Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Haggling on price?

Options
  • 09-07-2008 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I say the car i want on a dealers website and on cbg.ie the price on the dealers website is about a thousand lower than it is on cbg so I am assuming they dropped the price.

Its now at around 21ish which is out of my range I would ideally like to spend 18 or no more than 18,500. The OMSP is about 16,500. I'm not trading in I'm paying cash. Its a petrol car with a large 1.8 engine.

I was wondering if I'm being downright cheeky by haggling this low? Any chance of getting it? Has the new vrt and tax regime ment that second hand petrol cars will fall in value? could I use this as leverage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

It may be a good idea for you to link the advert mate, as it will give everyone a better idea of what the dealer will expect to get for the car! Every detail of the car (mileage, age, colour etc) will have to be looked at before anyone can really give a relatively accurate figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

To be honest it seems like a good deal already, so i doubt there is any budging!!

http://www.faichneyringwood.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1082331

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

a good deal, are you for real, have you looked at the range of prices for them on carzone,

heres a lower spec one:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Saab/9-3/ARC-model/1116972/

heres a vector

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Saab/9-3/1.8T-150BHP/1072586/

id be reluctant to pay 18k for one, much less 20.

you'll find stuff isnt shifting so decide what you think its worth, take it for a test drive and if you like it bargain but do not pay more than you think its worth, if they wont budge leave your details and tell them the offer stands for 3 days.

id get one as cheap as possible resale is poor on these, niceish cars tho

Sounds good to me I have seem cheaper ones around although this one looks in very good condition and it has the 2 year warrenty! Ill see what I can get it for anyway! I wont go over 18k i dont think anyway

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why would anyone pay more than the OMSP? Baffling tbh.

p.s. Ad. says it's a 2.0 litre engine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

irlmarc wrote: »
    Its a petrol car with a large 1.8 engine.

1.8 is not a large engine at all.... Stop listening to the green party!

Sounds good to me I have seem cheaper ones around although this one looks in very good condition and it has the 2 year warrenty! Ill see what I can get it for anyway! I wont go over 18k i dont think anyway

It is the most expensive 1.8t on carzone, have you looked into buying one from the uk, they are very cheap over there, a friend of mine has bought 2 9-3 aeros over there.

And id go see it before making any judgements on its condition, pictures only show what they want to show you
    Why would anyone pay more than the OMSP? Baffling tbh.

p.s. Ad. says it's a 2.0 litre engine.

are you serious about the OMSP? Which is a totally arbitary figure?

All 9-3 petrols are 2 litre (save the 2.8 aero) in different states of tune.

the 1.9 diesel is probabaly the most popular

its a 1.8t. Which is taxed with a displacement of 1998c if i am correct, or so the vrt website claims.

steve06 wrote: »
    1.8 is not a large engine at all.... Stop listening to the green party!

Ah I know but for most people who never leave 1.4 it might be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

come on, comment like this are the reason I'm paying over €1,200 a year in road tax! And yet I'm doing less mileage than most...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Cyrus wrote: »
    Are you serious about the OMSP? Which is a totally arbitary figure?

Hardly arbitary. It's the figure on which your VRT is based. You can appeal it if you feel it's too high too.

Are you suggesting Revenue set it too low on certain cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Hi,

I say the car i want on a dealers website and on cbg.ie the price on the dealers website is about a thousand lower than it is on cbg so I am assuming they dropped the price.

Its now at around 21ish which is out of my range I would ideally like to spend 18 or no more than 18,500. The OMSP is about 16,500. I'm not trading in I'm paying cash. Its a petrol car with a large 1.8 engine.

I was wondering if I'm being downright cheeky by haggling this low? Any chance of getting it? Has the new vrt and tax regime ment that second hand petrol cars will fall in value? could I use this as leverage?

How do you know what the OMSP of the car is??

Do you have the knowledge to spot if it has been painted, crashed?
    Extensive service history or none?
    Mileage?
    Wear and tear above the norm?
    All recalls done?
    NCT?
    Belt or Chain driven?
    Colour combination?
    Registration plate?
    Which engine? Could be 3 different outputs from the one engine,

Etc etc etc.........

It always amuses me that people always think that they know what a car is "worth"

gabgab wrote: »

Mileage?
    All recalls done?
    NCT?
    Belt or Chain driven?
    Colour combination?
    Registration plate?

Etc etc etc.........

It always amuses me that people always think that they know what a car is "worth"

I got a general price based on the year, mileage and engine size i never said it was what this car was worth that is the price that a 2004 1.8t vector saab 9-3 with 27000 miles should be. which ticks all of the boxes that i could get without seeing the actual car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

But if you dont know what the car is worth how can you haggle, or at least have an ide of what its worth in your opinion?

Thats the question i posed here, I simply stated that the OMSP for a car of this age, engine size and mileage should be this. At the beginning it was a question about haggling in general as I had seen a car. Someone asked to post what I was looking at so I did. several people said it was overpriced. I never said the OMSP was gospel and plenty of people here have said it undervalues several brands and over values others.

I was asking for other peoples opinions thats why the title of the thread is posed as a question!

get a nice aero from the uk :)

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/587315.htm

The aeros are nice I must say. Im a bit wary buying from the UK I read the guide on how to do it and such, I have friends who have done it. Just knowing my luck I'd get stung with a stinker.

buy one from a franchised saab dealer, and get a saab warranty which will be valid over here

But does the warranty apply to any saab dealer here or what way does it work?

a saab warranty will cover it at any saab dealership

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

The aeros are nice I must say. Im a bit wary buying from the UK I read the guide on how to do it and such, I have friends who have done it. Just knowing my luck I'd get stung with a stinker.

think of it this way: the 5-7k you'd save by buying that UK Aero listed above versus your irish car for 21k would cover a lot of problems (were they to even occur).

Try research the specific UK garages, and definitely give them a call. Most will ahve sold to Irish residents before (70,000 cars imported to Ireland last year).

They'll be happy to chat about the car. Garages aren't faceless ;)

same with your Irish car fro 21k. Call him, chat about the car, tell him your situation. he'll either play dice or not

Sounds good Sk8board! ill give them a buzz tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

You're in the strongest possible position. Cash burning a hole in your pocket.

Tell him you've got 18k to spend and not a penny more. If he wants the sale it's up to him.

It's a buyers market, with all the uncertainty, so make hay!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

gabgab wrote: »

Mileage?
    All recalls done?
    NCT?
    Belt or Chain driven?
    Colour combination?
    Registration plate?

Etc etc etc.........

This ^ is an example of someone who probably works in the car industry taking their frustrations of the "Recession" out on the OP. Ain't that right Gabgab?

OP, at the end of the day and in my experience, if you know what the value for the car you are buying is worth, it's general business sense from here on in...you haggle when you see fit, and you negotiate to get the best deal for yourself.

Advertisement