Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Saab 9-3 1.9TID

Options
  • 09-07-2008 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

I'm in the market for a decent 2nd hand diesel and while browsing carzone a stumbled across this -

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Saab/9-3/1.9-TID/1063460/

I have a budget of around 18k but i'm in no hurry and can afford to wait until the i find the right car.

Just looking for your thoughts on the Saab.

I just think there is something dodgy about it, maybe i'm wrong!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Foreign reg. VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

description says price includes VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

I was given a similar model as a replacement when my car was in for fixing. It was 1 year old and had 20 something thousand miles on the clock. It was the worst car I've ever driven.

The steering was extremely unresponsive, it was very sluggish, gears were so awkward to change and it is just plasticy inside.

I'd recommend perhaps a passat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

The Saab is an Opel Vectra in different clothes, wouldn't touch it...

how about this?....

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Passat/1.9-TDI/1075626/

in todays market you'd be able to get something like that for 18k

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

the passat is a skoda in different clothes. Wouldn't be boring enough to touch that..

• Advertisement

the passat is a skoda in different clothes. Wouldn't be boring enough to touch that..

Which skoda? :confused:

Actually the platforms are developed by volkswagen and audi and then shared throughout the various companies with the "value" brands like skoda and seat using the previous generation platforms not the current generation platforms.

So in fact the passat, featured above, could not possibly be a skoda!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Clare_Guy wrote: »
    Which skoda? :confused:

Actually the platforms are developed by volkswagen and audi and then shared throughout the various companies with the "value" brands like skoda and seat using the previous generation platforms not the current generation platforms.

So in fact the passat, featured above, could not possibly be a skoda!!

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Fair enough the original superb was built on a fairly tired passat platform and the new one is coming several years after the current passat was launched. The superb is hardly a volume seller so you can see why they concentrate on their cash cows, the octavia and fabia.
    The current octavia uses the current golf mk V platform and was launched at close on the same time. The previous generation used the platform from the contemporary golf, the mk IV, and again was launched at around the same time.
    The the original fabia was the first car to be built on the platform later used to underpin the current polo and the recently replaced seat ibiza. Similarly the current fabia was the first car to be built on the platform that the recently launched seat ibiza is now built on and the next generation polo will also use.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Fair enough the original superb was built on a fairly tired passat platform and the new one is coming several years after the current passat was launched. The superb is hardly a volume seller so you can see why they concentrate on their cash cows, the octavia and fabia.
    The current octavia uses the current golf mk V platform and was launched at close on the same time. The previous generation used the platform from the contemporary golf, the mk IV, and again was launched at around the same time.
    The the original fabia was the first car to be built on the platform later used to underpin the current polo and the recently replaced seat ibiza. Similarly the current fabia was the first car to be built on the platform that the recently launched seat ibiza is now built on and the next generation polo will also use.

So which current skoda is the passat a version of?

exactly...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

So which current skoda is the passat a version of?

exactly...

The new Skoda Superb is on sale across europe and shares a platform with the current Passat, should be in RHD soon.
    If you were referring only to the Passat platform then why did you mention Seat as receiving previous generation platforms when they have never built any car that shared a platform with any generation of Passat?

Anyway, back on topic, take the saab for a test drive, get it checked out by a mechanic and run a HPI check on the UK reg. If everything checks out and you like it, then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

True, but the 1.9 Tid is a rebadged Fiat JTD, regarded by many as one of the best Diesels around at the minute

• Advertisement

alias no.9 wrote: »
    The new Skoda Superb is on sale across europe and shares a platform with the current Passat, should be in RHD soon.
    If you were referring only to the Passat platform then why did you mention Seat as receiving previous generation platforms when they have never built any car that shared a platform with any generation of Passat?

Anyway, back on topic, take the saab for a test drive, get it checked out by a mechanic and run a HPI check on the UK reg. If everything checks out and you like it, then go for it.

Never?...

Well, the 04 Altea, 05 Toledo Mk3, and 06 Leon Mk2 are all based on the A5 (PQ35) platform and the current passat is also an A5 platform albeit enlarged (PQ46)

and in fact the original superb was based on an enlarged passat platform that was only previously available in china...

Anyway my point is that the platforms are developed originally for the big sellers passat, a6, a4, golf, polo, etc and as you pointed out they are also used for the minor (relatively) selling "value brands" if you really believe that these platforms would exist if it were not for the volkswagen and audi brands you're kidding yourself...

in no way could you call any volkswagen or audi a skoda or a seat in different clothes. just like you could never call a vectra a saab in different clothes...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

The SAAB is a far better looking car than the passat imo .

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Way to get off topic there guys.

I always liked the 9-3.

The interior however is very sensitive to colour/spec/leather combo etc. Also, the dashboard was slightly redesigned for last years model, i.e, pre-facelift. The new one is a lot nicer than the old one IMO. I can see from the pic, and the many buttons on the dash, that this car has the old one. I think the beige colour interiors look better.

A friend of mine took a brand new BioPower for a test recently and although I didnt drive it, I was on board..! Feedback re how it drove was: 'It's ok... Just ok though.' It was easy to drive though, light steering etc. with a frankly excellent turning circle - esp given this one was wearing huge wheels. It was not as exciting as he was hoping - but it was perfectly competent.

As someone else pointed out, the diesel is highly regarded - in motor magazines at least. I know nothing of their reliability, but given that the engine is used by everyone from Fiat/Alfa/Opel/Saab and others - it must be a pretty good engine..?

Also, you might want to have a look at that car-survey website - seem to be a few owners out there that arent that happy with their 9-3s. I think whatever probs afflicted the early cars would have been ironed out by now though - especially in the post 07 facelift cars.

btw - the new passat seems to have its fair share of problems too.

Barr wrote: »

it is a good looking car. i can't say it's better looking than the passat. it's a matter of personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

+1

Saab is a bit of a Q-car. Passat is a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

Would pick the Saab 1000 times over the boring vag.

As for the shared GM chassis, get over it. Shared platforms have been keeping cars prices down for years.

That said, go for the Vector model. Its the only decent spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

If you get a SAAB, make sure it is cheap. They don't really sell secondhand. Cousin of mine tried trading one in this year and bought another SAAB, because no one else would take it.

The 1.9 Passat is a dead yoke with damn all go and a desperate amount of noise. The 2.0 would be a better bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

JackM_79 wrote: »

I just think there is something dodgy about it, maybe i'm wrong!!!

Have to say i'm always suspicious of the cheapest cars in a given year on carzone. Of the 82 Saab 9.3s on Carzone this is the no.80. Yet it has low milage, FSH and is well speced. Looks like a dealer selling but viewing strictly by appointment?

If something looks too good to be true...........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

If only Saab could compete head-to-head in dynamic terms with the Germans - even if only to Audi level:(.

The Saab 900 Turbo of the early '80s is one of the coolest, most distinctive, classless cars ever. Saab as a 'brand' is spot on for the caring, sharing, environmentally-aware zeitgeist of the moment.

There wasn't enough investment in product and models like the 9000 & 9-5 were allowed soldier on too long (with 4 pot engines when all the rivals and at least 6). And if the X-Type Jag is a flop partly because of the stigma of (excellent) Mondeo underpinings, imaging the stigma Saab has with a Vectra connection:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Not sure if the Saab has many of the same bits as a Vectra, but ive drove my dads 05 Vectra a few times [120 bhp version] and one thing i dont like is the very light steering.

I have a 98 car with decent miles on the clock, which might have heavier steering than the average, so maybe that why i notice it so much, but you just dont seem to get a proper 'feel' of the car on the road.

Could also be just because i dont drive it long enough to get used to it each time im in it. In any case take one for a test drive to see if you like it. I personally like Saabs and they are in my opinion a quality brand of car that is a nice change from other cars that are more plentyful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭JackM_79

From looking at some car review sites, the 1.9 TID has had T-Belts snap at 40k!! Has any one here has had any 1st hand experience of this or other problems with this model??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

how about this?....

