Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiggle - Price Increases & Product Restrictions

Options
  • 09-07-2008 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Was browsing round Wiggle yesterday look at a few bits and pieces. They've re-designed the website so you can pick your currency and destination at the top of each page. When I changed the destination to "Irish Republic" the list price of each product changed. Thought it was odd as it wasn't like this on the old site.

Anyhow, I email wiggle sales and after a few mails back and forth I get a mail from the finance director. Turns out they've exceeded the VAT threshold for importing into Ireland and they must now register for VAT with Revenue and charged Irish VAT of 21% (rather than UK 17.5%). Hence the increase in prices.

Also - and this will comes as a big shock to the focus fanboys on here - it appears they no longer ship Focus bikes to Ireland. They do ship other brands of bikes, but if you change you're destination to "Irish Republic" and go to say, road bikes, you'll see no Focus bikes listed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

MadHatter wrote: »
    Also - and this will comes as a big shock to the focus fanboys on here - it appears they no longer ship Focus bikes to Ireland. They do ship other brands of bikes, but if you change you're destination to "Irish Republic" and go to say, road bikes, you'll see no Focus bikes listed.

F**k the VAT thing, what's going on with Focus! Does that mean there's going to be a new distributer in Ireland or what? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Man, I can't forking believe this! Just as I am about to order a Focus Cayo (subject to having the funds available tomorrow). I was just on the site and came back to post a new thread along the lines of 'this can't be right can it?'

Brilliant. Oh god this hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

On the plus side they now do free delivery to Ireland with no minimum spend.

unionman wrote: »
    Man, I can't forking believe this! Just as I am about to order a Focus Cayo (subject to having the funds available tomorrow). I was just on the site and came back to post a new thread along the lines of 'this can't be right can it?'

Brilliant. Oh god this hurts.

Have sent them an email to try and clarify, so let's try not to panic!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

That's classic ... I am not surprised this happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

I was on there today myself - was told they wouldn't ship chain cleaner to the republic. Also went through their stock, spent a good 30/45 mins (instead of working...) building up a purchasing list in my 'wishlist'. Went back to it 5 mins later and..."Your wishlist is empty". Baxtards.

Having emailed them on previous occasions I don't find them particularly friendly or helpful either.

blorg wrote: »
    On the plus side they now do free delivery to Ireland with no minimum spend.

Mmmmm, spoken like a man who already owns a Cayo. I wanted to be one of those.:(
    Have sent them an email to try and clarify, so let's try not to panic!

Yeah, me too, though I have to admit I'm not feeling optimistic.:(
    That's classic ... I am not surprised this happening.

Why not surprised? (I'm flabbergasted:(:(:(:()

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Turns out they've exceeded the VAT threshold for importing into Ireland and they must now register for VAT with Revenue and charged Irish VAT of 21% (rather than UK 17.5%). Hence the increase in prices.

Very interesting. I wasn't aware of this at all. I'd always thought you could sell as much as you liked online to other countries in the EU and charge your own rate of VAT.

You see this from time to time and it usually has to do with distribution agreements. Some sites seem more strict about enforcing them than others, or maybe they have gotten different terms from the manufacturer. Sounds like Focus may have found an Irish distributor. If so, mightn't work out too well for them given the main attraction was their pricing. With the usual Irish markups attached I'm wondering if they're going to do as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

el tonto wrote: »
    Very interesting. I wasn't aware of this at all. I'd always thought you could sell as much as you liked online to other countries in the EU and charge your own rate of VAT.

I thought this too. But I when I got the mail explaining the change in pricing I googled it and found this from Revenue.

http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/vat_foreign_suppliers.htm

An upper limit of €35,000 - after that you must register for Irish VAT

You see this from time to time and it usually has to do with distribution agreements. Some sites seem more strict about enforcing them than others, or maybe they have gotten different terms from the manufacturer. Sounds like Focus may have found an Irish distributor. If so, mightn't work out too well for them given the main attraction was their pricing. With the usual Irish markups attached I'm wondering if they're going to do as well.

That's why I suspect a change of Distributor -though on the Focus website, it does say that Wiggle are the sole supplier to the UK and Ireland...

Maybe it's time to get a Northern Irish PO Box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

yeah a Northern Po Box if your looking for a Focus. I think for ordering anything else its not a huge increase paying the VAT increase and you get free shipping as mentioned. still works out better than Irish prices

That's why I suspect a change of Distributor -though on the Focus website, it does say that Wiggle are the sole supplier to the UK and Ireland...

Maybe it's time to get a Northern Irish PO Box?

Time to talk to friends up north about taking delivery of a bicycle?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Are they still comptetive with the new pricing?

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Are they still comptetive with the new pricing?

Well, the Cayo is more or less the same, but then they're not shipping here so the VAT rate probably isn't applied.

