Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currys/Dixons/PC World Coverplan

Options
  • 09-07-2008 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭

Ok, so there are lots of posts on here rubbishing the coverplans provided by the aforementioned companies, and the general consensus seems to be that they're simply not worth the paper that they're written on.

Just wondering if anyone has any *good* experiences to share or is it really all doom and gloom with them?

Unfortunately I got suckered into taking out a 3 year coverplan with Currys on a E1,500 tv (normally I'd stay clear of the coverplans, however my last TV broke a month or two outside of the warranty and it cost E600 to fix it - the salesperson assured me that if this had happened to me and I had the coverplan insurance I would have been covered)

Oh, and I too got the "Hey, you know, 3 years down the line and you fancy a new tv and yours has an unfortunate "accident" you can upgrade with coverplan for free!" :rolleyes:

Should anything ever happen to my beloved TV is the Coverplan of any use or will I be fobbed off?

Has anyone had any success stories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

How is this a bargain? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from Bargain Alerts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭boardsie08

Whoops, sorry my bad!! Wrong forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

boardsie08 wrote: »
    Oh, and I too got the "Hey, you know, 3 years down the line and you fancy a new tv and yours has an unfortunate "accident" you can upgrade with coverplan for free!" :rolleyes:

You wont be able to do this any more. With the tvs an engineer will either come out and try and fix it and/or it will be collected from your house and sent off for repair. If it cant be fixed or replaced with the same model you will get vouchers to the value that you paid for the tv and a portion of the coverplan depending on how long is left.

I think its worth it for cameras and laptops but not desktops. Tvs, it depends if the manufacturer gives more than a year and/or if your worried about accidentally damaging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Great for Mp3 players and other portable stuff. believe me ive used the coverplan and also i did work for dixons and it came in really handy for all portable items that always get knocks. However the camera/camcorder was always quite pricey which reflected the use i suppose.

Id never have bought it on a tv and still wouldnt bother my ass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I actually had one a few years ago with a Compaq computer I got from PC World, the first computer I ever bought. A year or so after the purchase, the thing began to pay for itself. Monitor was replaced twice, mainboard once and CDRW was replaced three times. The engineer had several trips to make to me, always the same chap which was good. They either had refurbished items or ones that were new, you won't get an upgraded model if yours isn't available.

Advertisement