Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Southern fried rock"

Options
  • 09-07-2008 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone who has a radio might notice Kid Rock's new single is getting a fair bit of airplay. It seems to be an ode to that style of music which I've seen described as "Southern fried rock" - sampling Warren Zevon's Werewolves of London and mixing in bits of Lynyrd Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama. I'm talking about that soulful, swampy, bluesy, quite sexually charged... er... heroin music really, featuring lazy guitars, tinkling pianos and divine gospel choirs. It's pretty wonderful stuff. Totally influenced by black music but mostly, it seems, churned out by white boys. Exponents include the above; the Stones, Zeppelin and Clapton did it, Primal Scream had a go, and my favourite of all: The Black Crowes. Check out their awesome single Remedy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qD72NCJSkk

And yet, even though it's highly evocative of the Deep South, none of the above artists come from there - with the exception of The Black Crowes (Georgia). So what other acts fit into that category? It's pretty durty music and makes me go all wobbly-kneed for the lead singers I have to say...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Huge fan of Zeppelin et al, not too mad on the new Kid Rock song though...

Dudess, you might be interested in this album if you don't know it already:
    Jimmy Page and The Black Crowes - Live at The Greek
    Mostly Zeppelin stuff, plus a few other covers from the original Fleetwood Mac and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Another band worth mentioning is the Allman Brothers band who like Skynyrd are from Florida and are excellent "fried music".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Sorry yeah, Skynyrd are from the Deep South, not just the Black Crowes.

I agree, that Kid Rock song is pretty bad but I like the two choons he uses.

Oh yeah, early Fleetwood Mac kinda fits that blueprint too.

The Jimmy Paige/Black Crowes live album sounds wonderful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Southern rock (cue tiresome The South will Rise Agin!!!!!!!!!!!!) is pretty poor except for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and Blackfoot up till 1983.

Mike.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Dang man I had tickets to see Jimmy Page perform with the Black Crowes in Ireland aaaaages ago.
    The gig was cancelled but I still have the ticket. They did some incredible live stuff.
    Anyone else rememeber that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Southern fried rock for me is credence!

Not too keen on Lynard et al

Lynard had that kickass three lead guitar combo. Made for some incredible live footage all the same.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,313 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

damonjewel wrote: »
    Southern fried rock for me is credence!

Absolutely, Creedence are your only men if you're talking about swamp rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Dudess wrote: »
    Exponents include the above; the Stones, Zeppelin and Clapton did it, Primal Scream had a go, and my favourite of all: The Black Crowes. Check out their awesome single Remedy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qD72NCJSkk

Although I often found The Black Crowes a bit hit and miss - when they hit - feck me!!! - all that Southern Fried magic goodness - take me home mama! :D.

The Southern Fried Primal Scream "Give out but don't give up" was produced by George Drakoulias - who also produced... wait for it... The BCs - "Shake your Money Maker". Although by far my favourate - I don't think it rated too highly for more hardcore Scream fans :(

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Firstly - it makes me awful sad that only now - a few years after his death - that Warren Zevon is only getting some sort of 'mainstream' airplay. I'm sure the royalties accruing to his estate from Kid Rock is easily outshining the money from his record sales of the previous, er, 30 years.

Dudess - have you checked out the parent album from whence Werewolves comes? It's called Exciteable Boy and honest to God, if you buy it and don't like it, let me know, and i'll send you a tenner!

S'funny yez mention clapton - cos it was't really 'him' that did the southern swamp rock gumbo schtick as much as the 'Derek & the Dominos' incarnation which was recorded with Duane Allman as his sideman. In fact, the legend goes that it's Duane Allman who plays *that* riff on Layla, and not our Eric.

