Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KJW sig p229 hop up

Options
  • 09-07-2008 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

I have my sig p229 full metal for about 3 weeks now and have to say it is the business, it almost outshoots my marui sig p226 and definitely looks and feels better. With the past week or so i've noticed my shots falling maybe an inch below where they should normally be. i've tried adjusting the hop up but makes absolutely no difference.

The piece is kept in immaculate condition, well lubricated etc, and i've tried using different types of gas with it and no luck. I'm afraid now i've damaged the hop up somehow. Anyone got any ideas?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Fullback

Horse84 wrote: »
    I have my sig p229 full metal for about 3 weeks now and have to say it is the business, it almost outshoots my marui sig p226 and definitely looks and feels better. With the past week or so i've noticed my shots falling maybe an inch below where they should normally be. i've tried adjusting the hop up but makes absolutely no difference.

The piece is kept in immaculate condition, well lubricated etc, and i've tried using different types of gas with it and no luck. I'm afraid now i've damaged the hop up somehow. Anyone got any ideas?:confused:

I´ve got the same problem with a KJW P226 - it consistently shoots low and left by about 2" at 15 feet (Hop up has no effect at all)
    I've spoken to the shop I got it from and will get them to check it out next week. If I learn anything from it I´ll let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Horse84

Well at least i'm not the only one fullback. You're right like it's shooting down and to the left. Gonna tackle it again now and see if i can fix it and thanks any feedback from the supplier would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

I have the same airsoft pistol and have not noticed this problem.

I note you say it is well lubricated. Perhaps this is the problem. Have you inadvertantly lubricated the hop-up? Try running a cotton patch through it to try and remove some of the lubrication.

Failling that adjust the hop-up to the minimum setting and fire say 5 BB's. Not the results. If possible rest your arm or the pistol on something that doesn't move. The apply some hop-up and fire 5 more BB's. Note the results. Any difference? Do the same again with more hop-up applied and note results.

If no effect is noted, try removing the hop-up itself and re-install with it rotated 90 degrees from the original position and try the above again.

Tactical wrote: »
    I have the same airsoft pistol and have not noticed this problem.

I note you say it is well lubricated. Perhaps this is the problem. Have you inadvertantly lubricated the hop-up? Try running a cotton patch through it to try and remove some of the lubrication.

Failling that adjust the hop-up to the minimum setting and fire say 5 BB's. Not the results. If possible rest your arm or the pistol on something that doesn't move. The apply some hop-up and fire 5 more BB's. Note the results. Any difference? Do the same again with more hop-up applied and note results.

If no effect is noted, try removing the hop-up itself and re-install with it rotated 90 degrees from the original position and try the above again.

Tactical i think you've solved it spent last night cleaning out the hop up and generally cleaning with a cotton bud and it seems to have done the trick. Some lube must've gotten in there somehow.

I am now one very happy corkman and have a feeling i'm going to have to purchase a sh**t load of bb's for the weekend:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Fullback

Thanks Tactical, I´ll check that as well.
    The green gas I use is supposed to have a lubricant (silicone) in it. Doesn´t this pose a bit of a problem if it´s the gas that´s causing the problem ?
    Do these need to have lubricated gas or is it just for the seals in the mag ?

• Advertisement

Why didn't I think of cotton buds for that!

Glad to hear that it seems to have improved things Horse.

I use the Ultrair Power Gas, ref# 14571 which I purchase from Airsofteire. I don't know if this has added lubricant (I suspect it has a little). I maintain my P226 on a regular basis I haven't seen a problem yet with it. I've in excess of 5000 rounds put through it now.

I lubricate the pistol sparingly with silicone oil and this does the trick nicely. I work the action several times and wipe off any excess lubricant to prevent mess and dust and grime gathering.

I haven't experienced any problem with any lubrication the gas may have but since I've stuck to this brand of gas and not tried any others I couldn't be sure if this would cause a problem with the hop up.

In relation to lubricated gas Fullback, ideally a little lubrication will be good for the valves and seals but I suspect its not enough to cause problems to the hopup or I'm sure that this problem would have reared its ugly head before now.

I'm curious to see how you get on Fullback. I'd really have no hesitation purchasing another one of these pistols and even the additional magazines now that I have solved the leak issues.

Why didn't I think of cotton buds for that!

Glad to hear that it seems to have improved things Horse.

I use the Ultrair Power Gas, ref# 14571 which I purchase from Airsofteire. I don't know if this has added lubricant (I suspect it has a little). I maintain my P226 on a regular basis I haven't seen a problem yet with it. I've in excess of 5000 rounds put through it now.

I lubricate the pistol sparingly with silicone oil and this does the trick nicely. I work the action several times and wipe off any excess lubricant to prevent mess and dust and grime gathering.

I haven't experienced any problem with any lubrication the gas may have but since I've stuck to this brand of gas and not tried any others I couldn't be sure if this would cause a problem with the hop up.

In relation to lubricated gas Fullback, ideally a little lubrication will be good for the valves and seals but I suspect its not enough to cause problems to the hopup or I'm sure that this problem would have reared its ugly head before now.

I'm curious to see how you get on Fullback. I'd really have no hesitation purchasing another one of these pistols and even the additional magazines now that I have solved the leak issues.

