Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ultimate MEN WW challenge

Options
  • 09-07-2008 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Hi -

A Mad cyclist friend of mine, who wished to remain annonimous (he's a Bray wheeler )... has sent me that nice map, that he called' Wicklow Mountains Utra-marathon' ...

I think it's madness ... 332Km -

Link: http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/delgany/374543134

%5C%5Cdub-efs-01%5Chome%5Ccmartinez%5CMy%20Documents%5CMy%20Pictures%5CWicklow%20Mts%20Ultra-marathon%20%28206.38%20mi.%29.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Let's schedule it for after the B200

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Raam wrote: »

seek help.

seriously, you need to decide whether you're trying to recruit people to do the B200 or scare them out of it.

niceonetom wrote: »
    seek help.

seriously, you need to decide whether you're trying to recruit people to do the B200 or scare them out of it.

I think it's do-able and a logical progression from the B200 :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Eh, no thanks.

el tonto wrote: »
    Eh, no thanks.

C'mooooooooooon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

it looks like someone just gave a crayon and a map of wicklow to a toddler.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'm tempted... If we are all talking about doing L-E-L and RAAM etc. I think we need to get a few >200km rides under our belts. I'd suggest we start from Dundrum rather than Delgany though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

blorg wrote: »
    I'm tempted... If we are all talking about doing L-E-L and RAAM etc. I think we need to get a few >200km rides under our belts. I'd suggest we start from Dundrum rather than Delgany though.

My friend is from Delgany. I think he should start posting on the forum soon... I am sure he'll be delighted to knwo some people want to follow him.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Fast Roger would probably be on for it, given a small amount of arm twisting.
    I suspect he is experiencing a shudder around about now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭erizo

I bet you will need to organize it very well, and with car assistance, that's too many kilometres. And hopefully the weather would be good by the time to organize it.
    Good luck with it.
    And as we say in spanish, to the bull from the horns!!(literal translation)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Tutschel

In reply to niceonetom's comment "seek help": alas I am already beyond help.

It's do-able even if my Garmin gives up half way (poor battery life, gggrrrrrrr!!!). It's all about pacing yourself and staying focused on your goal. When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Originally Posted by blorg

Just trying to prepare for the mother of all mountain race one day challenges: http://www.oetztaler-radmarathon.com/main/EN/OR/index.html

Next year I hope to progress to this one: http://www.tourtransalp.de/englisch/
    So obviously I need to find a suitable preparatory challenge in the run up...

Sorry forgot to include that Marley Park would be an ideal 'northern' starting point. :)

Sorry to go off topic, but Tutschel, do you know any good cycle routes in the Alps south of Munich? I shall be heading there in August.

thanks

P

Welcome to the board Tutschel. Marlay Park would certainly work as a northern starting point- you can cycle up from Delgany and meet us there :D They look like some pretty serious events you are preparing for there.

Erizo- I think this is managable without car assistance, the trick is that you arrange it so for the last 150km or so there is an easier flat "I give up" route back to home- this is easy enough if you are planning on zig-zagging across mountains, there is always a more direct (and flat!) way home! In terms of mechanical failure, it sucks but it is also unlikely and there is always mobile phone, partner/family/fellow participant's partner/family :) with a car or in the last resort a taxi! (Had to do this when my crank came off up in the Wicklow mountains once.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

Welcome to the board Tutschel. Marlay Park would certainly work as a northern starting point- you can cycle up from Delgany and meet us there :D They look like some pretty serious events you are preparing for there.

Erizo- I think this is managable without car assistance, the trick is that you arrange it so for the last 150km or so there is an easier flat "I give up" route back to home- this is easy enough if you are planning on zig-zagging across mountains, there is always a more direct (and flat!) way home! In terms of mechanical failure, it sucks but it is also unlikely and there is always mobile phone, partner/family/fellow participant's partner/family :) with a car or in the last resort a taxi! (Had to do this when my crank came off up in the Wicklow mountains once.)

tell ya what I am a chicken so wont cycle but will happily follow in the car

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    tell ya what I am a chicken so wont cycle but will happily follow in the car
    I'll happily welcome the offer! We can stock your jeep up with spare wheels! And fig rolls!

