Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ben and jerrys competition

Options
  • 09-07-2008 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend recently won the overall prize for a competition on ben and jerry's website.The prize was a trip to london for 4 to the ben and jerry's music festival, She was unable to attend on the dates... So she asked for an alternative prize, she received it today the contents were

5 Fridge magnets
    256mb usb memory stick
    a hat
    2 bags
    2 plastic spoons
    a larnyard
    an ice cream holder
    and some leaflets about ben and jerry

How does this compare to a trip to london... They could of at least threw in a couple of vouchers or something lol...What do you guys think anyone ever won anything off them before?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Just be glad ye didnt go. By the sounds of that your accomodation would have been a tent pitched in piccadilly.:)

Tho I suppose if a competition has fixed dates it's youre own tough luck really if you cant go. You often hear that mentioned where holiday prizes are concerned: make sure the dates suit you and that you will be able to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You've got nothing to lose by contacting them and voicing your disappointment at the alernative prize. Maybe they'll do something further for you.

Of course they're not obliged to, but worth mentioning to them I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

was the dates not appropriate or was it because she had not reached the required age to qualify and because of this they sent her a complementary goodie bag instead !!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

The date was not appropriate mr pebble head excuse you... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

The date was not appropriate mr pebble head excuse you... :cool:

yorema:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

My girlfriend recently won the overall prize for a competition on ben and jerry's website.The prize was a trip to london for 4 to the ben and jerry's music festival, She was unable to attend on the dates... So she asked for an alternative prize, she received it today the contents were

5 Fridge magnets
    256mb usb memory stick
    a hat
    2 bags
    2 plastic spoons
    a larnyard
    an ice cream holder
    and some leaflets about ben and jerry

How does this compare to a trip to london... They could of at least threw in a couple of vouchers or something lol...What do you guys think anyone ever won anything off them before?
    Was she even entitled to an alternative prize? i.e. was it mentioned in the T&C's? could she not let someone else go in her place?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

TBH, it all depends what was mentioned in the Terms & Conditions of the competition. If they are not stated on the leaflet, then an address from which you can obtain a copy of the T&Cs must be supplied.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I didn't enter this but I think from memory of reading the t&c's that you had to be able to attend the specified dates.

The majority of competitions are usually non transferable so you probably wouldn't have been able to send someone instead anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There is usually no alternate prize in these competitions for trips to specific events so Ben & Jerry are not obliged to give her anything in return. The Prize was clearly identified before she entered the competition therefore she can have no gripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you would enter a competition to win a trip to a music festival, if you cannot travel on the dates that the music festival is on.

While the items that they sent instead wouldn't seem to be worth much, I think your girlfriend is a bit fortunate to have received anything at all, in that the competition organisers wouldn't be obliged to give her anything and the fact that they offered anything is just a goodwill gesture. They probably can't understand why someone would enter a competition to win a travel prize that they can't take, unless that is, something unavoidable came up after she entered.

I think this is why you often see in competition rules that the prize is non-transferable and there is no cash alternative. They want people to accept the prize and attend the actual event, which in this case, was an event sponsored by the company.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

heyjude wrote: »
    I'm a bit puzzled as to why you would enter a competition to win a trip to a music festival, if you cannot travel on the dates that the music festival is on.

While the items that they sent instead wouldn't seem to be worth much, I think your girlfriend is a bit fortunate to have received anything at all, in that the competition organisers wouldn't be obliged to give her anything and the fact that they offered anything is just a goodwill gesture. They probably can't understand why someone would enter a competition to win a travel prize that they can't take, unless that is, something unavoidable came up after she entered.

Have to agree with this, unless something really important came up at the last min I fail to see why somebody with enter the comp

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

I entered this competition too and was one of the other weekly winners whose tips were meant to be competing for this prize.

That list of goodies is exactly what I got for my winning tip. All five of us got the same goodie-pack presumably, - are you sure this was a consolation thing because she couldn't go?
    She should have got this stuff regardless like the rest of us. The music festival prize was to be awarded in addition.

Gotta say, I was a little bitter that the top prize went to;
    "Don't leave the tap running while your brushing your teeth"
    here they are if anyone wants...
    http://www.benjerry.ie/samplingtour/winners-tips.php

Would like to have gone and thought the others were better.
    Don't think it was a random draw, - it said something like "best tip from the weekly winners wins main prize".

I'll get over it in time.

Advertisement