Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiggle - Price Increases & Product Restrictions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I was keeping my eye on an Assos Guilet on Wiggle until the new site (and VAT) bumped up the price :mad: I was just waiting for the second mortgage to be approved so I could buy it, now I have to sell the car too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

How much have the prices gone up by? Wouldn't have thought an increase in 3.5% on the VAT would make too much difference? Should be an extra 2.97 per 100 GBP

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

penexpers wrote: »
    How much have the prices gone up by? Wouldn't have thought an increase in 3.5% on the VAT would make too much difference? Should be an extra 2.97 per 100 GBP
    Yes, it's around that, not a lot- but Wiggle have increased their prices in general a few months ago.

el tonto wrote: »
    Sounds like half the people on here were planning on upgrading to a carbon Focus?
    I was thinking of one of their mountain bikes, although if the Izalco Team with SRAM Red was heavily discounted in my size at the end of the summer I would find it difficult to hold back... Had that on order in March-April but was waiting over a month and needed a bike for the Wicklow 200 and the run-up events.

Focus need to do a fixie I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Admittedly yes it hasn't gone up THAT much but it's an increase nonetheless. I've been hoping it'd come down in price. Ho hum.

CRC's next I bet unless there's some north - south agreement in there somewhere, cross boarder cooperation and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

Between gold discount and the £50+ discount there are still great prices to be had.

I've just ordered a toolkit which probably weighs 3kg and they ship it for free - not many British retailers engage with the Irish market like wiggle do and it's a testament to their good practice that they've done enough business to go over the vat threshold.

Saying that I bought a cassette on chain reaction last night because it was a few quid cheaper.

kenmc - you can't really expect a business like Wiggle to commit tax fraud for your benefit can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Thank you for your email.

We do actually send Focus bikes to Ireland but unfortunately there is a glitch with our website which we are trying to sort out.

If you want to place an order the best thing to do is to enter our postcode PO6 3TU na the delivery country as the UK. This will get your order to us.
    In the order notes please put the full correct delivery address so that we can then amend this at this end.
    Many thanks

-from Wiggle
    :D

Yep, same note I got.:D

stuf wrote: »
    Between gold discount and the £50+ discount there are still great prices to be had.
    I have the platinum discount (which would give you an idea of how much I buy from them) and honestly unless something is already heavily discounted they are rarely the cheapest any more. Those discounts only kick in if the thing isn't already discounted in any case!

This is only in recent months, but everything I have been comparing (cassette, mudguards, track pump off the top of my head) has been cheaper on CRC/PBK, even with all the discounts taken into consideration.

Wiggle do still have bargains but it's more on individual products (like they feature on their Monday specials) and end of line stuff (price drop category) rather than across their entire stock line. The dropping of the £50 minimum spend should see me hoovering up a fair few more of these.

blorg wrote: »
    The dropping of the £50 minimum spend should see me hoovering up a fair few more of these.

Never noticed the £50 - all you had to do for free delivery was remove priority shipping from the order - things still shipped within the day anyway

This is very possible, I never tried that but always presumed it was over £50 as they say: "Free delivery is available to every country that wiggle deliver to although each country outside of the UK has its own minimum spend to qualify for free delivery" (used to mention free delivery to Europe over £50 and included Ireland in that list.) They only mention free delivery to the UK - but others have told me recently that there has been no minimum for Ireland before (I think they see it as part of the UK :)) and fair enough I tried it with a £5 pair of gloves and it worked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

stuf wrote: »
    kenmc - you can't really expect a business like Wiggle to commit tax fraud for your benefit can you?
    Hardly for my benefit to be honest, more for theirs, if they want sales. Now it means that places like CRC and PBK etc become even more competitive, what with Wiggle increasing their base prices, and then changing the vat rate for irish-shipped goods. Now that they've dropped the (debated) minumum 50quid order, there's no need to pad the order up to 50 anymore, so it's only for stuff that they're cheaper on that I'll use them, whereas before I'd take for example 3 things they were cheaper on, and take a slight hit on something that they were a bit more expensive than CRC on to get the 50 quid.

My method generally involves doing up a spreadsheet that lists all the possible variants I could be possibly interested in, and then listing the prices across Wiggle, CRC, PBK and anyone else I can find via bikepimp.co.uk - I then factor in postage, few more formulas, and I am done.

I then sit on it, undecided on the tiniest minor detail, until CRC (who are cheapest) or occasionally PBK runs out of stock. Thankfully both have email stock alert systems.

I am still looking for the aforementioned cassette, mudguards and track pump!

This costs me months but saves me as much as £3 (and at least 50p.)

I am going to get started on the process with some tyres next, I expect I'll have them for the autumn.

blorg wrote: »
    My method generally involves doing up a spreadsheet that lists all the possible variants I could be possibly interested in, and then listing the prices across Wiggle, CRC, PBK and anyone else I can find via bikepimp.co.uk - I then factor in postage, few more formulas, and I am done.

I then sit on it, undecided on the tiniest minor detail, until CRC (who are cheapest) or occasionally PBK runs out of stock. Thankfully both have email stock alert systems.

I am still looking for the aforementioned cassette, mudguards and track pump!

This costs me months but saves me as much as £3 (and at least 50p.)

I am going to get started on the process with some tyres next, I expect I'll have them for the autumn.

You should sell those spread sheets at €1 a go ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

MadHatter wrote: »
    Turns out they've exceeded the VAT threshold for importing into Ireland and they must now register for VAT with Revenue and charged Irish VAT of 21% (rather than UK 17.5%). Hence the increase in prices.

That's crazy. I thought we were supposed to be able to purchase goods from another member state and pay only the taxes and duties applying in that state. Which part of 'single market' does the Irish Revenue Commissioners not understand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭liamtinney

If you want cheap bikes Trek and Giant can be bought up north for less than Irish shop's can buy them from there suppliers, You can buy a Trek 1.7 for about €950 or a Giant SCR 3 for about €600, TCR advanced for €4300, try Roe Valley Cycles in Limavady You might have to call in in person, but there is massive savings to be made in the north,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Looks like they have fixed the Focus glitch.

Looks like they have fixed the Focus glitch.

Yeah, happy days. Finally placing my order for the Cayo:D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

unionman wrote: »
    Yeah, happy days. Finally placing my order for the Cayo:D

Another proud Focus owner. Boards should start negotiating group discounts.

Another proud Focus owner. Boards should start negotiating group discounts.

C'mon, there aren't that many...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

C'mon, there aren't that many...:rolleyes:

It's not a bad thing. They're getting rave reviews here.

• Advertisement

It's not a bad thing. They're getting rave reviews here.

Sure that's what sold me on it. Great to be able to order with some confidence.

Still trying to figure if we've met through the job?

It would have been over the phone if anything. And its been a good while since I've been covering stuff that would have had us crossing paths, so I don't know.

It would have been over the phone if anything. And its been a good while since I've been covering stuff that would have had us crossing paths, so I don't know.

I'll introduce myself at the next spin. Short chubby lad on a Cayo, you can't miss me:)

I'll introduce myself at the next spin. Short chubby lad on a Cayo, you can't miss me:)

I look forward to it. Hopefully the first of many.

Advertisement