruise went batty and filmed various homoerotic scenes for Top Gun, on whose soundtrack this classic features).

How can you like these but not 'Winds of Change'?!?!

Does 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' count?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Can't believe the true heavyweight of the power ballad has been ignored - Meatloaf. Bat out of Hell is one of the all time classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Ah you can't beat a bit of Whitesnake or Journey to finish off that homemade classic rock playlist.

Damn you Dudess you've got me humming Here I Go Again now...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Try and get some male ones in..

Queen - We Are the champions

Guns N Roses - november Rain

Robbie Williams - Angels

Prince - Purple Rain

Ben E King - stand by me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Bonnie Tyler sings "passionately" one could say! :D

Ms. Tyler singing "Hero" ftw!!!

Dudess, I'll swap you a swing ball set for a hopper ball...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Wreck wrote: »
    Can't believe the true heavyweight of the power ballad has been ignored - Meatloaf. Bat out of Hell is one of the all time classics.

hahaha, forgot all about him...

no Celine dion either scandless!

Ah I mentioned the Loaf and Total Eclipse of the Heart in post #3.

Ooh yes, Journey. Don't Stop Believing - well could it possibly rawk more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭coady

Whitesnake are the kings of Power Ballads

on their album 1987 they have 3 . 2 already mentioned and also my favorite .. "looking for love"

g'em wrote: »
    Ms. Tyler singing "Hero" ftw!!!

Dudess, I'll swap you a swing ball set for a hopper ball...
    I was crap at all that stuff - loloballs nearly killed me, as did rollerskates and skateboards. I sucked at hoola hoops too.

I wasn't bad at skipping and elastics though :)

I'd forgotten about MeatLoaf - "I Would Do Anything For Love..." would be another fantastic karaoke tune! :D

I got sick of that feckin' Journey song the 6 millionth time I heard it on the radio - damn you Tony Soprano *shakes fist* :mad:

Journey also have a song called " only the young " would this be classes as a power ballad?

coady wrote: »
    Journey also have a song called " only the young " would this be classes as a power ballad?

Upload a video clip of yourself singing along and rocking out to it so we can decide :p

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Have you all forgotten "Asia - The Heat Of The Moment" ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Bonnie Tyler - Holding Out For A Hero..............ah the end of Short Circuit......gets me here everytime....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I wasn't bad at skipping and elastics though :)

Elastics!!!!! Yessssss!!! Oh the memories are flooding back now :o

The Cars - Drive; major lump in throat time

Edit - that's not really "power" though is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Foreigner and Mr. Mister were also good ones for an oul power ballad.

And Roxette - 'Listen to Your Heart' is amazing.

Rickroll?

Every Rose Has Its Thorn by Poison also deserves a mention. I'm actually singing along to it in my head right now.

I hate rick roll , dont worry just the song I mentioned

Def Leppard's Hysteria has some awesome power ballads on it - Love Bites ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

IMO, no, but you could include Lights, Who's Cryin' Now, Faithfully, Open Arms, etc., etc. by the same band

A Man I'll Never Be by Boston or I Remember You by Skid Row are real power ballads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Def Leppard's Hysteria has some awesome power ballads on it - Love Bites ftw.

Two Steps Behind and When Love And Hate Collide...wimptastic!!

Oh man, Boston! How could I forget More Than A Feeling?! It rocks like no other!

Jim Diamond - Should Have Known Better sucks but is SO a power ballad. Another song by him called I Won't Let You Down (with the group PhD :confused:) has terrible verses but a pretty good chorus, then it gets really epic towards the end and is totally awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Cutting crews ' i just died in your arms ' and ' dont fear the reaper 'by blue oyster cult are up there with the best imo

Advertisement