Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got my house valued

Options
  • 09-07-2008 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

All I live in ( near ) Ballybrack . Got my house valued this week , dropped in value by 20% ?!?!?!?!? ....

Anyone else have major valuation drops recently ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Tell the Estate agent you live in Killiney and ask for another valuation ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Masta Chief

lol good idea , " wonders if it will work ???? " .... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

At this stage I'd try to put drops out of your mind. You can drive yourself mad thinking about it.

Anyone getting a valuation today is going to get a much reduced price compared to 2006/2007, those heady days are gone. It's out of your control, and just remember your home is still the same.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op dont worry about the value of your house unless your actually intent of selling.

I bought last year but wont be selling for at least 5 years. I'd say about 30k has been wiped off my house but in the medium term it will rebound and I'll have a good bit paid off the mortgage hopefully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It still must hurt to think that you've wasted 30K in one year.

How is it wasted??? You own a home, somewhere you live. Would it be better to give the money to someone else while you rent? I doubt it. The money isn't wasted, it's invested in your future.

Market prices go up and down. It's life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Masta Chief, all other houses you intend to buy have dropped in price too and that means less stamp duty to pay if you intend to buy (assumption is your gonna move and have to pay stamp)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Paulw wrote: »
    How is it wasted??? You own a home, somewhere you live. Would it be better to give the money to someone else while you rent? I doubt it. The money isn't wasted, it's invested in your future.

Market prices go up and down. It's life.

Other than paying 30k rent in one year on a palace, the guy renting has saved at least 15k in one year if he was paying 15k rent in the first place. (most people pay max rent at this level )

Point being, he's saved a packet by waiting a year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

It still must hurt to think that you've wasted 30K in one year.

Not really, myself and the OH were paying a lot in rent with nothing to show for it. We had a good bit of savings. We could stay in our house for the rest of our lives if we needed. We don't have to move but probably will.
    Our mortgage is very affordable as we didn't buy a massive house in D4.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

All I live in ( near ) Ballybrack . Got my house valued this week , dropped in value by 20% ?!?!?!?!? ....
    Irrelevant unless you are trading or mortgaging.

Advertisement