Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North of Dublin

Options
  • 09-07-2008 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever surfed North Dublin, Meath, Louth? What conditions would there need to be to take a look?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭fireplace1982

when hell freezes over it should be worth checking out, could be double overhead

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

when the main thing creating the surf is local weather systems, not swells wrapping up from the south atlantic, north co Dublin "works". Not great, but sure you see lads out in onshore slop in the winter sometimes. Not my cuppa, but it does the trick for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

when hell freezes over it should be worth checking out, could be double overhead

The way the summers are going here, that might be soon :D

Fuzzy, whereabouts have you seen lads out?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Ahh from a drive up and around the place you'll see some wee waves yourself. Changes depending on conditions. I wouldn't bother getting in myself, but have a gander. Pretty much anywhere on the coast will get some waves some of the time.
    Theres no point listing out a load of breaks, but better off is getting some decent coastal maps, having a good look at swell charts, and wind forecasts. Pay special attention to the spectral charts if you can get your hands on them.

Teach a man to fish and all that :)

Thanks Fuzzy. Appreciate the advice.
    What are spectral charts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭COOKSTER

I've surfed NE coast a good few times this year, Dublin/Louth. Only once was it worth talking about for me(2 foot, off-shore, sun spilitting the trees). It is do-able, you need to spend a good bit of time driving to find the spots cos most will only work for a short time.
    There is very rarely much swell, it's gonna be in the 6inch to 2 foot, so not much shorter than a 7'3 unless you're really light. Look for wind fetch and lows North or South of Irish sea.
    You can't be fussy and have to be persistent, being satisfied with mush helps, as does not having to drive for 3-4 hours to a flat west coast
    Let me know how you get on

C

Thanks Cookster. I have a friend who lives near Gormanstown so hoping he can alert me to the conditions once in a while.

Advertisement