Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids flashed at

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I cannot help thinking had you said it was a man in a raincoat that flashed at two 4 year olds the pitchforks and nooses would be out as the 'peadophile' screaming mob went for a lynching.

I was going to put EXACTLY the same thing almost word for word.

+100000000000000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Still nothing back from the gardai, I tried calling but they said that Id need to speak to the guard that I made the statement to, somehow I get the feeling that its gone into the back of a very dusty filing cabinet marked ''not important''.
    I never posted this subject in after hours.....I normally go to AH for a chuckle and someone exposing her genitalia to my kids is not chuckleworthy. I remember when we were kids that if there was inclidents of flashing in & around schools that notes would be sent home to parents, of course these were normally males flashing. I think that this is being shrugged off as its a female flasher??I could be wrong of course. I dont think that its even a case that the driver allowed unrestrained passengers to indencently expose themselves to minors but also if they had of done this whilst moving they could have caused a serious accident, imagine an elderly person was driving alongside them & the fright they could get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭buckrodgers

Whats worse is that madam will probably have kids herself someday. Surely the report to the gaurds should be on their system for any gaurd to look up. Can the gaurd you reported it to not ring you back. Very bad form if he doesnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Whats worse is that madam will probably have kids herself someday.
    It was a prank that went to far. Made all made mistakes in our youth.

OP, if you feel the local gardai are taking you seriously, you could contact the Garda Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault Investigations Unit, Harcourt Square, Dublin 2. 01 666 6666. Although this would be at the lower end of the scale of what they deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Due to the double standards/positive discrimination in this country, I'd say the guard would have taken it more seriously if a guy was flashing your kids, but as it was a woman, she may just get a warning for something along the lines of jay walking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Victor wrote: »
    all made mistakes in our youth.

This is true also.

I once mooned a police car. By mistake! True story. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

When you make a statement to the guards like that - they are three outcomes, note it in their log, they can give someone a warning/caution or bring them to court.

find out when the guard is on next, the police work strange shifts, make it completely clear to them you are willing to bring it to court. If you don't get a satisfactory response of the guard, ask to speak to a sergeant & do the same.

this was indecent exposure to two minors - i would presume it will also have consequence for people involved if convicted in the future.

Victor wrote: »
    It was a prank that went to far. Made all made mistakes in our youth.

OP, if you feel the local gardai are taking you seriously, you could contact the Garda Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault Investigations Unit, Harcourt Square, Dublin 2. 01 666 6666. Although this would be at the lower end of the scale of what they deal with.

Victor, as the ''lady'' in question was approx 30+ years old I think she should be past childish pranks. Not to mention there were also 2 adult males in the front of the car. And pulling a mooner is fine with me but theres a difference between a night time drunken moon towards another adult...... its entirely different at 4pm towards a 3 year old & 4 year old.

Have rang the garda station twice this week, judging by the muffled sniggers on the other end of the phone this occurence was probably a lunch time giggle. Im going to call again on Monday & if I dont get a result I would like to go higher although giving the garda something to talk isnt what Im after. All Id like is something, even if they were to lie to me at least they are making the effort of making up such lie!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Alice1

Maddison,
    Please do follow this up - it was entirely unacceptable. Indecent exposure to adults is serious enough - but to two small children it is truly disgusting.

I would suggest putting your complaint in writing - so you have a record.

Please let us know how you get on. I'd hate that to happen to my children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

well i would consider it "indecent exposure" - personally i dont think the kids are going to be damaged by it but i would be annoyed at the woman who did it - there is a bit of double standards creeping in, if it was a 60yo man would you have the same attitude? if there is a complaint the guards should pursue it and at the very least give her a tongue lashing.

this brings to mind the time i was on a school bus down the country , guard arranged to board the bus to catch a flasher "in the act" - he had been in the habit of exposing his bottom half below a stable door (you know the half and half ones) to the passing girls down the back of the bus each morning :-)

i dunno what happened afterwards - i was about 12 at the time, its funny looking back now !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

Maddison wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just wanted to see what your thoughts were on this.
    I was driving along a main north dublin street with my 4 year old & his cousin of the same age. We came to a stop at the traffic lights(this is at 4pm today)when out of the corner of my eye I noticed that the car that was pulled up right next to us had a female of about thirty with her a*se out the window, no pants on spreading herself so basically was showing EVERYTHING. Considering she was a backseat passenger she was in the direct vision of the kids. I was horrified & rolled down my window & shouted at them that there were kids in my car & could see everything. The two males in the front had their windows rolled down so definately heard me but ignored what I was saying & were laughing away. I had to tell the kids look straight ahead to to distract them.I mean im in nooooo way a prude but i was horrified cause she was in effect flashing her f*anny at two 4 year olds.SICK!I went to the garda station on my way home I was so disgusted & gave the reg of the car etc....Any one think anything will be done??

