Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A5 2.0TDi Prices Released

Options
  • 09-07-2008 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭

A5 2.0 TDI 170 BHP SE, CO2 140, Band B, Road Tax €150, RRP €47,500
    A5 2.0 TDI 170 BHP QUATTRO SE, CO2 156, Band D, Road Tax €430, RRP €50,800

There are no plans for automatic with this engine at the moment. Any orders placed would get Sept delivery.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

OK, I'm a confirmed Audi-phobe but just saw this review of the A4 2.0TDI by CAR Magazine:
    http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Audi-A4-20-TDI-SE-CAR-review/

Not exactly a glowing review from the mag or user comments...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭philtaylor

Thats the A4 Review, he's talking about the A5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

philtaylor wrote: »
    Thats the A4 Review, he's talking about the A5.

Which, despite the badging is an A4 minus 2 doors and a different bodystyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I do hate reading/watching British car reviews that gush over Ford UK, Jag etc. However it seems fairly specific in its critique, anyone here test drive new A4s/A5s?

Audichris could maybe clarify the difference in chassis between A5 and A4, I would think the handling and ride would be different based purely on the different intended markets, ignoring any technical differences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Audichris could maybe clarify the difference in chassis between A5 and A4, I would think the handling and ride would be different based purely on the different intended markets, ignoring any technical differences.

They're both on the same chassis - the Audi Modular Longitudinal Platform. Therefore you could assume the two handle the same (or equally badly, depending on your perspective :rolleyes:).

Then you take into account that the Q5 will also be on the MLP, and when you take into account the changes in handling that having a higher COG, longer suspension throw etc. will bring, you realise that sharing a platform doesn't necessarily equate to the same drive.

The A5 is lower and wider than the A4, and generally has larger wheels and lower profile tyres - therefore handling marginally differently. As Matt says, I'd expect it's tuned slightly differently anyway to cater for the different demographic, just as the same engines get different power ratings between the A4 & A5.

I've seen plenty of reviews that say the new A4/A5 is nose-heavy like the previous A4s, and I've seen plenty that say they're now nearly on a par with the 3-Series for handling (or as close as you can get with FWD). Every reviewer brings their baggage. I like driving the new A4 & A5, I think the new engines are fantastic and they're comfortable with a sporty leaning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I do hate reading/watching British car reviews that gush over Ford UK, Jag etc.

To be fair its not only UK mags that gush over Fords, handling, ride and build - german and Italian mags too - they generally are class leaders.
    AudiChris wrote: »
    I've seen plenty that say they're now nearly on a par with the 3-Series for handling (or as close as you can get with FWD).

To be fair Chris I've not seen one that states the A4/A5 is anything near on par with the 3 series and having driven an A5 this weekend, I would have to say give me my 3 series any day. I would even rate the Mondeo as a notch above the A5 in driver appeal (or as close as you can get with FWD)

With regard to the two cars sharing the same platform - the body can have a huge effect on torsional rigidity, weight distribution and consequently suspension settings etc -> handling - but it would be rare one body on a platform would be rubbish while another was excellent.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    To be fair Chris I've not seen one that states the A4/A5 is anything near on par with the 3 series and having driven an A5 this weekend, I would have to say give me my 3 series any day. I would even rate the Mondeo as a notch above the A5 in driver appeal (or as close as you can get with FWD)

I'll see if I can dig the reviews up, but I don't put a hell of a lot of weight in reviews either way. Every journo has their own frame of reference.

The Mondeo's always been fantastic, as has the Focus. You won't find any argument here.
    RobAMerc wrote: »
    With regard to the two cars sharing the same platform - the body can have a huge effect on torsional rigidity, weight distribution and consequently suspension settings etc -> handling - but it would be rare one body on a platform would be rubbish while another was excellent.

Exactly, the A4 & A5 handle quite similarly due to similar size, weight etc. Only the wider track, lower COG make any difference and it's marginal.

First try:

I googled "audi a4 bmw review", the first review (3rd result) was this link:
    http://www.speedsportlife.com/2008/06/21/speedsportlife-review-2009-audi-a4-never-before-an-a4-so-long-and-so-longed-for/

"...Audi has truly delivered this time, and the result is a car which meets or exceeds the standards set by the BMW E90 3 Series, to say nothing of the various other wannabes in the segment. The A4 has been a good car since its introduction. This is the best one yet....".

Any intrepid googler will find an equivalent review that cruicifies the A4/A5. That's not the point of this thread. If someone's interested in the diesel A5, they have the pricing info above. If not, then it's all academic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Who cares about the reviews. The A5 is still a beautiful looking car. Very hard choice between 3 series coupe and the A5 if I had the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Damien360 wrote: »
    Who cares about the reviews. The A5 is still a beautiful looking car. Very hard choice between 3 series coupe and the A5 if I had the cash.

Yeah, I have to say I really think the A5 is a much better looking car than the 3 series coupe and when seen on the road it looks much lower and wide than the bmw and has more presence on the road. It could be a great grand tourer.

