Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on first car

Options
  • 09-07-2008 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi, about to bite the bullet and buy my first car but looking for advice.
    Budget €9,000, would prefer 5 door, low mileage
    Its really going to be a run around but might drive to work a day a week (50km)
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hdunne

my 1st car was a seat, they are great, engine never gave me any trouble at all. mine was a seat arosa which is a small car but you sould go with seat ibiza or something, they come in 5 door and are lovely. i would go for seat, volkswagon type for reliability because you dont want to put money in fixing it. do not buy a fita punto, i have one now and its bad look, crashed and fixed, broke down la la la :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

hdunne wrote: »
    my 1st car was a seat, they are great, engine never gave me any trouble at all. mine was a seat arosa which is a small car but you sould go with seat ibiza or something, they come in 5 door and are lovely. i would go for seat, volkswagon type for reliability because you dont want to put money in fixing it. do not buy a fita punto, i have one now and its bad look, crashed and fixed, broke down la la la :mad:

VW marketing at work again. They are not bullet proof as so many people think.

Anyway - 9k on a first car that will just be a run about? I'd say you could get a decent one for half that price. Do you care about the fuel economy or performance?

eoin_s wrote: »
    VW marketing at work again. They are not bullet proof as so many people think.

Anyway - 9k on a first car that will just be a run about? I'd say you could get a decent one for half that price. Do you care about the fuel economy or performance?

marketing??? i drove a seat which was made by VW you muppet, its not marketing

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

hdunne wrote: »
    marketing??? i drove a seat which was made by VW you muppet, its not marketing

Do not resort to name calling, it's very childish. I am aware that SEAT are owned by VW, but I do not subscribe to this idea that VWs are bullet proof like their marketing campaigns make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

hdunne ...keep it civil !

• Advertisement

did i say bullet proof? sorry how stupid of me to not put seat in upper caps

best of luck with your new car, people will tell you what not to buy just make sure they have had personal experience, alot of people have alot of opinions, especially in here! your budget is big for first car so no doubt you'll be fine, my budget was €3,000 at one stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Macker1

I would'nt go near a Seat / VW based on the poor experience I had with one in the past. Also my brother had nothing but trouble with his Passat. The reputation of VW has been on the wane for a number of years

Given a budget of €9000 you should be able to pick up a very nice car with change to spare (you will need it for the fuel :))

I would go with either a Nissan or Toyota Model. I my self have driven both and never ever had a problem. I have been driving a Nissan Primera the last 3 years and I love it. The wife is in a Yaris and being a beginner driver finds it great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I personally wouldn't bother spending upwards of 9k on a first car. Main reason being is that, depending how good/bad a driver you are, you may pick up a few knocks or scrapes here and there. You'd also be driving around incredibly nervous because you'd be terrified to damage something that cost that much money... and there's nothing worse than a nervous driver!

So I'd look for something reliable, practical and won't give you insurance problems (ie. Seat Ibiza/Honda Civic tend to be higher as most youngfellas buy them).

A Focus, Micra, Colt, Starlet/Yaris (cringe), Golf/Bora are all good reliable cheap cars.

Your aim is to buy a car that you shouldn't have to think/worry about at all which will leave you to concentrate purely on driving and learning.

Vertakill wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't bother spending upwards of 9k on a first car. Main reason being is that, depending how good/bad a driver you are, you may pick up a few knocks or scrapes here and there. You'd also be driving around incredibly nervous because you'd be terrified to damage something that cost that much money... and there's nothing worse than a nervous driver!

So I'd look for something reliable, practical and won't give you insurance problems (ie. Seat Ibiza/Honda Civic tend to be higher as most youngfellas buy them).

A Focus, Micra, Colt, Starlet/Yaris (cringe), Golf/Bora are all good reliable cheap cars.

Your aim is to buy a car that you shouldn't have to think/worry about at all which will leave you to concentrate purely on driving and learning.

couldnt agree more, you will no doubt have an odd scratch ( i reversed into my gate on time! ha ha) and i wasnt upset was a bad scratch but was fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement