Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power ballads...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Time after Time

The greatest of them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Don't Fear The Reaper is an absolute classic which makes beautiful use of the cowbell, but is it a power ballad? I personally don't think so. Where is the cheese, the melodrama, the big hair?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I wanna see a classic rock forum on boards.
    I heartily endorse Power ballads.
    Please show your support here!

Oh and

BTW :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Autograph-Turn Up The Radio.

Hair-check
    80s-check
    Cheese-oh hell yes, check

Dudess wrote: »
    Don't Fear The Reaper is an absolute classic which makes beautiful use of the cowbell, but is it a power ballad? I personally don't think so. Where is the cheese, the melodrama, the big hair?

Total power ballad in my opinion.
    And Freakiest outiest solo ever!

• Advertisement

Oh my god. Did we forget poison? Every rose has its thorn?
    ZOMG!
    NOES!!!!
    WE all fail.

Calm down dr. It was mentioned several posts ago...

Calm down dr. It was mentioned several posts ago...

/comes back to life.
    Every doctor sings a sad sad song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Anyone mention Pat Benatar Shadows of the Night? Class song

I wanna see a classic rock forum on boards.
    Gets a massive thumbs-up from me. And yes, while Patti Smith would puke all over her dog-eared Rimbaud collection at the thought of being in the same company as Foreigner, Heart et al, Because The Night is most certainly a power ballad.

Kayleigh by Marillion is another stormin', corkin' power ballad.

• Advertisement

Then please show your support here!
    Please? I need some mod love.
    Ole Karl hates the idea.
    I can see his point. But I think it isnt really represented in the existing forum structure. See how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I was going to kick DFTR into touch but i am going with dr bollocko (below) on this
    Total power ballad in my opinion.
    And Freakiest outiest solo ever!

Very freaky indeed and a bit out of sync with rest of track imo.

Maybe that's why it's in the half way house of power ballads

Then please show your support here!
    Please? I need some mod love.
    Ole Karl hates the idea.
    I can see his point. But I think it isnt really represented in the existing forum structure. See how it goes.
    I've given my support. Yeah, your suggestion has made Karl very cross indeed. I wanted to start a classic indie forum last year and it brought out the angry young man in him then too (to be fair, it wasn't a great idea - however this is a great one...)

Anyhoo, more power ballads: Don Henley - that man could record a very powerful ditty indeed. New York Minute (imagine the royalties 9/11 generated for him) and of course Boys of Summer - class. Probably not as bombastic as most power ballads - it has a gentler sound - but ticks the other boxes.

And Lynyrd Skynyrd's Freebird, although not a cheesy 80s power ballad (the prototype) it also ticks a lot of the boxes.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Foreigner and Mr. Mister were also good ones for an oul power ballad.
    Mr Mister - Kyrie or Take These Broken Wings? It's a difficult one...
    And Roxette - 'Listen to Your Heart' is amazing.
    It Must Have Been Love is pretty powertastic too... Actually Fading Like A Flower is the best (imo). That pretty piano segment that sounds oh so mellow but then suddenly BAM!!! A mean geetar power-chord blows your eardrums...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkDWWnK9JSQ
    Then it goes and rips off More Than a Feeling in the chorus but hey, very few power ballads didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mr Mister - Kyrie or Take These Broken Wings? It's a difficult one...

Tis but I'd have to go with 'Broken Wings'. It's just so good.
    It Must Have Been Love is pretty powertastic too... Actually Fading Like A Flower is the best (imo). That pretty piano segment that sounds oh so mellow but then suddenly BAM!!! A mean geetar power-chord blows your eardrums...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkDWWnK9JSQ
    Then it goes and rips off More Than a Feeling in the chorus but hey, very few power ballads didn't.

Yeah 'Fading Like A Flower' is pretty damn superb as well (although didn't some skanger turn it into a dance song about two years ago? Disgraceful). In fact, Roxette's greatest hits is an essential imo. Might go stick it on now actually.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

I did a power ballad compilation there a while ago for a few friends. Check out this tracklist.
    My work is done. I've carefully selected 14 of the finest power ballads imagineable. All more or less exact copies of each other due to my strick stylistic criteria.

