Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording a Wedding

Options
  • 09-07-2008 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this, mods feel free to move.

My dad has been asked to record my cousins wedding. He is using a Sony Z1 camera for the video but isn't sure what to do about the sound. Since its in a church, he is worried that the acoustics in the hall won't come through well on the camera's mic. He wants to keep any microphones used out of shot so just plopping a mic in the middle isn't really an option at the moment.

What sort of mic would be good to use to reduce the amount of echo there will be and record a good clear sound?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

a good directional mic should suffice

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

Pair of Rode NT5's on a stereo bar at the back/side of the church high up should do the trick, Get yourself a choir mic stand or something to go with them. The require 48v phantom power so make sure whatever device he is connecting them to can supply this

I assume as he's got a sony z1 he's pretty serious into his video production so he should have something decent to record the audio onto such as a zoom h4

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Just use a feed off the church PA - Should be easy to do if you pop down in advance - Or split the alter Mic at the stand (Use that in 1 input) then get a mic for the Choir (if there is one)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I was at a wedding last month and the videographer just had a small mic on a stand and put it in front of the speaker that was connected to the priest's lapel mic (as his mic also picked up the wedding couples voices as well).

No idea how the sound came out on the finished dvd though.

digiking wrote: »
    Pair of Rode NT5's on a stereo bar at the back/side of the church high up should do the trick, Get yourself a choir mic stand or something to go with them. The require 48v phantom power so make sure whatever device he is connecting them to can supply this

I assume as he's got a sony z1 he's pretty serious into his video production so he should have something decent to record the audio onto such as a zoom h4

Alan

That will sound terrible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭dave.omeara

Lump wrote: »
    Just use a feed off the church PA - Should be easy to do if you pop down in advance - Or split the alter Mic at the stand (Use that in 1 input) then get a mic for the Choir (if there is one)

The problem with that is you might and probably will lose out on atmosphere from the church. Which for a wedding is as important to get a good feel of the day when watching it back afterwards.

keefg wrote: »
    I was at a wedding last month and the videographer just had a small mic on a stand and put it in front of the speaker that was connected to the priest's lapel mic (as his mic also picked up the wedding couples voices as well).

No idea how the sound came out on the finished dvd though.

Same as above, you're only going to get what spoken into the mics.

A good rifle mic on the camera will be good enough, and the cameras internal mic is quite good in its own right. I did my sisters wedding recently using the same camera and I used the internal mic. It was fine. You could hear everything cleanly and clearly. The one thing I suggest you do, or your father does is say the the bride and groom to talk loudly into the mics when they are doing their vows and such. It all helps.

The choir mic will pic up the atmosphere..... and you'll have good sound on the vows etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭dave.omeara

The choir mic would pick up atmosphere alright, but then that may also be effected by where they are singing from. Or not even a choir maybe a quartet, whatever music is in the church.

The only other problem that may occur with patching into the church PA system is it might not be the best sounding. And you'll have limited control over the incoming signal. You'll have a Altar mic, a mic for the readers and handheld mic for the bride and groom. Yes you can alter the volume levels on the camera but you'll already be concentrating on recording everything else and could very easily forget to adjust them. In most other situations if you were recording something (play, concert, etc) you would take a feed off a desk, but then the desk would be maned and you could adjust your levels there. Using a mic on the camera itself you'll pick up the sounds in the church and won't have to adjust them after your initial settings.

I'd recommend the cameras own mic. There is less involved which means there's less that can go wrong. If your father is still unsure, ask the local priest if he can go in and tape mass some evening and then he'll know what it will sound like. If it's own mic sounds rubbish then you'll still have time to look into using a feed from the PA.

Advertisement