Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

COD 4 Ruined my gaming experience

• 09-07-2008 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Guys,

Has anyone else found that since COD 4 came out, they just cant enjoy any other game to the same extent? I have bought most of the big games since COD 4 was released, but always end up trading them in for other games and then trade those in.

Now I loved battlefield on line and Bejing and T-woods and Uefa euro 2008.

But I find myself always ending up playing cod after a half hour etc.

I traded in GTA 4 even though I only played it a few times, all because I wasn't willing to give it a chance.

I think the reason this is, is because I am so hooked and dead set on getting to my 10TH Prestige(currently not far off 7th)

But am I the only one, or has this game ruined there enjoyment of other game formats?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

mickyt wrote: »
    Guys,

Has anyone else found that since COD 4 came out, they just cant enjoy any other game to the same extent?

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭mickyt

kyub wrote: »
    Nope.
    inciteful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭Basq

inciteful
    Nah..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

I think the reason this is, is because I am so hooked and dead set on getting to my 10TH Prestige(currently not far off 7th)

But am I the only one, or has this game ruined there enjoyment of other game formats?

No i do not. I enjoy sport games Virtua Tennis (online) ,Dead rising ive only started to play and am enjoying. Guitar Hero recently picked up ***** game .
    I enjoy COD4 but its not the only FPS. If your really into FPS at the moment thats not a crime we all stick to certain genre's at times.

If you want some advice on new FPS to get you out of COD 4 . Try getting back into Halo 3, or start playing Shadowrun on Xbox live absolutely brilliant game. Its specifically a Xbox Live game. You can pick it up for 15 euro in gamestop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

I think your addicted to it MickyT. Interesting to see if you will still be playing it come this time next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Guys,

Has anyone else found that since COD 4 came out, they just cant enjoy any other game to the same extent? I have bought most of the big games since COD 4 was released, but always end up trading them in for other games and then trade those in.

I traded in GTA 4 even though I only played it a few times, all because I wasn't willing to give it a chance.

ok if u know ur going to go back and play cod4 all the time done be so stuoid buying games rent them.

cod4 is AND I QUOTE RUINED YOUR GAME EXPERIENCE because its such a great game. trade in ur 360 & buy a wii if ur not happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

No i do not. I enjoy sport games Virtua Tennis (online)

Is that on xbox 360? what's the online experience like?

To OP: No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

Is that on xbox 360? what's the online experience like?

Virtua Tennis 3 Online experience overall is excellent. However if you play people from Hong Kong/Japan/ America with Bad connections you'll want to tear your hair out. Basically you be in a rally and the ball will go by your racket even if your about to smash it to win the point. It gets very laggy against those players and the point will have to be replayed alot because of lag .

That said, that would account for 1 game in 15 ?. and if you get better at the game you learn how to beat the bad connections with patience and positioning :). Other than that you can have some cracking games against people that can go on for 20-30 mins even to best of 3games ! :eek: . Ill write a review for the game on the reviews forum tonight.

ok if u know ur going to go back and play cod4 all the time done be so stuoid buying games rent them.

cod4 is AND I QUOTE RUINED YOUR GAME EXPERIENCE because its such a great game. trade in ur 360 & buy a wii if ur not happy.
    jaysus no need to go that far. just saying I aint enjoying other games as much. I have started renting them aswell from a website. but was hoping to enjoy other games without going back to Cod4. didnt mean the thread as literal as the title, just that I don't think any game/genre compares to COD4 since I bought it

anyway thanks for responses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Virtua Tennis 3 Online experience overall is excellent. However if you play people from Hong Kong/Japan/ America with Bad connections you'll want to tear your hair out.

Did you try Topspin 3? It's more realistic & a far better game imo. VT3 just too arcadey! :)
    jaysus no need to go that far. just saying I aint enjoying other games as much. I have started renting them aswell from a website. but was hoping to enjoy other games.
    anyway thanks for responses

Man i'd just ignore nevaeh-2die-4, the bitterness is strong in that one! all his recent posts seem to be of the same tone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Guys,

thunderbirds_laugh.gif

If Cod4 spoiled every other game for you, WTFwere you playing beforehand? Barbie race n ride or some ****?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its weird, I played COD4 for about a week when it came out and it was fine, seemed good. Then I never went back to it. It was just another FFA/CTF style multiplayer. It didnt have anything new for me in the gameplaying department.
    Add to this the idea that weenies have unlocked everything 24-hours after it landed and I felt like... well screw that.

