Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staying dry

Options
  • 09-07-2008 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

So yeah, this weather is crap. When commuting, I don't mind cycling in the rain and getting wet as I can change when I get to work/home and it's only a short cycle.

But I want to keep up longer cycles on the mountain bike and not have to sit at home looking out at the rain. So what's good for keeping rain off, but not boiling in the bag?

I figure I'll get the overshoes mentioned recently. Might get a DHB rain jacket from wiggle. What about water proof shorts? A dry arse is nice. Or even full length waterproof trousers. Are there any that are actually good ? I have a pair of golf ones which are dire, as soon as I put them on I start sweating.

Are leg/arm warmers a good idea, or they are really just for cold weather?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

Slightly off topic, but are the roads around Laragh, lough Dan & Roundwood dangerous to ride on in this type of weather after work ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Basically, I find you just get wet. I'd suggest overshoes to keep your feet dry, and then leg and arm warmers -you'll get damp, but so long as you don't get cold you'll be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I used leg warmers for the first time on the ROK and they worked really well when it started raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Verb wrote: »
    I figure I'll get the overshoes mentioned recently. Might get a DHB rain jacket from wiggle. What about water proof shorts? A dry arse is nice. Or even full length waterproof trousers. Are there any that are actually good ? I have a pair of golf ones which are dire, as soon as I put them on I start sweating.

Are leg/arm warmers a good idea, or they are really just for cold weather?
    What I use for my commute in the winter, and works a treat for me is this:
    Waterproof socks under normal runners (or cycling shoes if you wear them) - basically your feet stay dry. If it's cold, you can wear another pair of socks under these.

Leggings - a decent pair will keep most of the rain off.
    Shorts over leggings - I find these really good, have had them a while and they're great

Top - tight long sleeve t-shirt
    Light jacket - a windbreaker type - not really waterproof as it'll only make you sweat.

I find waterproof stuff just makes you sweat. The kind of material that isn't waterproof, but doesn't really hold water is the best.

Waterproof socks though - can't stress how good these bad boys are! Sealskins is the brand, you get them in camping shops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Love your Balrog avatar Joker!

I'll go along with what Tiny says... as long as you stay warm you should be fine. Nothing I find is both waterproof and comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Slightly off topic, but are the roads around Laragh, lough Dan & Roundwood dangerous to ride on in this type of weather after work ??

Not as much fun, but not dangerous as long as you take the right precautions, i.e don't hammer it on descending and remember you'll have longer braking distances. I was up there myself this week. A lot of gravel has been washed onto the roads with the rain, which is something to look out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I wouldn't say they would be especially dangerous if you are extra careful on the descents, but it certainly wouldn't be much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

i got soem seal skinz from CRC last week and my fet were dry when i got to work today!
    Also have a really light rain jacket, its a team csc one - it fold up easy in to one of your jersey pockets. it keeps me dry without being overly warm.
    I have an altura waterproof jacket but I only wear it in the winter because its just too warm.
    Have never tried legwarmers, i do have some knee warmers but they tend to roll down so i dont bother witht hem really - just use tights or shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Love your Balrog avatar Joker!
    Cheers Hungrycol!

I'd like to put on my own custom avatar, but can't figure out how to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Chris Peak

You’re never really going to be 100% dry when it rains.

What I find the best thing to do is wear cycle shorts over your leggings to keep you warm if it’s really cold as well. If it is really cold, slip some thin woolly gloves into your cycle gloves to help keep your fingertips warm until you heat up.
    Wear any long sleeve quick drying top under a raincoat. It doesn’t seem to matter if it’s an expensive cycle coat or one of the cheap ‘ breathable’ ones you can get in camping shops, as you’re going to be damp anyway.
    Just wrap your work clothes in a plastic bag inside your rucksack, and you’ll be fine.

As for over-shoes, I can’t comment as I don’t have any, but lots of people swear by the neoprene ones. I just use thick socks in my cycle shoes as not much gets in, unless it’s a continued downpour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Great, thanks for all the replies. I thought that some of the more expensive waterproof jackets might actually work, without building up sweat, but I guess not.

I'll stick with base layers and a light windproof/water resistant jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Verb wrote: »
    Great, thanks for all the replies. I thought that some of the more expensive waterproof jackets might actually work, without building up sweat, but I guess not.

I'll stick with base layers and a light windproof/water resistant jacket.

Hi verb, most waterproof/breathable fabrics are overwhelmed by the amount of moisture your body produces, especially if your working hard. The most breathable type on the market at the moment is arguably eVent, with Gore-tex Paclite following in close order. I'm relatively new to cycling some am not familiar with all the brands (hillwalking background for myself) but pearl izumi definitely do cycling gear in event, and of course WL Gore does their own biking range.