This sucks.:mad:

I was on there today myself - was told they wouldn't ship chain cleaner to the republic. Also went through their stock, spent a good 30/45 mins (instead of working...) building up a purchasing list in my 'wishlist'. Went back to it 5 mins later and..."Your wishlist is empty". Baxtards.
    I presume you were trying to buy an aerosol chain cleaner? They won't ship them, it is something to do with airline regulations. I had that issue but I've bought Park Tool citrus chain cleaner and Fenwicks FS1 from them recently no problem. They are having a few issues with their site since they redesigned- I imagine that is what happened to your wishlist. Personally I was very annoyed to see they had only 1 Gore Waterproof jacket left- happened to be my size, 75% or something off, ordered it and got an email this morning to say unfortunately they didn't have it after all. Gave me a voucher for a fiver by way of apology but I would have preferred the jacket!

Regarding their response to emails, I'd say they are flooded with the redesign issues. They are generally very responsive and have great customer service, just recently their prices have shot up (unrelated to the VAT issue) to the point they are rarely cheaper then CRC/PBK unless they have a monster discount on something.
    No, if you export over the VAT registration threshold into another EU country you must register for VAT there- the limit is actually quite low, €70,000 per year. Amazon changed this a fair few years ago. TBH I suspect there are a lot of sellers over the €70,000 sales in Ireland who maybe just don't realise they have to do this. The Irish Revenue have become more proactive in pursuing foreign companies with regard to VAT registration I believe. I would be gobsmacked if CRC was not obliged to register but they probably just don't realise (or are ignoring it.)
    I'm pissed off at this too, was thinking of buying another Focus bike myself at the end of the summer if the prices on the 2008 models came down. Might have to find someone in the North to take delivery! I've seen a lot of Focus bikes about on the roads and I agree their sales will not do well here if they have the typical Irish mark-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

blorg wrote: »
    just recently their prices have shot up (unrelated to the VAT issue) to the point they are rarely cheaper then CRC/PBK unless they have a monster discount on something.

Agreed. Their list prices can a bit hit and miss at times. A pump I was looking at recently would cost me €23.72 with the £50+ discount. I picked it up last Sat in CycleSuperStore for €22.95.

But when they discount the list price of a product there can be good bargins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Stupid plonkers. The new site looks crap, and now they're trying to shaft us as well. I would imagine that it would be extremely difficult for revenue to track down which products come from Wiggle in the post, especially if they remove the sticker from the box. All it serves them is that I, and I suspect many people, will order less from them.
    As for the focus bikes, WTF? I was looking at ordering one of them probably in sept/oct, when the new stock comes in. Can't understand it. Talk about alienating your customers, and killing the golden goose! Muppets.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

So, if Focus is no longer an option, I'm wondering what brand is going to be the next "Boards value bike".

So, if Focus is no longer an option, I'm wondering what brand is going to be the next "Boards value bike".

Well, I'm looking forward to seeing whatever might emerge, because I am back to the drawing board now.

planetX probably?

• Advertisement

I really can't see Focus being completely unavailable over here, it's got to be a glitch, or new distributer or something, so don't go jumping off the Focus bandwaggon yet folks :)

ah yeah but at what price? If there's an irish distributor that means they'll be available in say Cycleways or Cyclogical or something - cue 50% markup. They're no longer great value at that price.
    edit: I emailed http://www.focus-bikes.de/ (via their contact link) asking them who the distributor in ireland was, saying that wiggle used supply to ireland but now don't, and if an irish distributor has now taken over they won't sell so many bikes in ireland at the prices charged by the shops here. Will see what they come back with, if at all. Worth a shot.

Canyon Roadlite 4.0? Aluminium frame, Ritchey carbon forks, 105 and Aksiums. €849 and shipping apparently is €35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

That's a steal!

I really can't see Focus being completely unavailable over here, it's got to be a glitch, or new distributer or something, so don't go jumping off the Focus bandwaggon yet folks :)

I've received an email from Wiggle to say it's a glitch.

Watch this space.

Watch this space.

Not suprising -could be that the filter was meant for US, or other European desinations, and is applied to Ireland by mistake

Watch this space.

Phew!

Sounds like half the people on here were planning on upgrading to a carbon Focus?

kenmc wrote: »
    Stupid plonkers. The new site looks crap, and now they're trying to shaft us as well. I would imagine that it would be extremely difficult for revenue to track down which products come from Wiggle in the post, especially if they remove the sticker from the box. All it serves them is that I, and I suspect many people, will order less from them.
    It's a legal requirement and I don't blame them for following the law. Once you get to a certain size it becomes impractical to try to scoot around this sort of stuff. The EU law was changed in this regard a few years ago to stop all online companies registering in Luxembourg.

• Advertisement

Thank you for your email.

We do actually send Focus bikes to Ireland but unfortunately there is a glitch with our website which we are trying to sort out.

If you want to place an order the best thing to do is to enter our postcode PO6 3TU na the delivery country as the UK. This will get your order to us.
    In the order notes please put the full correct delivery address so that we can then amend this at this end.
    Many thanks

-from Wiggle
    :D

Advertisement