All i can say is the Police in this country are rubbish, keep on top of it, demand to know what has been done about it and if they are putting you off and not taking your calls demand to speek to the superintendant of the station, if you get no where with that then tell them you will be reporting it to the news papers along with their names:mad: That kind of behaviour is discraceful and if i had been there at the time i would have lit a cigg and thrown it at her arse. but thats just me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

I don't mean to start any kind of flame war but I cant understand peoples attitudes here.

What is so damaging to children to see a naked person? If they are 3 or 4 they're too innocent to know any different and even if they noticed it they would either laugh or look puzzled and forget about it 10 mins later. Hardly damaging.

If I was driving I'd probably just roll my eyes at the skangerness of it and drive on.

You need to separate a state of being (naked) and a behaviour (flashing). Flashing is deliberately provocative and is intended to insult and offend.

Just like there is a difference between urinating in a toilet and urinating in someone's post box.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If this had happened to me (and I do have kids) I think Id probably have tried not to let any shock/disgust or even giggles register with the kids. Id have made it a non-event out of it, because I wouldnt want to have such things freak them out. Its just nudity and stupidity. Nupidity.:) Theyll see worse, Im sure. Our job as parents is to make them sturdy enough not to be bothered by it, imo. I know if it was a man flashing his tackle, it does seem to provoke a stronger reaction, but in my case while it might prompt a 'stay safe' conversation, Id still play it down.

As for the gardai, Ive had them treat shoplifting and a minor assault as something not worth their while investigating ('go file an insurance claim') so Id say this is not high on the agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Elessar wrote: »
    What is so damaging to children to see a naked person?

Nothing. As victor said, there's a difference between nakedness and flashing.

Hello all,

As soon as I logged on to Boards I saw my post right up the top so I thought Id ring the station again. I got a garda that was quite annoyed that no one called me back (Possibly the sargeant??) So he said he'd look into it & call me back straight away.....which he did!!He gave me the working hours of duty of the garda that took the statement, told me that my complaint has been entered into Pace & Said that once it goes on the computer it is being dealt with. I'll be ringing Monday night so!!
    I wouldnt mind I got a parking fine on Sunday for slightly parking on the footpath at the Botanics, I bet that fine will be out quicker than I get a result from a complaint I made 3 weeks ago!!:rolleyes:

There is a world of difference between nudity in a safe environment with people who care about a child - and forced indecent exposure from a stranger.

Good for you Maddison - delighted that you are following this up.

I'm a bit puzzled by Oryx's wish to teach her children that such behaviour is not something to be bothered about. I consider it vital that children are aware of what is acceptable and what is unacceptable. To do otherwise makes them such easy prey.

Alice1 wrote: »
    I'm a bit puzzled by Oryx's wish to teach her children that such behaviour is not something to be bothered about. I consider it vital that children are aware of what is acceptable and what is unacceptable. To do otherwise makes them such easy prey.
    I think I understand what she is saying. It is one thing to dislike or disaprove or be disgusted by an inappropriate behaviour - it is another thing to be paniced by it.

Bullies and abusers feed off fear. If you aren't paniced or in fear, but engage in a safe response (leaving the location and reporting it to a responsible adult), then it is a win-win. Child not harmed and abuser punished. If a parent or other adult's reaction is to panic or make a further scene then children can pick up the wrong signals.

Isn't there a joke about a man who flashes two women and they laugh at him because its cold and his penis has shrivelled up.

I quite see your point Victor. It is true that some abusers use a victim's fear as a weapon against that victim.

However, it is equally true that some abusers (particularly child abusers) use a victim's innocence or ignorance as a weapon against the child. If a child does not know that the behaviour is inappropriate how can she / he remove him/herself to a safe location?

• Advertisement

Thats why Oryx was suggesting a stay safe conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lor1

That's sick, some people don't know when to grow up. good thing the 2 kids didn't see what was going on - it could have led to some really awkward questions.

Hope all goes well with the guards - though I wouldn't count on an outcome.

Outcome is(I know months later)the lady(and I use that word very loosely)was contacted by the gardai & apologised, she said that she had a few drinks and took a joke a bit to far(it was a weekday afternoon).She said she understood how angry I was(where were her kids I wonder while shes off getting sloshed in the afternoon?!!)bla di bla. So an apology was what I got.....better that a kick in the bum I suppose,even if it was the garda just saying it so he could mark me off the things to do list!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

What effect is this going to have on these kids?

None.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Too bad you didnt have your digicam to record it and the plate number and put it on you tube.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Outcome is(I know months later)the lady(and I use that word very loosely)was contacted by the gardai & apologised, she said that she had a few drinks and took a joke a bit to far(it was a weekday afternoon).She said she understood how angry I was(where were her kids I wonder while shes off getting sloshed in the afternoon?!!)bla di bla. So an apology was what I got.....better that a kick in the bum I suppose,even if it was the garda just saying it so he could mark me off the things to do list!!:D

Fair play for pursuing it and letting us know.

What effect is this going to have on these kids?

None.

I'd hate to live in your society.

Maddison
    Hopefully she won't do it again.

I second everything Mr. Magnolia said.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

Good job, Maddison. Well done on keeping up the pressure for an outcome.

LK.

Advertisement