Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone got knowledge of '01 Mondeo Zetec TD (not TDCi) engine?

Options
  • 09-07-2008 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

Potential stupid question time. My Mondeo is approaching 50k miles since it had the engine replaced and I can't for the life of me tell from the service book firstly whether it has a timing belt or chain and secondly if it's a belt what the replacement interval is. It's a 2.0 TD engine and while it was replaced by Ford in 2005 the previous owner was certain that it was replaced like for like with a TD engine and not the newer TDCi. Anyone know these engines well enough to say for certain if/when it will need to be replaced?

(Service book lists several differant options for cambelt replacement, none of which I can identify as my own and several I can't rule out)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Stealdo wrote: »
    Potential stupid question time. My Mondeo is approaching 50k miles since it had the engine replaced and I can't for the life of me tell from the service book firstly whether it has a timing belt or chain and secondly if it's a belt what the replacement interval is. It's a 2.0 TD engine and while it was replaced by Ford in 2005 the previous owner was certain that it was replaced like for like with a TD engine and not the newer TDCi. Anyone know these engines well enough to say for certain if/when it will need to be replaced?

(Service book lists several differant options for cambelt replacement, none of which I can identify as my own and several I can't rule out)

Hi Stealdo

Firstly, If you have any doubt at all that the timing belt needs doing then get it done. a new belt is a few 100 euro a new engine is a few thousand...

If you cant see in the service history whether the timing belt has been done or not check on the engine block, Nice guys usually paint on the belt on on the engine block beside the belt how many miles were done when the belt was last changed

hope this helps

Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Are they not all chain cam engines? I think they are.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

maidhc wrote: »
    Are they not all chain cam engines? I think they are.

I think so too.

Advertisement