Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quickest Route from Waterford to Galway

• 09-07-2008 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Going to the Galway races on Friday 1st August for the evening meeting and was wondering if anyone on here has suggestions as to the best i.e. quickest route to take.

I dont want to take a full day off work and was hoping to leave around one with a view to being in the racecourse by 5.30pm. A bit optimistic as it took us nearly 5hours to drive back from there last year.

The Limerick route is the obvious but the roads are always busy.

Has anyone any suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Fly maybe,
    Flights from Waterford to Galway are up to twice daily during the summer. Fares are fixed at 117euro return. www.aerarann.com i'm sure has all the times, though with the races on I'd guess the flights might be full already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

If you're driving, I've only ever gone through Limerick to get to Galway.

Check this website or use a tom-tom if you have one for quickest route: http://www.aaireland.ie/routes/

But I'd imagine, Limerick is the quickest way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

borrow a satnav from someone, and look at a map and work out what way you want to go if you want to try and avoid limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Friends in Kilkenny go via Portumna, but then from Waterford you have to factor in going to Kilkenny first. I don't know how well that would suit you.

Train to Kildare and down to Galway then is another possibility.

If time is more important than money, look into flying. There are a good few flights a day.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I usally head for Kilkenny, then head out the new road for Durrow then onto Borris on Ossery, Roscrea, Birr, Portumna and then onto Galway. About 3 hrs 20 it has taken me on a friday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 paddy1mac

cheers lads, that borris on ossery route looks good - actually flew up last year - but that was on a junket - work in construction - no hope of a repeat of that this year with the downturn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I was going to suggest the Kilkenny route also I know a lot of the lads head that way when they're going to Athenry. I myself usually go the Limerick route as it's the one I know best. The sooner that tunnel is open under the Shannon the better will be able to completely by pass the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭sunnyse

I usally head for Kilkenny, then head out the new road for Durrow then onto Borris on Ossery, Roscrea, Birr, Portumna and then onto Galway. About 3 hrs 20 it has taken me on a friday evening.

I'm from Galway and this is the route I use every time....heading there today actually:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I was going to say via Portumna myself alright. Can be a bit of a bollox of a route if your not certain of the route though.

Plus the roads that was are fairly narrow and winding so if you get caught behind a truck or something your behind them for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Aquos76 wrote: »

that's the way I've taken from KK also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

Viamichelin is great for figuring out this kind of thing, though all their routes go via Limerick, which is generally not good in my, albeit fairly limited, experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

I usually drive to Galway and back every few weeks, always go Waterford - Clonmel - Limerick and up then. Never takes more than 3hrs 30mins in traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=Waterford,+Ireland&daddr=galway&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=9.077644,19.248047&ie=UTF8&ll=52.762892,-7.948608&spn=1.161729,2.406006&z=9

Any recent satnav should bring you that route...

Considering that there are good roads from Limerick to Ennis, and possibly further, I'ld probably be tempted to go via Limerick. Although traffic in Limerick city centre will be chaotic on a Friday afternoon and there is no other way across the river that I know of.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=Waterford,+Ireland&daddr=52.641397,-8.544617+to:galway&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=9&via=1&sll=52.809403,-8.33313&sspn=1.160488,2.406006&ie=UTF8&ll=52.880734,-8.09967&spn=1.158583,2.406006&z=9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Aquos76 wrote: »

you could try Clonmel , Thurles , Rocrea Birr , Portumna ................

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Google Maps, in my opinion, is the better option to use for getting advise on routes. Its a decent map and gives decent directions along side it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

I find that the Watrford Limerick Galway route is still the best - the new bypass around Ennis really helps - but don't follow the signs for Galway as you come into Limerick cos it sends you on the new bypass but adds miles to route.

Just head into Limerick city centre and over new bridge (I usually turn left at the Prison, then left again and at the light(100 yards) turn right onto Carey's Road. That brings me to Peoples Park (right & left) and it is straight down to the bridge then.)

Advertisement