Oh do you know me ? How you know I have a jeep or was it a lucky guess ?

You tootled us in Shankhill remember! I waved!

Oh yeah ha ha very short memory has me. Well if its done reasonbly soon I will happily drive otherwise I. Might give it a lash on the bike myself !! Jeep would be the right job for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Raam wrote: »

Is that actually happening?

• Advertisement

B200 is on the 19th July. It is definately happening!

Thanks for the welcome blorg.

No problem to cycle from Delgany to Marley Park - Just so we are singing from the same hymn sheet, I will of course take the reverse route to make sure I'm properly warmed up for the real event. :D

@E@gle.
    I don't see why this ultra-marathon can't go ahead, just a question of commitment, arranging a date that suits everyone, and then actionng that commitment.

@BUACHAILL
    Whilst I would tend to agree with blorg that car support is not entirely essential, I feel that nodoby is going to kick up too veciforously should you really wish to extend your generous offer.

An undertaking of the likes will take anywhere from 15 to 18 hours and necessitate upwards of 15000cal intake. That's about 15kg of bananas (fruit flesh) per person. We should all buy shares in Fyffes beforehand. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Tutschel wrote: »

I will of course take the reverse route to make sure I'm properly warmed up for the real event. :D

When I told you to suggest that route to the Boards guys ... I didn't think it would have been that easy to convince them to join you ... :pac:

You can come with us for the Boards 200 for an easy warm up next week so ...

E@gle. wrote: »
    Is that actually happening?

Yeah, you in?

well i have no problem doing the car support if i am available on the day, if its decided couple of weeks in advance I can arrange time off if working. I think going without car support is nuts, long way to travel with your own supplies etc, also means you can give it your all and if you calf half way round ( not expecting this) you know you can jump in the jeep but I am guessing it will be a lonely aul trip for me ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    well i have no problem doing the car support if i am available on the day, if its decided couple of weeks in advance I can arrange time off if working. I think going without car support is nuts, long way to travel with your own supplies etc, also means you can give it your all and if you calf half way round ( not expecting this) you know you can jump in the jeep but I am guessing it will be a lonely aul trip for me ha ha

I'm more than happy to volunteer to give up half way round... just so you're not lonely of course...

oh what a gentleman
    i wont let you in the jeep...then what will you do ha ha

Sure Raam, I'm definitely in for the B200!

I will try find out by then some info for you on cycling in the Alps in southern Germany. Have a few contacts I should be able to prime.
    A few questions to let me focus my research:
    Will you have a car to travel from Munich, or will it be public transport?
    What kind of riding would you want to do, i.e. point to point or loops?
    How long & hilly/mountainous do you want your avg spin to be: e.g. 1000m/100km or more?

Let me know and I'll run it by a few friends.

Tutschel wrote: »
    Sure Raam, I'm definitely in for the B200!

I will try find out by then some info for you on cycling in the Alps in southern Germany. Have a few contacts I should be able to prime.
    A few questions to let me focus my research:
    Will you have a car to travel from Munich, or will it be public transport?
    What kind of riding would you want to do, i.e. point to point or loops?
    How long & hilly/mountainous do you want your avg spin to be: e.g. 1000m/100km or more?

Let me know and I'll run it by a few friends.

Tutschel, I have created a new thread for my questions so that I don't take your thread off topic...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56519306#post56519306

thanks

P

• Advertisement

Marlay Park would certainly work as a northern starting point- you can cycle up from Delgany and meet us there :D They look like some pretty serious events you are preparing for there.

Just posting the Wicklow Ultra Marathon route with the 'Marley Park' start:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/dublin/598238559

Advertisement