Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house with dogs

Options
  • 09-07-2008 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭

We are moving house this months and I'd appreciate any tips for helping to settle the dogs. We've arranged ourselves to have 6 days between getting keys and leaving our current house.

I know the dogs will be fine while we are with them, but they may be frightened when we go out and leave them in the new house. And there are a number of things we'll need to do once we move. Even just going back to the old house to give it a clean out, and return the hire van will take at least 4 hours.

They are used to having access to the kitchen and garden at night and when we are out. But I don't plan on letting them out alone in the garden until we are sure they can't squeeze through the fence somewhere. Or until we know if any new neighbours have dogs.

They were crate trained when they were younger, and we crate them at night if we travel with them. So I was thinking it might be best to walk them and then crate them while we are out for the first few days.

I wish they could understand me when I explain to them that we are moving.:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Amimad

You seem to have answered your own question.
    if you're worried about their reaction if left to have free range in the new house unsupervised & they they are comfortable in their crate than by all means for your peace of mind & their safety 'crate them'.

Alternatively, can you visit the house before hand witt he dog s & give them their introduction to the new space?

Or Kennel them the mornin of the move & when you've moved everything you can pick them up, maybe the next day? Or can they spend a bit of tiem with someone their fond of? This keeps them out from under your feet during the move & you know that they're happy.Just an idea you may not have thought off
    Good luck with the move,
    Ami

Advertisement