I don't mind playing people who are BETTER then me at a game, in fact I generally seek them out in order to improve but playing people who simply have better weapons because they have sacraficed more of their life to the game seemed wrong to me.

Every other multiplayer game I have ever played starts everyone off the same and your play determines if you win or lose or have the best guns in that level/game.
    It felt awfully like World of Warcraft where people spend 18 hours a day to get the 'leet top gear which lets them own. Its the reason I stopped playing WOW too...

So, I guess my answer is no, it hasnt stopped me enjoying other games, in fact its spurred me on to try a few others!

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I sort of agree.

I got Mass Effect and COD 4 at Christmas. Enjoyed Mass Effect and was blown away by COD 4.

Then got GTA a few weeks ago. A big resounding Meh. Any time I start playing it I am underwhelmed and find myself thinking I'd rather be playing COD4.

So I just do :) Hell, I don't even mind getting my ass whupped online.

I just want to get to level 40 (mmmm... P90 goodness)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

+1 Devore

I haven't really played COD4 since I got GTAIV. I'll be going back to it though. Still have to get my first prestige.

DeVore wrote: »
    Cúpla focail

I would agree with everything that you've posted, were it not inherently mis-informed. 3 of the top 5, maybe even of the top 4 guns in the game (by pretty much everyone's standards) are available to everyone right from the get-go. MP5, AK47 and M16 are all powerful, accurate and have enough range for practically any situation.

The weapons do not get better as you progress. The perks do, however, but it doesn't nearly make as much of a difference as a limited arsenal would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

...and as people are constantly going through the prestige ranks, they are starting over with starting weapons/perks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I would agree with everything that you've posted, were it not inherently mis-informed. 3 of the top 5, maybe even of the top 4 guns in the game (by pretty much everyone's standards) are available to everyone right from the get-go. MP5, AK47 and M16 are all powerful, accurate and have enough range for practically any situation.

The weapons do not get better as you progress. The perks do, however, but it doesn't nearly make as much of a difference as a limited arsenal would.

+1

M16 is the best gun in the game.
    P90 is very useful in smaller maps, but the MP5 is not far off it and also, as you say, a starting weapon.
    Ok, it takes a game or two to unlock the RDS for the M16, but it is literally a game or two before you get it.

mcgovern wrote: »
    +1

M16 is the best gun in the game.
    P90 is very useful in smaller maps, but the MP5 is not far off it and also, as you say, a starting weapon.
    Ok, it takes a game or two to unlock the RDS for the M16, but it is literally a game or two before you get it.

Defo, the G36C isn't too bad either at times. I usually use the M16 with overkill(depending on where my prestige is) and Sniper.. or M16 OR P90 with slieght of hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well I'm at level 55 and will stay there, I'm not bothered with Prestige.

For me the challenge now lies in using guns that I never used before or using different gun and perk combinations than I would normally use.

That's what has kept me playing.

For instance I got to Level 55 without ever using the P90, Skorpion or the M203 grenade launcher on assault rifles.

I also didn't use the shotguns much. Recently I began using the M203 and can see why people like it. It's a simple non-challenging way to get kills. Sam e with the P90 combined with the extreme conditioning perk, you can bypass claymores without getting killed and then take out the unsuspecting sniper quite easily.

So, for me, there's plenty to keep me playing online but I wouldn't return to single-player again. I've definitely found the experience better than GTA IV for example.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've no doubt I'm probably misinformed, how could I be otherwise when I have admitted to not playing the game extensively. But the whole idea of "leveling" up my character to gain the extra perks (which to be fair, are fairly powerful), all the while being made some Ritalin-addled 14 year old's bitch didnt appeal! :)

I think more then anything, I am getting weary of point-and-shoot combat games, and as excellently as COD4 is executed, its really the same CTF/FFA/DM/etc game I've been playing since Quakeworld...

Its not a slight at COD4 , if thats your thing its a very very well execute thing but ... *shrug*

DeV.

• Advertisement

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Well I'm at level 55 and will stay there, I'm not bothered with Prestige.

For me the challenge now lies in using guns that I never used before or using different gun and perk combinations than I would normally use.

That's what has kept me playing.

For instance I got to Level 55 without ever using the P90, Skorpion or the M203 grenade launcher on assault rifles.

I also didn't use the shotguns much. Recently I began using the M203 and can see why people like it. It's a simple non-challenging way to get kills. Sam e with the P90 combined with the extreme conditioning perk, you can bypass claymores without getting killed and then take out the unsuspecting sniper quite easily.

