Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most embarrassing county to say your from?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Statso

Wexford cos everyone seems to think your from Northern Ireland for some reason and they don't believe you when you say your not. They blame the accent. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Longford

Dishonourable mention: "Roscompton" (purely because I have met people who refer to it as that, in a feeble attempt to make it cool)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

all the dirty nordie countys that think there irish......d only gud thing to come out of nordie land is harp

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Leitrim.
    Without a shadow of a doubt.

Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

There is no more embarrassing sentence than "Hi, how are ya doing. I'm from Westmeath"

Actually, maybe there is. "Hi, how are ya doing. I'm from Westmeath and I'm snypers mother :o"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Westmeath is just a poor man's Meath tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Cork.

I hate the place and I hate the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Donegal accent isnt too bad. Moved here about 5 years ago and had no trouble, familys from here. Once you learn the slang its grand.

While in college my mum convinced a fellow student that 'wain' (wean/wein/wee-un) was a real word, using the proof that the song is actually 'A wain in a manger' rather than 'Away in a manger'.

I vote cork, hate the accent, and it's unholy hearing it from a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

SantryRed wrote: »
    Cork.

I hate the place and I hate the people.
    I and my fellow Cork buddy lived in Santry for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Offaly - imagine being proud calling yourself a Biffo!?!

Too far away from water those people...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭turf

cavan.. worst rep goin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

turf wrote: »
    cavan.. worst rep goin.

ya dirty huar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

rossie1977 wrote: »
    first president of ireland a certain Douglas Hyde, Percy French, albert reynolds, hollywood actress Maureen O' Sullivan, William Wilde, the great Jimmy Murray :D

I thought Albert Reynolds was from Longford?
    Pighead wrote: »
    There is no more embarrassing sentence than "Hi, how are ya doing. I'm from Westmeath"

Actually, maybe there is. "Hi, how are ya doing. I'm from Westmeath and I'm snypers mother :o"

:) You're not letting poor aul snyper have a seconds peace today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I thought Albert Reynolds was from Longford?

living there doesn't mean you are from there :p albert was born and raised in Rooskey county roscommon http://www.nndb.com/people/232/000111896/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Leitrim!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

the week long festival every summer in ballinamore county leitrim is hard beat for all out craic, mental drinking altogether, the pubs are just jammed every night that week and the fireworks at the end are great

never saw a county express so much emotion as when leitrim won the connaught title in 1994, i heard Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh talking about this too, he was amazed at the scenes that day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭bantee

rossie1977 wrote: »
    the week long festival every summer in ballinamore county leitrim is hard beat for all out craic, mental drinking altogether, the pubs are just jammed every night that week and the fireworks at the end are great

never saw a county express so much emotion as when leitrim won the connaught title in 1994, i heard Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh talking about this too, he was amazed at the scenes that day

Festivals, well why didn't you say so earlier? Well it has to be Leitrim FTW as the most wicked county then!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Dudess wrote: »
    I and my fellow Cork buddy lived in Santry for a while.

Bit of a kip isn't it?:p

Another disgruntled EL fan cursing the long, losing bus journey from Turners Cross back up to the Pale.

It's been a couple of years man.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Cavan people get some shockin' abuse, lad. Mainly from neighbouring counties as posted already (coming from a Meath man).

• Advertisement

Apparently when you hear a cork person they are deepening their voice as much as possible. The real cork accent is so high pitched it can only be heard by dogs!
    To be fair, that IS true.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Another disgruntled EL fan cursing the long, losing bus journey from Turners Cross back up to the Pale.

Being searched going in last year will be a memory not to forget. Grunting is the best description for the Cark accent I was faced with. I stood in silence until someone else said it in comprehensible English.

The draw this season is another memory :pac:

Westmeath, Cork, Offaly, Monaghan, Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Robbing Cork of three points is worth it. :pac:

Finding that a grunt = "You an away fan?" is also worth it

I'm getting mixed messages here: we're high-pitched, we grunt... which is it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I'm glad I held onto my English accent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

all the dirty nordie countys that think there irish......d only gud thing to come out of nordie land is harp

Well they do live in Ireland. Some of the sexiest accents around too.

-Funk

Dudess wrote: »
    I'm getting mixed messages here: we're high-pitched, we grunt... which is it? :pac:

See if it was one or the other, we could get accustomed and decipher some words, but it's a mix, so it's impossible to get used to either

Complicated thing, the Cark accent :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

My vote goes to Louth purely because of the horrible accent. Steve Staunton's "Am the gaff-uh he-yuh" anyone? There sems to be a gradient as the accent gets worse as you move north from Drogheda to Ardee to Dundalk where the native speech becomes unintelligible! I cringe when I'm standing on the train platform in the evening and hear a convo between Louth commuters. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭anonymousman

Tipperary North, not even the good part of Tipperary.

Advertisement