Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Url redirection?

Options
  • 09-07-2008 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A sort of simple question really but I am very new to web design so I am unsure and don't want to end up with hassle so any help would be appreciated!

Essentially I have developed a personal homepage for myself which just has some photos, a blog and so on. However, it is at a long address, http://name.something.com/something. I have seen through Google searches that you can get free url redirection through websites such as co.nr whereby the address would be www.name.co.nr and would then redirect to my homepage.

My question is really, how dodgy are such free services? I don't want to end up with spam or anything like that so is there any such service that anyone here would recommend?

Are there any other courses of action which might be recommended?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

In my experiences with hosting providers and domain name providers you get what you pay for. I've used .co.nr before and they are quite good as long as your follow their simple rules.

Your best option would probably be to buy your own domain, though. It leaves you with a lot more options and more often that not you will end up with a neat and more professional looking site as you won't have to display banners or links.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I agree with Smartly Dressed - get your own domain and hosting.

You can copy all the content from the old site to this new one and replace the contents on the old site with links to the new site. Look at the meta refresh tag.
    Even better would be if the admins of the old site set up a redirection for you (while I doubt that they will do this, there is no harm in asking).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Id' suggest just buying a .com address. They're about 12 quid a year and will handle the redirect for you. Someone like joker.com would do they trick.

Or, if you're actually going to get into web design, splashing out on your own hosting account with someone won't set you back more than 40-50 quid for a year and will give you great experience.

Advertisement