So, for me, there's plenty to keep me playing online but I wouldn't return to single-player again. I've definitely found the experience better than GTA IV for example.
    I agree with you to a certain extent, I have often gone through a prestige without getting to fully use a gun. I guess once I get to the holy grail of 10th Prestige I will be able to complete all the gun challenges..
    i.e. I have only I would say killed 3 people in all my 6th Prestiges with a shot gun..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I've no doubt I'm probably misinformed, how could I be otherwise when I have admitted to not playing the game extensively. But the whole idea of "leveling" up my character to gain the extra perks (which to be fair, are fairly powerful), all the while being made some Ritalin-addled 14 year old's bitch didnt appeal! :)

I think more then anything, I am getting weary of point-and-shoot combat games, and as excellently as COD4 is executed, its really the same CTF/FFA/DM/etc game I've been playing since Quakeworld...

Its not a slight at COD4 , if thats your thing its a very very well execute thing but ... *shrug*

DeV.

Nah, I see your point DeV, at the end of the day COD4 is just another (albeit beautiful) point and shoot but I think a lot of the attraction for me on COD4 online is to do with how I play the game.

Example, on certain maps, playing using an smg is the easiest option and by doing so you can be pretty much assured of coming in the top 3. On some of those maps I might choose a sniper and look for unusual cover points. On some games I aim to get every kill using melee attack rather than a gun. That keeps me coming back.

As for being 'raped' and made a 'bitch'...that's when the mute function comes into its own :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

COD4 was the game that spurred me on to buy a 360 in the first place and it is great and I have lost an entire week of my life to it if the time counter in the game is to be believed. It hasn't ruined first person shooters for me as I have played, enjoyed and completed F.E.A.R Prey and Halo3 since.

I haven't played COD4 since getting GTA 4 and have been devoting all my time to getting as much out of it before I finish the game. Once I'm through with GTA I'm planning on getting back into COD in a big way. What I have found is that it's ruined me for other FPS war games. Haven't been able to enjoy anything in the genre since. Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 and Bad company haven't been given a shot yet though.

I'm very much a "1 more round" in COD kinda guy and next I know it's the wee hours of the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I really enjoy CoD4, good multiplayer game done well.

Haven't played it in ages though so no it has not ruined my gaming experience.

Currently loving Lego Star wars the complete saga playing through with a mate, great simple brainless fun.

Stuff like Lego Star Wars, Civ Revolution, Portal, Assassin's Creed are all brilliant departures from the norm... There are too many "me too" games out there imho.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Stuff like Lego Star Wars, Civ Revolution, Portal, Assassin's Creed are all brilliant departures from the norm... There are too many "me too" games out there imho.

DeV.

Yup

The vast majority of Lego Star Wars only uses 2 buttons for christ sake. Jump and attack. It could nearly be played with an atari joypad yet I have enjoyed it so much.

Portal is simply amazing

More games like them would be nice, but then it wouldn't cos they'd get old an stale. More good original games then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I loved Lego Star Wars too but you will have to try Lego Indy. While not nearly as long there is a definite improvement in the gameplay and camera angles. One thing that you will not like though is that theres no online co-op.

As for CoD4, it most definitely has not ruined my gaming experience. I enjoy it but definitely prefer a couple of other games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

are any of you still playing cod4 MP?
    if so can you add me - ieMiCr0

I've no doubt I'm probably misinformed etc...

I can definitely see where you're coming from, and in no way is this a sleight on yourself (OMFG u sux @ COD, Noob LOL111!!!11!) it's just that I thought you were'nt giving it a fair chance with your first post. If it was a case of longer playing time = better weapons then I would wholeheartedly agree with you.

I, personally, haven't played ANY online PC multiplayer games as I've never had a hi-spec PC or decent 'net connection so the appeal for me was immediate.

I'm not convinced that it was just that alone, though. In fact, I played it once in my mate's gaff and was hooked immediately. 2 nights later i won a few hundred bills in a poker game and splashed out on the xbox + COD + Halo3 and I've played about 2 hours of Halo and about 13 days of COD simply because it is that good.

I dunno. I can kinda see where the OP is coming from though. I posted a thread either here or on the Wii forum about dividing time between games 'cos I've basically been neglecting the Wii and my other xbox games now cos i'm practically addicted.

Not sure what my point is but, meh.....*shrugs shoulders as well*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

cod 4 is the best game ever, thats why you dont play anything else. and neither do i.

Advertisement