Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upc/ntl/chorus anyone else having problems downloading

Options
  • 09-07-2008 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

i noticed that in the upgrade super thread some posts were asking about connections probs and timeouts. i'm in limerick city and i'm experiencing, timeouts, connections resetting, can't connect to soulseek, dc++ is a disaster, have ports forwarded but that doesn't help, its very frustrating, anyone else using any of these progs and suceeding, i'd be interested to know of any tweaks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

expatoz wrote: »
    i noticed that in the upgrade super thread some posts were asking about connections probs and timeouts. i'm in limerick city and i'm experiencing, timeouts, connections resetting, can't connect to soulseek, dc++ is a disaster, have ports forwarded but that doesn't help, its very frustrating, anyone else using any of these progs and suceeding, i'd be interested to know of any tweaks

Can't connect to Soulseek or eMule. Everything else seems okay though.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭expatoz

don't use emule but have given up on soulseek, tech support are usless, they must have soulseek, emule and dc++ blocked

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

don't use emule but have given up on soulseek, tech support are usless, they must have soulseek, emule and dc++ blocked

Tech support are just providing the support their contracted to, its pointless if you have issues with P2P ringing tech as they don't support them and are not going to assist you in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I lost all internet last night and the cause was a windows update which affected zone alarm. I had to shut down zone alarm and then go to their site for a fix here http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/pressReleases/2008/LossOfInternetAccessIssue.html

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭expatoz

it goes beyond p2p, sometimes pages take forever to load, worse than dial up on a supposed 20mb line. my problem is i'm paying for a service and i'm not getting it. support continually promise to look into the problem of disconnections and timeouts and ring back and fail to do so. is that what they're are trained to do? and does that somehow make it all right?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

How come everybody bases speedtests as accurate on websites like speedtest.net

To truly get your accurate speeds you should be downloading a file from a decent source to begin with.

Try downloading this file for a few mins and then see what your speed is.

This is mine, I am on the 10mb package with UPC

downloadspeed.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 13

i just stumbled across here lookin for some info on gettin soulseek to work properly with ntl. they definitely reset connections on p2p traffic, i used wireshark to capture packets and the [RST] tag sticks out like a sore thumb. i got a hold of 'your freedom' and 'proxcap' and setup a rule for soulseek, forwarded my ports etc and it connected no problem... i was disconnected shortly after though and havent been able to get online with it since.. which brings me here ;) if anyone managed to go one step further id love to know..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Getting 2.02 mb here in Tallaght

Aquos76 wrote: »

Try downloading this file for a few mins and then see what your speed is.

This is mine, I am on the 10mb package with UPC

downloadspeed.jpg

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 13

swwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. i just cracked this one lads :)

01 get yourself 'your freedom' and 'openvpn'
    02 install both..
    03 enable openvpn option in 'your freedom' and make sure the port listed there has been forwarded in your router.
    04 you should have a new local area connection in your network connections folder.. goto properties and add 81.169.100.186 as the first dns server.. leave everything else as default. (enable the connection if needed)
    05 run 'your freedom' and search for a server to connect to..
    07 check 'your freedom' messages window, you should see something along the lines of..

0: OpenVPN: Sun Aug 10 21:06:32 2008 us=911148 Route addition via IPAPI succeeded
    1: OpenVPN ready, you are online
    0: OpenVPN: Sun Aug 10 21:06:32 2008 us=911179 Initialization Sequence Completed

the openvpn connection should now be routed properly to your base connection.

06 you can now connect to all p2p apps etc!!

im f*&kin thrilled.. spent the last few hours muckin with this.

god speed :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kalias

Hi....have few questions:

1. how to enable openvpn in your freedom and how to make sure that port was forwarded to router
    2. how to search in your freedom for server....

thx

13 wrote: »
    swwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. i just cracked this one lads :)

01 get yourself 'your freedom' and 'openvpn'
    02 install both..
    03 enable openvpn option in 'your freedom' and make sure the port listed there has been forwarded in your router.
    04 you should have a new local area connection in your network connections folder.. goto properties and add 81.169.100.186 as the first dns server.. leave everything else as default. (enable the connection if needed)
    05 run 'your freedom' and search for a server to connect to..
    07 check 'your freedom' messages window, you should see something along the lines of..

