Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon Road Bike on Turbo Trainer

Options
  • 09-07-2008 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

I am just about fed up with the weather at the moment and am thinking of getting a turbo trainer so I don't spend my life in the rain. My problem is my road bike is carbon and I have had a few people say that its not such a good idea to use them on a turbo trainer.

Any one have any experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

ollietrex wrote: »
    I am just about fed up with the weather at the moment and am thinking of getting a turbo trainer so I don't spend my life in the rain. My problem is my road bike is carbon and I have had a few people say that its not such a good idea to use them on a turbo trainer.

Any one have any experience of this?

Just go for a run :) you won't damage your bike that way...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Let me qualify this by saying I don't own a turbo trainer. I've read a few comments here and there that they may stress a carbon frame. However, I've yet to read about anyone actually damaging their frame. My father-in-law uses a trainer all winter and has been riding carbon bikes for years. Never had a problem. If it were me, it wouldn't stop me, but I mightn't be doing hard out of the saddle sprints on it just to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ollietrex

Yeah that was my kinda thinking general riding might be ok but all out sprints out of the saddle might not be such a good idea. :cool: I have had a bit of a google and cant find much on the net about it.

It was a bike shop that told me that so might just have been them trying to sell me another bike later in the year. Thinking about it when they told me that they had a carbon trek bike in the shop on a turbo trainer. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Just go for a run :) you won't damage your bike that way...
    No, you will just damage yourself instead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I think rollers would be less bad maybe? Dunno if you can get the same range of resistance with them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

You put more stresses on the frame while on the road. It'd be absolutely fine. Carbon is stronger than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I have my carbon bike on the turbo trainer now and again. I do see the bottom bracket area more side to side a bit.

Don't forgot to consider special tyres - Continental do an orange trainer-only set that won't run hot and burst.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

Not much help yet... but I just took delivery of a Tacx Cosmos Ergotrainer for our lab. Been through all the guidelines etc and there is no mention of risk to carbon frames or the like. It was also bought specifically for testing cyclists on their own bikes - we asked around before purchasing it and no one has mentioned any concerns about putting their bikes on it.

We got it from Rob in Wheelworx - if you are interested I think he has a good selection of trainers.

I'll post an update on how we are getting on with it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

At a minimum, keep a separate cheap QR skewer for use on the trainer because the large amount of force applied at each end can damage them in some way (according to the guy who did my bike fit). Better yet, keep a whole wheel just for that purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

bwardrop wrote: »
    We got it from Rob in Wheelworx - if you are interested I think he has a good selection of trainers.
    You can go back to him for the Continental Turbo Trainer tyre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

talk about a total waste of money.

Use old tyres. Tyres that you wouldn't use on the road. No need to splash more cash.

Advertisement