Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lower your eircom ping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

isn't that supposed to be the default setting?

the default setting is PPP over Ethernet LLC/SNAP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I did that and have found no difference in pings but now have slightly improved download speeds from speedtest.net- coincidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

yes that is true, it does help your connection, i did this about 1/2 months ago and i can now get a full green signal to the whole of europe on xbox live and sometimes a good americano host

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

default :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ok, I just did this and now I'm getting 30Kbps higher speedtest results, before my max was 2610-15Kbps, now I'm getting this:

My pings have dropped a few ms as well, used always be 45-55. I regularly check my speed and I know exactly what my speed should be.
    Before:
    294021820.png
    After:
    294031874.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Ok, I just did this and now I'm getting 30Kbps higher speedtest results, before my max was 2610-15Kbps, now I'm getting this:

My pings have dropped a few ms as well, used always be 45-55. I regularly check my speed and I know exactly what my speed should be.
    Before:
    294021820.png
    After:
    294031874.png

I've got a similar improvement on my 2mb- upload and d/l have both increased by about 20kbps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

antything like this for ibb dsl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

If that works (which honestly surprises me as I dont recall Eircom using PPPoA) probably the reason why you are getting higher speeds is because you are partially eliminating pppoe overhead, but I am afraid your pings unlikely to improve unless you are under less congestion.

For some reason after the test, in both cases the distance has increased from ~50 mi to ~100 mi... you are probably using a different BRAS

Run a tracert and follow the traces and see the differences...

Just curious...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

stabilised my ping alot tbh lol
    ever so slighty tho :p

same for dl speed, but thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭smiddyboy

Mines looking slightly better from before after doing this...
    297990100.png

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭mickzer

Mine went from this:
    298140320.png

To:
    298141743.png

:confused::confused::confused::confused:
    mickzer.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ourlad

Made mine worse

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Your ping (Latency) is more to do with the technology and the Hardware / configuration eircom uses. It changes anyway a bit, so you would need to gather a weeks stats and change and gather another weeks stats and then you will find that there is almost no difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭conjamuk

It worked for me I Never got below 30 to jolt.co.uk after I changed the settings I got 28 :D

mickzer wrote: »
    Mine went from this:
    298140320.png

To:
    298141743.png

:confused::confused::confused::confused:
    mickzer.

what speed you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Tried this with my Esat BT broadband
    As you will see my speed increased by a nice margin while it really made no difference to my ping
    Im happy with the extra speed :D

Before :
    Dublin
    302072435.png

Limerick
    302072813.png

AFTER

Dublin
    302073374.png

Limerick
    302073637.png

Galway
    302073856.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Erm, correct me if i'm wrong but Eircom don't use PPP authentication through an ATM they authenticate using standard ethernet so how is this working exactly?

Advertisement