Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will NTL broadcast HD Channels

• 09-07-2008 8:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about ntl broadcasting some channels in hd?I did a google search and couldn't find out much and was just wondering if any of you knowledgeable people know anything?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭u2livecd

when hell freezes over

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

^^ Exactly ;) but do I hope they get their act together soon and start with interactive services and HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

if they just get the interactive i'll be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

u2livecd wrote: »
    when hell freezes over

Ah lovely thanks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Infoanon

2009 - interview with the UPC boss in Irish Times a few weeks ago.

Though I should also add he stated that UPC HD would be a better picture quality than SKY - Something which SKY have rightly slated him for - so 2009 may also be an 'exaggeration'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Ian Beale wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about ntl broadcasting some channels in hd?I did a google search and couldn't find out much and was just wondering if any of you knowledgeable people know anything?

Did you search for NTL or UPC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

How long is a piece of string?

UPC have been promising HD for some time now, I'd suspect it'll happen sometime. Their leaked launch dates tend to be very inaccurate. It'll depend on what content they can get their hands on. I'd say Sky's being rather precious about their HD monopoly at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I think that the biggest challange facing UPC is how do they proctect their content if they issue a new HD set top box.
    They will use the introduction of HD to introduce a new encryption system.
    They only have one shot to get this right, because once the boxes are sent out its a €30 Million investment in hardware that has to be working first time.
    They will have learnt from the fiasco of illegal set top boxes using the current system.

UPC should use Videoguard. It is what Sky uses and that hasn't been cracked yet.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    UPC should use Videoguard. It is what Sky uses and that hasn't been cracked yet.

it has you can buy a box that lets you watch all the channels on sky but its illegal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

dunworth1 wrote: »
    it has you can buy a box that lets you watch all the channels on sky but its illegal

So are the cable ones!

I didn't know Sky had been cracked.

dunworth1 wrote: »

When was Sky Digital hacked?

i dont know when but if you go onto sites like ebay you can find boxs that allow you to receive all the sky channels but it is illegal to do it.

Sky Digital has not been hacked.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Wouldnt they only be only be able to provide Hi-def to cable customers anyway? In terms of bandwidth.. customers with a receiver aerial wouldnt be able to get Hi Def because it would be too large a bandwidth for the existing hardware?
    Or am I totally wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Pretty much wrong!!! http://www.upc.ie/television/digitalplushd/

No sky movies/sports HD however. BSkyB wont allow competitiors them channells in HD yet...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

big syke wrote: »
    Pretty much wrong!!! http://www.upc.ie/television/digitalplushd/

No sky movies/sports HD however. BSkyB wont allow competitiors them channells in HD yet...

Maybe use this thread, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055602816 instead of dragging up a thread from last year...:rolleyes:

Another thread to be merged, methinks...

Advertisement