This does look like it will be my next car :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The Mondeo is an extraordinary car. It was a revolution in 1993, and it is still at the top 15 years later. One of my all time favourite cars.

Its petrol engines are very dated though compared to the offerings by BMW and Audi, but apart from that it is very, very hard to find anything wrong with it. It deserves its position as this year's best selling family car, having shifted 5,170 up to June vs 3,884 for the Avensis over the same period.

I haven't driven the B8 A4, but I'm reliably informed that is a pleasant car to drive but not up to BMW standards for driving pleasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 donnacha.dunne

There are no plans for automatic with this engine at the moment. Any orders placed would get Sept delivery.
    Was with a dealer last week and they said that the A5 2.0 TDI would not be released till next year and did not have pricing.

Pricing indicated here is good would be interested at this pricing level.

BTW - watch out for dealers charging old prices for options on new cars. My recent visit found a new price for the car and old price for the options. I have the price form FEB 08 and they have not reduced. Previous to new VRT rates options on the 1.9TDI were cheaper than on the 2.0TDI as the VRT rates were different. However the price of those options have not been reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

If you strip out the VRT from the RRPs the SE version is more expensive than the Quattro:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Was with a dealer last week and they said that the A5 2.0 TDI would not be released till next year and did not have pricing.

BTW - watch out for dealers charging old prices for options on new cars. My recent visit found a new price for the car and old price for the options. I have the price form FEB 08 and they have not reduced. Previous to new VRT rates options on the 1.9TDI were cheaper than on the 2.0TDI as the VRT rates were different. However the price of those options have not been reduced.

I had the same experience my dealer was quoting me the old VRT rated extras and made no mention what so ever that they would actually be dropping or that they also had dropped in price. Previously they had mention that most of there commission was based on how many extras they sold ? is that the reason they didnt mention there was going to a drop the week after they wanted me to order the car.

I had the same experience my dealer was quoting me the old VRT rated extras and made no mention what so ever that they would actually be dropping or that they also had dropped in price. Previously they had mention that most of there commission was based on how many extras they sold ? is that the reason they didnt mention there was going to a drop the week after they wanted me to order the car.

Optional extras pricing was only announced last Wed, so your dealers were probably working with whatever info they had. That being said, everyone knew the optional extras pricing was due to change (although we didn't know how they'd change or by how much) and so should have advised accordingly.

The product guides which the dealers work from (and which you're probably referring to donnacha) haven't been updated by Audi Ireland yet, they've got a lot of documents to re-write and re-format.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

The A5 is a good looking car and it has lots of road presence but turn off the LEDs and put shayte wheels on it and I'm not so sure.

And from someone who was very much torn between the two cars the BMW drives an awful lot better, steering, handling and power you get for your money compared to what you get in the A5 for the same money, the BMW would be my choice anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

pburns wrote: »
    OK, I'm a confirmed Audi-phobe but just saw this review of the A4 2.0TDI by CAR Magazine:
    http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Audi-A4-20-TDI-SE-CAR-review/

Not exactly a glowing review from the mag or user comments...

In fairness as already pointed out - it is for the A4 and for the 143BHP version.

The above news relates to A5 and 2.0TDI 170.

But just in relation to A4 reviews:

2 that stick out in my mind are:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/217320/audi_a4_vs_rivals.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2008/0220/1203371230226.html

This was from the states too:

http://www.speedsportlife.com/2008/06/21/speedsportlife-review-2009-audi-a4-never-before-an-a4-so-long-and-so-longed-for/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

A5 x2 please. Matching his and hers. Blue and Silver please.

Now where is the cheque book with the lotto ticket :D

Glad to see a 2.0TDI version and 170bhp too. Same unit as Octavia VRS TDI then?

Very nice car cant wait till the day be able to afford one.

AudiChris - be honest how many hours a week do you spend watching the Audi Channel ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Hmmmm 2.0TDI TT is cheaper than the A5 :)

kluivert wrote: »
    AudiChris - be honest how many hours a week do you spend watching the Audi Channel ;)

The only thing that tears me away from it is a good ol' Sex And The City marathon! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,361 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I have an A5 1.8T. Its now 3 months old and I can safely say its the most expensive and worst car Ive ever had. It handles terribly. Been to the dealer numerous times (even today) They say it handles bad but there is nothing wrong with it. I have an independant engineer coming next week. Ive driven a few of them now (all 1.8T) and each of them to varying degrees seem to have the same problem. It feels like the front suspension is worn. They drift around on the road on all but the best surfaces.
    Its not torque steer as it will do it while braking, accelerating or just cruising. Its like the worst case of tramlining you could dream of and then add a bit of steering play.
    All I will say to anyone thinking of buying one is to insist on a long test drive, even try to have a car for a day or a weekend. If you find anything you dont like, walk away.
    This seems to be driver dependant too as I drove a neighbours car. It behaved a little like mine but not so bad but the owner finds nothing wrong with it. Be Warned.
    I am a long time Audi fan btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

mickdw wrote: »

They drift around on the road on all but the best surfaces.
    Its not torque steer as it will do it while braking, accelerating or just cruising. Its like the worst case of tramlining you could dream of and then add a bit of steering play.
    All I will say to anyone thinking of buying one is to insist on a long test drive, even try to have a car for a day or a weekend. If you find anything you dont like, walk away.