0: OpenVPN: Sun Aug 10 21:06:32 2008 us=911148 Route addition via IPAPI succeeded
    1: OpenVPN ready, you are online
    0: OpenVPN: Sun Aug 10 21:06:32 2008 us=911179 Initialization Sequence Completed

the openvpn connection should now be routed properly to your base connection.

06 you can now connect to all p2p apps etc!!

im f*&kin thrilled.. spent the last few hours muckin with this.

god speed :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

it goes beyond p2p, sometimes pages take forever to load, worse than dial up on a supposed 20mb line. my problem is i'm paying for a service and i'm not getting it. support continually promise to look into the problem of disconnections and timeouts and ring back and fail to do so. is that what they're are trained to do? and does that somehow make it all right?

well you started this thread with an issue for p2p problems so your main problem as you stated is p2p not a poor support issue.

Cabaal is right you cant expect any ISP tech support department to help with a p2p issue, it'd be like asking someone in currys how to get their marked price down, something you can do but not something they will shoot themselves in the foot to help you with.

Have you tried any checks yourself? Have you removed your wireless router if your using one? tried a diff computer? ran any ping tests once your connection drops off and while its ok? if you call their tech support and advise of the exact time and date of your last drop in connection and they can ref what your modems uptime is. On consideration that all your db levels are ok they they can help narrow the problem for you. If your modems uptime is longer that your last drop off time them the issue is after your modem i.e router, pc or software but be aware that anything after the modem isn't something they'll help you with as its your own equipment.

Hope it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dogg

Cabaal wrote: »
    Tech support are just providing the support their contracted to, its pointless if you have issues with P2P ringing tech as they don't support them and are not going to assist you in anyway.

They are supporting internet connections and p2p is an internet connection like any other. You can download ie. openbsd distributions using p2p - not only illegal stuff. They are not stating in T&C about blocking any type of traffic so blocking any ports/protocols by UPC is illegal!

I am sorry but your incorrect there, they do state on their T&C's that they don't support p2p and even their PC support service wont. Below is an exact copy of their terms and conditions from their website....

url: http://www.upc.ie/service/?cid=123&aid=84

Premium PC Support
    Our Premium PC Support is a new support service designed to help customers resolve computer problems that are not directly related to our broadband service....

Unfortunately we can’t help with:
    Linux or other non-Windows operating system queries.
    Virtual Private Networks.
    Non-cable (e.g. ADSL) broadband queries.
    Cisco/business routers.
    Beta software.
    Peer-to-peer software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dogg

hightower1 wrote: »
    I am sorry but your incorrect there, they do state on their T&C's that they don't support p2p and even their PC support service wont. Below is an exact copy of their terms and conditions from their website....

url: http://www.upc.ie/service/?cid=123&aid=84

Premium PC Support
    Our Premium PC Support is a new support service designed to help customers resolve computer problems that are not directly related to our broadband service....

Unfortunately we can’t help with:
    Linux or other non-Windows operating system queries.
    Virtual Private Networks.
    Non-cable (e.g. ADSL) broadband queries.
    Cisco/business routers.
    Beta software.
    Peer-to-peer software.

I am sorry but you are wrong. You're just showing that their Premium support is not dealing with p2p software. This is not their services T&C and this is not about p2p internet traffic which is illegally block! You won't find information that they are blocking any traffic/ports in their T&C which are HERE: http://www.upc.ie/termsandconditions/

And if you actually read their downloadable T&C's from their site it states they are entitled shape your traffic in any way they please for their own reasons...

INTERNET SERVICES TERMS AND CONDITIONS
    23. Internet Services
    23.1 We reserve the right to monitor and control data volume and/or types of traffic
    transmitted via the Internet Services as well as monitoring the Services for abuse or
    breach under the Agreement or User Policy. We reserve the right to restrict access to
    the Services and to impose data traffic restrictions at our discretion, in order to
    implement new facilities, allow data retrieval and maintain Service levels. You expressly
    accept that any such actions on our part may affect the quality and availability of the
    Internet Services.

Advertisement