Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birthday Party

Options
  • 09-07-2008 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

I moved to a new city about a year ago in late July and spent my 26th birthday by myself. My close friends live all across the country (I'm located in the States).
    I have a few friends in the area now and am thinking of maybe having a birthday party for my 27th. I don't really drink and I don't like clubbing, so I was thinking about having an afternoon to dusk picnic birthday at a local park. The park has picnic grounds, hiking trails, and a large lake with a beach area where you can swim, go canoing and fishing, play volleyball games etc..
    I'm just nervous about asking people and afraid that no one will want to show up since it's not the normal dinner/drinking/clubbing thing. Also, I haven't had a birthday party since I was 8 years old. My parents said I was too old after that. And I wasn't allowed to have friends over or sleepovers, so inviting people to come out with me is kind of unchartered territory.
    Should I go for it? I just don't want to be disappointed if no one can come or wants to come. My birthday is the 13th of August and I'm thinking of doing this the following weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Go for it man, seriously, if any nation is up for a decent party outdoors that doesnt revolve around drinking yourself stupid its the Americans !

Now is the right time to just drop it into conversation, gives people time to make plans and stuff. You have nothing to loose and an excellent day/night to gain out of it !

I know how the birthday on your own thing sucks. I spent my 24th on my own this year in an empty apartment. I'd just moved for work and it happened the day I was due to arrive was my B-day. Knew no one here and ate dinner alone in my room, sucky birthday :D

If you feel really nervous ask one of your close friends to help you organise it. I'm sure they'll jump at the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

c - 13 wrote: »
    Go for it man, seriously

I agree, I would love to do something like that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Aw, honey don't worry I'm sure loads of people will come. You'll probably end up seeing people that you didn't even invite!

Good luck and happy birthday, mine's the Friday before you :D

Advertisement