Maybe something ropey with the stock tyres?

RedorDead wrote: »
    In fairness as already pointed out - it is for the A4 and for the 143BHP version.

The above news relates to A5 and 2.0TDI 170.

But just in relation to A4 reviews:

2 that stick out in my mind are:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/217320/audi_a4_vs_rivals.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2008/0220/1203371230226.html

This was from the states too:

I would rate the opinion of CAR Magazine above the Irish Times or Auto-'Cheesey Headline'-Express...

And the A5 is - to all extents and purposes - an A4 Coupe. Even AudiChris has conceded this.

I would rate the opinion of CAR Magazine above the Irish Times or Auto-'Cheesey Headline'-Express...

Unless it proved your point, I'm sure... Reviews are reviews, mere guidelines that may or may not influence your choice in car.

I remember handing out cars for test to journos that would come back with 10 miles extra on the clock (co-incidentally twice the distance from us to their house, if you know what I mean). Some take it seriously, some don't. Some are Audi fans, some love BMW, both opinions will affect their impartiality.

Reviews, meh!

P.S. WhatCar, probably the most impartial magazine of all, has the A5 at 4 out of 5 stars.
    http://www.whatcar.com/car-review-summary.aspx?NEW_USED=1&MA_TYPE=1&MA=6&RT=2733&Submit1=GO

Reviews, meh!
    And the A5 is - to all extents and purposes - an A4 Coupe. Even AudiChris has conceded this.

I don't need to concede this, it's common knowledge.

The 3 Series and 3 Series Coupe are what Audi are fighting against when they designed the A4 and A5. They're saloon and coupe, brother and sister - doesn't necessarily mean they're the same car.

Taking for granted that it's common knowledge, I don't get your point...

Unless it proved your point, I'm sure... Reviews are reviews, mere guidelines that may or may not influence your choice in car.

I remember handing out cars for test to journos that would come back with 10 miles extra on the clock (co-incidentally twice the distance from us to their house, if you know what I mean). Some take it seriously, some don't. Some are Audi fans, some love BMW, both opinions will affect their impartiality.

Reviews, meh!

P.S. WhatCar, probably the most impartial magazine of all, has the A5 at 4 out of 5 stars.
    http://www.whatcar.com/car-review-summary.aspx?NEW_USED=1&MA_TYPE=1&MA=6&RT=2733&Submit1=GO

Reviews, meh!

I agree reviews can be taken with a pinch of salt at times. Sometimes the British mags rave about something when it's flavour-of-the-month only to change track 6-9 months down the line:rolleyes:. I get the feeling this has been the case with the A4. There's been a slow realisation that although a big improvement on the old model it's not quite on a par with the 3-series (or maybe even the new C-Class).

We could argue tit-for-tat about differing reviews all-day-long but I think it's generally acknowledged that Audi's new platform has failed to close the gap on BMW for driving pleasure. This won't matter for many prospective purchasers but for habitual contributors to this forum such a consideration is pretty important.

Re. 'What Car?', I've always found takes the cars-as-white-goods approach more than other comparable magazine and would have more trust in CAR and Autocar (the weekly gave the A4 great reviews at launch).
    I don't need to concede this, it's common knowledge.

The 3 Series and 3 Series Coupe are what Audi are fighting against when they designed the A4 and A5. They're saloon and coupe, brother and sister - doesn't necessarily mean they're the same car.

Taking for granted that it's common knowledge, I don't get your point...

I made the point because some, like philtaylor, pointed out that the review was for an A4 and your discussion is about an A5 (as if I was comparing an A6 with an R8 or apples and oranges).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,361 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Maybe something ropey with the stock tyres?

I changed from (non factory spec fitted by dealer on delivery!) firestone to Michelin pilot sport (Factory spec) and this did make a good difference but it still is far from right. Its on genuine 18" rims and dealer is saying that the wheel size is causing it. These rims are actually small on the car. It seems to be a characteristic of the cars that they are very fusy in relation to wheel alignmnent, tyre size, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

mickdw wrote: »
    I changed from (non factory spec fitted by dealer on delivery!) firestone to Michelin pilot sport (Factory spec) and this did make a good difference but it still is far from right. Its on genuine 18" rims and dealer is saying that the wheel size is causing it. These rims are actually small on the car. It seems to be a characteristic of the cars that they are very fusy in relation to wheel alignmnent, tyre size, etc.

My wife's brother-in-law has a new C-Class, and he's had it back to the dealers a good few times with alignment issues. He reckons it tram-lines and pulls to the left. I have driven it and I must say I don't notice it much. Its also on large alloys. I'm fairly used to hard suspension and bigger wheels myself, so maybe I'm, a bit immune to it...

Advertisement