Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Missing V5

Options
  • 09-07-2008 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

quick one, im in the process of buying a UK car from a dealer in London. He hasnt got the V5 for the vehicle. Its my understanding it takes the DVLA 4weeks to send out a new one when you apply for it. I know i cant Register the car here without the V5 and im hanging on the phone for the past 45 mins with the VRO office to see what i can do best way to approach it. Id rather pay up get everything done asap. Also im aware of the 24 hr rule in relation to VRT.
    Anyone have any similar circumstance or advice?? :confused:

Cheers All

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

if he can't find the V5 then it can't be put in your name... I wouldn't touch it till the V5 is present. you could end up paying, then the car could be reported stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Without a V5, you can apply to the DVLA for a "Certificate of permanent Export" and you can use this to register the car here. It will take them a few weeks to send it out to you. For those few weeks, I'd say just keep a copy of the letter you sent to the DVLA in the car with you, so that if you are stopped by the cops you can use it to show why it isn't registered yet.

However, as Steve said, do whatever you have to do to make bloody sure that it's not a stolen car. Do a HPI check and, if possible, try and contact the last owner to make sure. Unless there is something exceptional about this particular car like price or spec or it's a rare car, then I'd say save yourself the hassle and buy somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Personally, I wouldn't go NEAR a car without a V5. That's the equivalent of your logbook right there. It indicates an awful lot of things that would influence the value of the car, so it's in the seller's interest to 'lose' the V5 and then give you made up figures.
    I wouldn't chance taking it without the V5, too much hassle - wait until he's got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

you can't get a cert of export if the car isn't in your name!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

cheers Guys. Its so much hastle . But i think im gonna go for it. Hpi already came out clear and the AA guy said it was in decent nick. So i think im gonna fill out the V756 Form. Contacted the DVLA and they said thats all i needed but it will take a few weeks to send out. Just have the problem of the Guards/Custom constantly pulling me in even though i really want to pay off the bloody VRT and be done with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

listermint wrote: »
    cheers Guys. Its so much hastle . But i think im gonna go for it. Hpi already came out clear and the AA guy said it was in decent nick. So i think im gonna fill out the V756 Form. Contacted the DVLA and they said thats all i needed but it will take a few weeks to send out. Just have the problem of the Guards/Custom constantly pulling me in even though i really want to pay off the bloody VRT and be done with it.

Have the agree with the other posters, its VERY silly to buy without the original V5 in your hand. You're just looking for trouble!

Advertisement