Just for perspective, whilst sleeping at night (assuming your not up to any bedroom acrobatics :eek:) your body produces enough sweat to fill a full 300 ml can of coke, so when working hard, you body produces alot more and no waterproof and breathable fabric can cope or will be able to in the immediate future.

What you might find better is to get a highly breathable windproof top (thats not membrane based like gore windstopper) and treat it with a DWR - a Durable Water Repellent. Grangers and Nikwax are two well known brands - wash in the treatment and then tumble dry for a few hours. What will happen is that when water hits the surface of the garment, it will bead a roll off rather than being absorbed, keeping you dryer for longer.

Most good outdoor hiking shops or cycling shops will sell it - Great Outdoors, Millets and the Outdoor Adventure Store in Dublin will have it. (I used to work in the latter two!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Cheers, thanks a lot Neiled !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

I just wear overshoes, waterproof leggings from lidl (or aldi, i can't remember) and a gill jacket from crc on the commute. Nothing special. Not breathable, but I just go a bit slower on the way into work (adds less than 5 mins) and I arrive pretty sweat free and then peel the layers off to reveal a nice and dry layer underneath.

For training-overshoes and a pair of gloves. Depending on how cold it is i'd wear the rain coat. If it's very cold out, I'd wear the lidl leggings and an extra base layer. As someone else said-once you're not wet it's fine, but I don't let the shoes get wet as they end up stinking once the rain gets into them, and wet feet = athlete's foot for me so dry toes are essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

The clothing requirements for a long spin are very different from those for commuting, assuming that you don't plan to stop and hang around anywhere along the way. Once you are moving you'll stay warm even when wet if the wind doesn't cut you in two - windproof clothing is what you'll want rather than waterproof clothing. If you do stop anywhere you'll cool down very fast, particularly if wet and at that stage you'd really want another layer to put on before hopping back on the bike again.

A lot (but not all) cycling-specific clothing is windproof. If it is warm and showery weather, arm warmers+thermal top+short-sleeved cycling top and shorts work well. Anything cooler and wetter than that and I opt for overshooes, full length leggings, and a thermal (windproof) long sleeved top as my outer layer (inner layer of thermal top and short-sleeved cycling jersey, plus another short-sleeved cycle jersy and arm warmers if it is very cold/icy). There are different weights of tights/leggings availalable depending on conditions but if you were to buy just one pair then a thermal pair are the best bet.

I also carry a lightweight cycling windproof outer jacket with me (folds up very small) as an extra layer again in case I happen to get very cold or have to stop for a while to fix a puncture or something, but I have thankfully rarely needed to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

I realise that this may not answer your question, but I find that the most comfortable thing to wear in the rain is a good base layer.

It won't keep you dry when it's raining, but it should wick away most of the moisture pretty quickly and after most showers you'll be dry enough a few minutes after it stops raining. It also stops your jersey sticking to you and feeling clatty.

I was out the past couple of weekends in some really heavy showers for 2 -3 hrs, without any form of watherproof layer but didn't feel cold until I stopped. However I have ordered a thin, breathable and packable jacket from my LBS to help get through the Irish summer (can't wait for the summer to end so we can back to some decent weather).

I realise that this may be no help at all if you're commuting where the aim may be to keep your work clothes dry underneath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've only started commuting on the bike a bit. Almost everyone in my office who is cycling just gets wet, just wear enough to break the wind and stay warm and then changes in the office. The only people who don't are those who aren't cycling very far, they tend to wear full wet gear. I haven't got proper gear yet, just a cycling jacket. So just wearing shorts and t-shirt. But I'd just get wet, and like you say the only problem is if you stop, you get cold fast. So its a good incentive not to stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

BostonB - the base layer is so much better than a cotton tee shirt it's not funny. It's made from a manmade fabric that dries very quickly and helps keep the moisture away from your body.

I bought one online recently from Tenn Outdoors for £15 inc delivery, and it's not been off my back since !

Highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Yeah the guys at work all recommended those. Just haven't got to it yet. Only starting so don't want to go crazy buying gear till I know I can keep it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭bassman22

a light longsleeve t-shirt and a light rainjacket is what i use for commutes in the rain (about 12k) and thats fine. if its not too heavy ull zip down the front a bit when i overheat.

Never have found the right pair of rainbottoms tho, i get breathable and the rain gets in somehow in small patches, think it standard peter storm i have at the moment.
    anyway for me the key is light light light

footwear wise leather shoes or leatherish runners keep me dry

• Advertisement
Advertisement