Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WW2 tunnel discovered on Jersey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Started reading it but couldn't hack the idea of trawling all 148 pages. I presume he didn't find very much or it would have been big news. Wouldn't mind having one in my back garden, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭tc20

i took it a block of 20 pages or so at a time, mostly in work ;)
    Took a couple of hours to get through it all. He's still digging....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

tc20 wrote: »
    i took it a block of 20 pages or so at a time, mostly in work ;)
    Took a couple of hours to get through it all. He's still digging....

It's interesting all right, just too much to read.

So did he find anything good? Did he access the tunnells at all?

ojewriej wrote: »
    So did he find anything good? Did he access the tunnells at all?

Ah now, that would be telling... :D

They found some Lee Enfields, which local historians reckon were left behind by British troops. There is a trap door in the tunnel which they haven't investigated just yet. I think the owner of the site is in negotiations with the local authorities about permission to continue excavating.
    The site is constantly updated, so i usually check every couple of days and see if they've turned up anything new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

The last time I was on it, yer man was dealing with that big rock in front of the entrance...
    So I presume he got a bit further since then :)

• Advertisement

@ FiSe - i think you've got another 120 pages or so to get thru' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I went to the hospital in Jersey a long time ago. There was an amazing amount of excavation work done on the island.

its worth a visit, beers cheap too:D

@ Fred - i was on holiday on Jersey as a kid in the late 70s with my folks. We didn't go to the Hospital, but did go to Elizabeth castle. They had a lot of occupation exhibits and some German vehicles from what i remember.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Thats a Brilliant Find very interesting Read :)

Some pics of this a tunnel:

ho2a.jpg

ho2.jpg

• Advertisement

^ i don't think thats the same tunnel ojewriej. Those pics are from Jersey alright, but its a different tunnel.

tc20 wrote: »
    ^ i don't think thats the same tunnel ojewriej. Those pics are from Jersey alright, but its a different tunnel.

****, You are right. Fixed my post.

And you know, tunnel is a tunnel is a tunnel. Once you've seen one, you've seen them all ;)

ojewriej wrote: »
    Fixed my post.

nice fix! :D

Advertisement