Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

So much for the end of the Motor Industry

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

"Band B cars are taxed at roughly €150, while band C cars are closer to €200 per year".

What kind of shoddy research is that?? Lazy, lazy journalism...

As for the intent of the piece, I'd feel that this is a peak and will not rescue the year. Numbers will crash after July.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Dead cat bounce?

I'd suggest these cars were bought straight (not a great earner for a dealer) and without trade ins.

Dealers are already awash with used stock.

The outlook is pretty bleak. Credit is tight, and people have simply stopped spending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

1000 a day, spread over about 1500-1750 dealers nationwide.... I wouldn't say the Motor Industry was doing well based on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

steve06 wrote: »
    1000 a day, spread over about 1500-1750 dealers nationwide.... I wouldn't say the Motor Industry was doing well based on that!

!!:eek:

How many new cars do you think they sell??

I would have thought that 1,000 (twice as many as last July apparantly) was quite good

it would equate to 365,000 new cars a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

AudiChris wrote: »
    What kind of shoddy research is that?? Lazy, lazy journalism...

Its what we have become used to unfortunately....at least the term "gas-guzzler" does not appear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

btw lads, I bet this areticle is basted on new registrations, not car sales and I know dealers have been registering cars all year so they can keep their franchises... they're not actually selling them though!

And i ran a few reg searches on cartell and 08D57600 was as high as i got so at least 57600 cars have been registered in Dublin this year. Now that's in 190 days so say 303 a day in one county alone...

Now the article says "This meant sales in the past seven days outstripped the average daily sales for the year by over 300 cars and has seen the industry claw back lost ground on comparative figures for last year"

This article is complete trash!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Usually the CSO licensing figures are a better overall barometer of how many cars end up leaving the dealers forecourts.

http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1014017.shtml

Advertisement