1. When in Rome : The promise
    2. Foreigner : I wanna know what love is
    3. T'Pau : China in your hand
    4. Berlin : Take my breath away
    5. Cutting Crew : I just died in your arms
    6. Alphaville : Forever Young
    7. Cars : Drive
    8. John Farnham : The voice
    9. Heart : Alone
    10. Bangles : Eternal Flame
    11. Bonnie Tyler : Total eclipse of the heart
    12. Scorpions : Wind of Change
    13. Jennifer Rush : The power of love
    14. Maria McKee : Show me heaven

http://rapidshare.com/files/110029625/Love_and_Pain.rar.html

Ah good call on John Farnham, though if he qualifies then so must Toto with 'Africa'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Pat Benatar - Love Is A Battlefield

That song is not a ballad :rolleyes:

chin_grin wrote: »
    Bonnie Tyler - Holding Out For A Hero..............ah the end of Short Circuit......gets me here everytime....

That's not a ballad either :rolleyes:

IanCurtis wrote: »
    That song is not a ballad :rolleyes:
    LOL - that really warrants the rolleyes symbol. Itching for a reason to act obnoxiously again are ya?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

ntlbell wrote: »
    Try and get some male ones in..

Queen - We Are the champions

Guns N Roses - november Rain

Robbie Williams - Angels

Prince - Purple Rain

Ben E King - stand by me

stand by me isnt a power ballad and i would not really associate any of those songs with the term power balads

a power balad needs to be for the most part from the 1980,s
    be full of fake emotion and chock full of crap lyrics that speak of undieing love and unquenchable heartbreak combined with a guitarist whos hair is bigger than the entire set

LOL - that really warrants the rolleyes symbol. Itching for a reason to act obnoxiously again are ya?!

Well if you're gonna start a thread on ballads, you should probably know what they are first!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

With "always", Bon jovi proved that there was still a place for cheese-filled emotionally driven power-ballads in the "i'm too cool for school" culture of the mid-nineties.

Take a bow, Men....

Aerosmith had the audacity to turn out a prototypical power ballad in the noughties and it was still huge for **** sake! No matter what anyone says, power ballads are as infectiously catchy as they are cheesy, and everyone loves them, really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

irish_bob wrote: »

be full of fake emotion and chock full of crap lyrics that speak of undieing love and unquenchable heartbreak combined with a guitarist whos hair is bigger than the entire set

Also has to have a bit where all the music cuts out and there is a drum part (duh-duh-duh-du-du-du-du-duh) before all the music comes back in.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

irish_bob wrote: »

True, but just about the only power ballad I like is from the 70s, Take It to the Limit by the Eagles. It had a full blown orchestra on it, how much more power do you need? :)

To be fair to IanCurtis, this thread should be called "Power ballads/anthems". Some songs mentioned here have the melodrama etc but are not ballads.

This is my favourite power ballad, always gets me going (sob)

God yeah, Chicago/Pete Cetera (The Glory of Love from Karate Kid). Power ballad/anthem kings!

Speaking of Karate Kid: The Best Around is a serious power anthem, as is The Touch by Stan Bush (from the 80s animated Transformers movie).

Oh yeah and St Elmo's Fire (Man in Motion) by John Parr - on a "parr" (heh) with More Than a Feeling in terms of rock-out factor.

Climate Expert: Forever Young is actually a brilliant song (cuz while I do like a lot of these songs in some ways, I also think they're sh1t :) - not trying to reclaim "indie cool" or be ironic or anything but I genuinely do see the awfulness, along with the goodness, in them). Ditto China In Your Hand - superb.

T'Pau's 'China In Your Hand' is an absolute classic. Completely forgot about that one. Must try get a copy of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Does Hard Habit to Break by Chicago qualify?

Heart - These Dreams, Alone, and to a lesser extent All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You (these chicks are probably the creators of the power ballad).

Had a secret crush-that-could-never-be-uttered-to-indie-mates on these.

Advertisement