Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryainair - barely legal practices?

Options
  • 09-07-2008 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

I've just booked a flight to Budapest on the ryanair website for a friends wedding in October.

So having gone through the maze of add-ons & take off's of the price, the final price given to me before paying by credit card is €92.32. Dumbly I assume this is the actual price I will be charged as it given as the "Total" in a bigger font than everything else, and that font is in bolder text than the rest of the bill details.

But no!

Turns out after I've pressed the button to purchase, they tell me its actually amount they've charged the card and its €102.32 - as they've added a "handling" charge.

Surely if you present someone with a bill you've totaled for a certain amount then you can only charge them for that amount ?

Is what Ryanair are doing legal ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Nope that's a extra, credit card charge unless you use visa electron.

On another note I remember paying €320 to Aerlingus 2 years ago before Ryan air started travelling there

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's the same practice as adopted by Ticketmaster. The ticket face price is not the actual price you pay as they also add on handling and credit card fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

BenjAii wrote: »
    I've just booked a flight to Budapest on the ryanair website for a friends wedding in October.

So having gone through the maze of add-ons & take off's of the price, the final price given to me before paying by credit card is €92.32. Dumbly I assume this is the actual price I will be charged as it given as the "Total" in a bigger font than everything else, and that font is in bolder text than the rest of the bill details.

But no!

Turns out after I've pressed the button to purchase, they tell me its actually amount they've charged the card and its €102.32 - as they've added a "handling" charge.

Surely if you present someone with a bill you've totaled for a certain amount then you can only charge them for that amount ?

Is what Ryanair are doing legal ?

You have to be careful - when you select Visa/Mastercard from the drop down menu, the price above the drop down menu jumps to 10 euro more. It's not illegal, because they are displaying how much they are charging you before you hit Purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

penexpers wrote: »
    You have to be careful - when you select Visa/Mastercard from the drop down menu, the price above the drop down menu jumps to 10 euro more. It's not illegal, because they are displaying how much they are charging you before you hit Purchase.

That's my point though penexpers, they weren't

The price they displayed was €10 less, the full price was only quoted AFTER i'd hit purchase and the card was charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The price they displayed was €10 less, the full price was only quoted AFTER i'd hit purchase and the card was charged.

I think you're getting slightly confused here. Nothing is charged to your card until you press the final Purchase button on the screen which also displays the credit card and handling charges.

Whatever you might say about their practice of adding on these charges, they do present to you on the final screen. You can exit the booking at this stage with no charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,175 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Unless they have changed there practive in the last few days, the full price is always displayed before your credit card is charged. It would be illegal otherwise as far as I am aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

dudara wrote: »
    I think you're getting slightly confused here. Nothing is charged to your card until you press the final Purchase button on the screen which also displays the credit card and handling charges.

No i'm not dudara, this is exactly my point.
    They only tell you the full price AFTER, you have hit purchase and your card has being charged.
    Whatever you might say about their practice of adding on these charges, they do present to you on the final screen. You can exit the booking at this stage with no charge.

Nah, that's not what is happening. When I purchased the ticket, I was only give the full price I had been charged afterwards, the price it asked me to charge to the card was 10 euro less.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

No i'm not dudara, this is exactly my point.
    They only tell you the full price AFTER, you have hit purchase and your card has being charged.

Nah, that's not what is happening. When I purchased the ticket, I was only give the full price I had been charged afterwards, the price it asked me to charge to the card was 10 euro less.

Afraid you're wrong. Just checked and the site definitely updates the price above when you select Visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

+1
    Your're wrong; the price does update. I'm no fan of Ryanair but this is all above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Without a shadow of a doubt you are wrong.

If it does not update it's due to a fault on your browser and not Ryanair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If you use the MBMA Ryanair credit card you escape these charges. I have yet to pay this fee :)

card_ryanairstandard.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Yup, Confirmed

When you click on the payment type the price changes to relect the CC Charge before you hit purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Rubbish, you are completely WRONG. I booked a flight with them yesterday, they show you the total BEFORE your hit purchase.

Sure YOU have to select the card type before you can go on to the purchasing screen, and the charge for using a credit card is clear to see.

Honestly, some people gripe and moan about anything to do with Ryanair. Get over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

If you use the MBMA Ryanair credit card you escape these charges. I have yet to pay this fee :)

card_ryanairstandard.jpg
    Are you sure? because from what I remember when I picked that card it still adds on the same cc fee. Can't check now because their website is on a go-slow.

OP: You are completely wrong. I have booked many times over the last 2/3 years (15+ return trips) and it has always shown up the full price before purchasing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

axer wrote: »
    Are you sure? because from what I remember when I picked that card it still adds on the same cc fee. Can't check now because their website is on a go-slow.

OP: You are completely wrong. I have booked many times over the last 2/3 years (15+ return trips) and it has always shown up the full price before purchasing.
    You get regular FREE flights with this card so it makes up for this small discrepancy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

You get regular FREE flights with this card so it makes up for this small discrepancy. :)
    so you are charged the fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That offer has been discontinued afaik.

Advertisement