To add to the mix - The Faces weren't a million miles from doing that kind of music either. Of course, you had Ian McLagan as the keyboard player who did stints with The Stones, and of course Ronnie Wood in there as well, and listen to a song like 'Cindy Incidentally' and you can hear all the pieces fall into place. If memory serves, Call on Me, from 'Give out but don't give up' by 'ver Scream is almost a retread of 'Cindy'. (of course, if you look at the credits to GOBDGU - it's a who's who of southern gennelmen...Tom Dowd, George Clinton and the Memphis Horns)

Meanwhile, The Faces were from, um, South London as well...

dazberry wrote: »
    Although by far my favourate - I don't think it rated too highly for more hardcore Scream fans :(

D.

It was the best Rolling Stones album of 1994. And considering The Stones actually released one that year, it must have been a right kick in the underclackers.

Oh - and if we're counting Tom Petty in this mix (i dunno, are we...) Bentmont Tench from the Heartbreakers played on this album too.

it's fookin' incestuous, that's what it is...

dazberry wrote: »
    Although by far my favourate - I don't think it rated too highly for more hardcore Scream fans :(
    It didn't - this hardcore Scream fan being an exception though.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Creedence. A guy played me one of their albums last year and I thought it was magical but forgot about them then... Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Hollywood Town Hall by the Jayhawks is in my opinion, the best of the Southern Fried Rock music. Really consistent, great harmonies and lovely guitar. Couldn't recommend it enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Ah yes Creedence...
    I remember when I rediscovered them - I hadn't listened in years, and then I was playing GTA San Andreas and 'Green River' came on in the game. I had to stop and go get a few albums

Also, J.J. Cale should be thrown into the mix here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Black Oak Arkansas probably deserve a mention here too:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=bPsaGPzCHkQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Credence are the bollix but Molly Hatchet are good fun as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

effing brilliant, reminded me of another southern fried act, ZZ Top, here's La Grange/Tush before their super commercial album Eliminator

This thread really should be next door in the Rock (+ Metal) Forum :pac:

Or the soon to be set up (if dr. bollocko has his way) Classic Rock forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

damonjewel wrote: »
    effing brilliant, reminded me of another southern fried act, ZZ Top, here's La Grange/Tush before their super commercial album Eliminator

This thread really should be next door in the Rock (+ Metal) Forum :pac:

If ever a band were ruined by MTV it was the Tops<shakes head>
    Dudess wrote: »
    Or the soon to be set up (if dr. bollocko has his way) Classic Rock forum.

Its not a classic rock forum he wants anymore btw - Now its DadRock dontchknow

• Advertisement

Ah jaysus Im just lookin for a classification everyone can agree on goddammit.
    What was the 2nd name of that tom guy who sang with the heartbreakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

classic rock forum ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Petty. But you knew that, right, and were being flippant?

Petty. But you knew that, right, and were being flippant?

Name: Bollocko
    Number: 4 (as in Led zeppelin 4)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭'Ol Jack Chance

Skynyrd have a deadly album from the 70's one more from the road classic example of what dudess is talkin bout. not a fan of kid rock song for the record!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I'm a big fan of this type of music and I have to say I like the Kid Rock song (although it took a while!). The album it comes from, Rock 'n' Roll Jesus, is getting a bit of airplay in my house at the moment too, plenty of southern rock influences on it and worthy of your attention.

The kings, though, are/were Skynyrd. I saw them blow the roof off the Point (and, I have to admit, Deep Purple pretty much off the stage) a few years ago, one of the best live bands I've ever seen. On their last album, Vicious Cycle, Kid Rock actually joined them for a remixed Gimmie Back My Bullets, so he can't be all bad!

If you like Creedence, check out John Fogerty's solo stuff too, very swampy!

I had a listen to a John Fogerty album last year - it was quality.

The Kid Rock single - the sung part is awfully bland and unimaginative but the music gets pretty good at the end as all those great instruments crescendo and the gorgeous sound of a gospel choir kicks in...

Should retitle this thread "Choons that should be in the soundtrack to a swamp thing movie." I think that's probably the highest honour an artist can acheive. Well. If they happen to live in a swamp anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement