Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK Car Export Docs/Docs for Irish Tax Office

Options
  • 09-07-2008 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Sorry just a quick question. I'm buying a car in the UK and want to know what documents the Irish Tax office will need from me to register the car in ireland.
    Do I only need the V5 document or do I need a V561 document. Is there anything else I need?

Thanks....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The seller completes the Export section of the V5 and sends it to the uk DVLA. This lets them know that the car is being exported. You take the rest of the V5 and bring it home and into the VRO to pay the VRT. Simple :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Smiegel

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

listermint wrote: »
    The seller completes the Export section of the V5 and sends it to the uk DVLA. This lets them know that the car is being exported. You take the rest of the V5 and bring it home and into the VRO to pay the VRT. Simple :D

Sorry, no he doesnt. Get the whole V5 from the seller and present it to the VRT office here. They check the VIN numbers, take the VRT payment and the V5, and give you an irish reg number.

The VRT office sends the V5 back to the UK to show it is exported.

I have done it with 3 motorbikes and then again 3 weeks ago with a van I brought in from the UK. The van being commercial had a VRT flat fee of €50.

Then when you tax the car with the form the VRT office gives you, you will get your new irish log book in the post a few days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Sorry, no he doesnt. Get the whole V5 from the seller and present it to the VRT office here. They check the VIN numbers, take the VRT payment and the V5, and give you an irish reg number.

I have done it with 3 motorbikes and then again 3 weeks ago with a van I brought in from the UK. The van being commercial had a VRT flat fee of €50.

Then when you tax the car with the form the VRT office gives you, you will get your new irish log book in the post a few days later.

Well he should, the VRT office here only need sections 1 to 8 of the V5 doc. The bit to complete for export is number 10 I think. The seller doesn't HAVE to complete it, but he should really or he may get an automated fixed fine for the tax being out of date as it won't be renewed by the new Irish owner. VRT office may well send the V5 back to the UK but the seller shouldn't rely on that. Doesn't make any difference to the buyer if the export section is completed or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sorry er no your wrong! It can be done either way. The seller can can complete the for export form first as piece of mind that it is being exported and give you the rest OR they can give you the whole thing and you can get it completed here by the VRO. EITHER way is acceptable my friend.

It depends on what the seller wishes to do. It will not affect you getting your vehicle registered here, it only effects the DVLA's system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

superscouse, would you sell a car or bike here and hand over the reg cert? No, you wouldn't. The export section is the only protection the seller in the UK has, so to demand/expect that the entire form is handed over to you is very unreasonable. Just because you did it a few times does not mean it is the proper thing to do.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Smiegel

so the answer is get the whole V5 or the V5 without the export bit ... gotcha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

esel wrote: »
    superscouse, would you sell a car or bike here and hand over the reg cert? No, you wouldn't. The export section is the only protection the seller in the UK has, so to demand/expect that the entire form is handed over to you is very unreasonable. Just because you did it a few times does not mean it is the proper thing to do.

Good point.

However, on one bike, I had to get a certificate of export faxed from swansea, so after that, I just explained I was from dublin and the seller gave me the whole thing. I signed a receipt which was dated and timed so if anything did come back to the seller, they were sorted.

I was buying most of these off EBAY so my feedback of 100% and history probably gave the sellers some reassurance.

Advertisement