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Passat/1.9-TDI/1075626/

in todays market you'd be able to get something like that for 18k

Ok looking to buying the 1.9Tid as well, sorry to bring up an old thread but this interests me, have had 2 Passat over the last few years and liked them but abit bored of them now and wanted to change to something different....have heard all the stories about Passat/Skoda over the years so don't want to listen to anymore. Just wondering in regards to the Saab is it a Vectra or as someone else mentioned there is a Fiat engine in it? just wondering before I go out and spend thew hard cash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Saab or volkswagon, are you having a laugh, I'd pick the saab everytime!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Just wondering in regards to the Saab is it a Vectra or as someone else mentioned there is a Fiat engine in it? just wondering before I go out and spend thew hard cash?

Saab is owned by General Motors, so is Opel/Vauxhall. Hence both brands share platforms. Saab engineers have always tweaked the platforms to get more Saab-like driving characteristics(with varied success).Saab use their own petrol engine in different stages of tune and for diesel they used to have GMs 2.2 which was replaced with Fiats 1.9 (who GM had a deal with for a while on engine development and use). Saab seats are supposed to be the best in the business and Saab interiors are just Saab.

A Saab is less of a Vectra than an Octavia is a Golf ...if that helps any
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Ok looking to buying the 1.9Tid as well, sorry to bring up an old thread but this interests me, have had 2 Passat over the last few years and liked them but abit bored of them now and wanted to change to something different....have heard all the stories about Passat/Skoda over the years so don't want to listen to anymore. Just wondering in regards to the Saab is it a Vectra or as someone else mentioned there is a Fiat engine in it? just wondering before I go out and spend thew hard cash?

The Saab 9-3 shares a lot of components with the Vectra C i.e chassis, suspension components and some engines. This is common with a lot of manufacturers for cost saving reasons. I have a vectra C SRi CDTi (150). This engine is available in the Saab but it is more commonly the 120 bhp versions in the Saab's for some reason. Having driven both the 150 version is much better so make sure thats the model you are looking at. There are visual differences in te engine that tell them apart.

The Fiat unit is recognised as being one of the best diesels on the market today and cannot be compared to the older design 1.9 VAG unit. It is lights year ahead of it. The newer 2.0 VAG unit would be a better comparison.

Timing belts have been flagged as an issue and should be changed around the 50k mile mark. There are 2 versions of the timing belt i.e a long life and a normal. The Vectra has the long life which is good (touch wood) for about 60k miles. But I would change it at the 40k mark for piece of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

peasant wrote: »
    Saab is owned by General Motors, so is Opel/Vauxhall. Hence both brands share platforms. Saab engineers have always tweaked the platforms to get more Saab-like driving characteristics(with varied success).Saab use their own petrol engine in different stages of tune and for diesel they used to have GMs 2.2 which was replaced with Fiats 1.9 (who GM had a deal with for a while on engine development and use). Saab seats are supposed to be the best in the business and Saab interiors are just Saab.

A Saab is less of a Vectra than an Octavia is a Golf ...if that helps any
    :D

+1. good overview post. Those Fiat diesel engines are awarding winning too, and 2nd hand that Saab with that 150 engine should be available at excellent value.

As I said above, go for the Vector spec if you can find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

JackM_79 wrote: »
    From looking at some car review sites, the 1.9 TID has had T-Belts snap at 40k!! Has any one here has had any 1st hand experience of this or other problems with this model??

I've an 06 Saab 93 1.9TD 120BHP. 60K on the clock now, 30K service intervals, no issues at all. Not a bad car at all, very comfortable, huge boot, poor rear seat leg room (but loads up front). I compared it to the (then) new Passat when I bought - just another alright car. Others have said the Passat will hold it's value better - but it's more expensive to begin with too. Likewise, yeah, a lot of parts are similar to the Vectra, but the car isn't.

Advertisement