Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunn Motive Neo - Upgrade / Replace

Options
  • 09-07-2008 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys, I have a Sunn Motive Neo 07. It still has all standard components on it, bar a Tiagra Rear Derailleur. I use it for commuting / travelling around the city and the odd jaunt up the dublin mountains.

I have a few issues with it: he front derailleur which is a 2200 seems to be incredibly clicky and fussy, what should I upgrade this to to make it shift a bit smoother and easier, or is it just a matter of getting a good service done on it?

I have had 2 punctures in the last 2 months, both at very incovenient times. What tires would you recommend and where should I buy them?

What do you guys make of Joe Daly's in Dundrum for getting it all fixed up?

Would I be better off chaning a few parts on this bike or replacling it with another bike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Joe Daly's are very good for service and should be able to advise you on the derailleur. 2200 is pretty bottom of the range but it may just need adjusting. Regarding tyres, Continental Gatorskins are durable while still having good grip for a road bike. I certainly wouldn't be thinking along the lines of just dumping the bike quite yet, unless you really wanted to upgrade a fair bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Well I wouldnt dump it, I'd sell it! I reckon though I'll pop into Joe Daly and see what they say anyhow. I like the bike its nice and light at 10 kilos bu I'd just like it to run a bit smoother. Is there a good book I could get or a good guide on the net I could use to keep it in good nick?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

Here's a link to a Shimano service manual for the FD-A050 which should be identical to yours as far as adjustment goes:

http://tinyurl.com/5nvtxa

Get a similar manual for your rear derailleur and then go through a couple of iterations of adjusting your front and back as per service manual.

Derailleur adjustment isn't hard as long as you do things in the right order and you'll save yourself a few bob and increase your bike knowledge

Service manuals for most shimano components are there on the same site. Just search for the product code.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i don't have a book to refer you to but i have found that sheldon brown is a great resource, if a little overkill somethimes.

parktools
    have excellent step by step guides on how to do almost any job on your bike too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Probably the most useful video I have seen is by this guy:

Rear Derailleur adjustment

They all say the same things, but he just makes it easier to understand. I think ken Tom originally posted it, so credit to him.

If your front derailleur is clicking just have a look at the alignment of it and see where the chain is rubbing. If its shifting poorly, check your cable tensions and tighten accordingly.

I would suggest hanging on to the bike as it is for commuting. More expensive parts will get dirty just as quick and need to be tuned just as much. If you decide to upgrade then, you can get a nicer bike for the mountains and have your Sunn for the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

ahem, actually i posted that first...

why can't i let these things go? :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

niceonetom wrote: »
    ahem, actually i posted that first...

And very helpful I've found it too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Damn, sorry tom, i always get you and ken mixed up, don't ask me why, i think its the use of orange.

Great link though! Yer man is really good at explaining the basic mechanism and how it works rather than a "twist this, tighten that" approach which is like bike maintenance by numbers for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

The bicycletutor is also the business.
    http://www.howcast.com/playlists/394-BicycleTutor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Damn, sorry tom, i always get you and ken mixed up, don't ask me why, i think its the use of orange.

The first time I tried to re-find that vid, I was convinced it was Ken that posted it too -how weird is that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement