Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc in Applied Computing for Techologists

Options
  • 09-07-2008 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I am working as a Full time Software Engineer for about 4 years and I am looking for advice about doing this. Is there anyone who completed this/currently registered? All comments are welcomed.

By the way, my second choice will be MSc in Computing (DT210 - Information Technology), comments about this are also welcomed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 NiteOwl2

IMHO if you already have a qualification in the area, and have practical work experience, there is very little additional benefit either of these MSc's could offer you really. I would go for DT217, the MSc in Knowledge Management, which in spite of its title is very much about leading edge topics in computer science; data mining, agile methods, business systems intelligence, etc. I know a few graduates from that course who have said it was the best thing they ever did...

http://www.comp.dit.ie/DT217/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 oneless

Agree with NiteOwl2 - from what I have hear both degrees you mentioned are rather general and if you have a qualification and experience you are probably looking to
    add to your skillset.

Would definitely recommend MSc in Computing (Knowledge Management). If you are
    looking to future proof your CV it will give you opportunities in many directions -
    leading edge computing skills, knowldege of organisational managment, clear
    link between the two so definitely will give you options.
    It should also give you a quick career progression since KM is becoming increasingly the hot topic in the present climate.
    Notice that there is a collaboration with SAS on their Business Systems Intelligence
    module which is interesting. Also think there is a link between the school and IBM on their cloud computing initiative which could be interesting.

Advertisement