Yea i mainly use ultrair as well tactical never had any problems before this. I'm gonna have to keep an eye on it i guess.

On the issue of purchasing new mags i'm extremely sceptical. Anyone i talk to are of the opinion that the spare kjw mags they get for the kjw p226/p229 are of lower quality than the mag they get with the initial piece.

As i have already mentioned i have a tm p226 and i have been using it's mag on the p229 with no problems, (so i don't need a spare mag). It sticks out a bit below the grip , but that's not a prob. I'd def go for a tm mag over a spare kjw p229 mag any day. This has had nothing to do with my hop up problem by the way as it was happening with both mags.

Horse84 wrote: »
    On the issue of purchasing new mags i'm extremely sceptical. Anyone i talk to are of the opinion that the spare kjw mags they get for the kjw p226/p229 are of lower quality than the mag they get with the initial piece.

I'd agree 100% with that.

When I purchased my additional mag it leaked worse than the Titanic.

I had initially just tried carefully tightening up the screw at the bottom and this helped for a while.

The the mag started leaking like crazy again. I read a few of the various threads and topics generally available here and other places on the internet and there were various suggestions as to why and how the mags leaked and the respective fixes their owners had employed.

Most popular seemed to be putting thread under the main o-ring and re-assembling the mag, then using brake / clutch fluid to swell the o-ring.

These fixes didn't really appeal to me. After all, we're trying to fix a leaky joint. What would typically be used to seal a gas joint? PTFE tape and probably gas sealing compound.

I said I'd start with the PTFE tape and keep the gas sealing compound in reserve for use later if needed.

I applied several turns of PTFE tape over the o-ring and carefully pushed the mag back together. It now is what I'd call an interference fit. Nice and tight but not needing a hammer to put the two halves of the mag together, just enough to require the screw to properly pull the mag back together.

At that point I noticed that the o-ring under the screw was looking in pretty poor shape also and could probably use some help. A couple of turns of PTFE tape around the shaft of the screw done the trick nicely.

Carefully tightened the screw but didn't over-torque it. The two halves of the magazine drew nicely together.

The mag hasn't leaked since then and has even held gas for around two weeks and still emptied a full mag through the pistol without any problem.

So if buying additional mags, I'd again purchase the KJW ones and immediately do exactly what I've described above as well as lubricate the gas fill valve and the release valve with silicone lubricant.

I said I'd start with the PTFE tape and keep the gas sealing compound in reserve for use later if needed.

I applied several turns of PTFE tape over the o-ring and carefully pushed the mag back together. It now is what I'd call an interference fit. Nice and tight but not needing a hammer to put the two halves of the mag together, just enough to require the screw to properly pull the mag back together.

At that point I noticed that the o-ring under the screw was looking in pretty poor shape also and could probably use some help. A couple of turns of PTFE tape around the shaft of the screw done the trick nicely.

Carefully tightened the screw but didn't over-torque it. The two halves of the magazine drew nicely together.

Right i think i'll get a box of those mags, get your address and send em to ya and u can fix em for me:D.

Seriously it's an awful lot of work and hassle to go through to fix something that you have paid good money for and the least you'd expect of it is for it to do what it was designed to do and hold gas. Nobody can blame the retailers either i guess, they can't be expected to check every single mag??

It's a pity really cause it's a great piece, but at the end of the day it's still a clone and will never be up there in terms of build quality i suppose!

Yeah, I wouldn't charge too much for undertaking the necessary work :D

I agree, there's no way they should need any work at all and while we say we can't balme the retailers they should in fact be a little more proactive on the issue. After all they are the ones with the market for the goods.

A stern word with the factory or wholesale supplier stating that if such product continues to be supplied faulty they will discontinue selling it would actually work wonders. And as customers if we continue to accept what is in fact sub-standard goods the retailers will not be forced to take any action.

I know this sounds contradictory to what I said earlier but thinking about it there's no way I should have had to fix a faulty product.

• Advertisement

I agree, there's no way they should need any work at all and while we say we can't balme the retailers they should in fact be a little more proactive on the issue. After all they are the ones with the market for the goods.

A stern word with the factory or wholesale supplier stating that if such product continues to be supplied faulty they will discontinue selling it would actually work wonders. And as customers if we continue to accept what is in fact sub-standard goods the retailers will not be forced to take any action.

I know this sounds contradictory to what I said earlier but thinking about it there's no way I should have had to fix a faulty product.

I think you're on the ball there tactical especially with well documented cases like this where there's a proven track record of the item(in this case kjw replacement mags) giving numerous problems. Any aeg or gbb can give trouble, they're mechanical it's in their nature but retailers should seriously consider taking issue with their suppliers before having an item that's obviously not up to scratch on their stock. An issue for another thread in another forum i'd imagine:P

We'll keep the thread for helping each other to keep our P226's up and running :D

We'll keep the thread for helping each other to keep our P226's up and running :D

I think i've actually damaged my trigger finger with amount of bb's i've shot off with both of em today, driving the dogs mad lol. The kjw is firing like a dream!!

Went through a rather obscene amount of BB's myself this morning.

Advertisement