Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evening Courses

• 09-07-2008 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi Folks, I am just looking for a bit of advice, Am currently working full-time in the manufacturing sector but am thinking of changing jobs totally, I was looking at trying to do an evening accounting course with a view to becoming an accounting technician in a couple of years, There seems to be 2 bodies offering night time courses in my area, ACCA and IATI, Any advice as to which one is better? The ACCA course is much more expensive Approx 1800 euro in comparison to the IATI which is about 400, From what I can see the IATI course seems to be more focused on the accounting techncian side of things while the ACCA might be more useful if you were to go on and become a full accountant, All advice gratefully accepted!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭shewasoctober

Do you have a college degree, or do you qualify as a mature student? If so, I wouldn't advise the technician course, especially if you want to be an accountant. I would start by taking the courses for the first set of exams. Eventually, you will need to complete 3 years of training to be a chartered accountant. If you just want to be an accounting technician, then go for it, but the job and salary outlook is better for a chartered accountant.

Either way, the IATI is part of the ICAI, and there have been many discussions about which is better, the ACCA or ICAI (ACA). They are both very good qualifications. The ICAI seems to be the favourite in Ireland. However, both or recognised in Ireland and internationally, and both will give you your qualification. It comes down to which on you prefer.

Note: The ICAI course is offered through them and on the weekends, while the IATI and ACCA are at colleges, usually evenings and/or weekends.

Good luck. Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

If you are not too sure IATI is way to go
    It will give you idea if you want to persue accountancy or not
    But either way its a recongnisable qualification

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

I'm a qualified Acc. Tech with IATI.

I'm now a 3rd year CPA student, but i'm sorry I didn't just go straight into CPA as the exemptions weren't great.

If you plan on stopping at the Acc. Technician stage I would recommend IATI, it gives a good insight into Financial Accounting particularly.

If you plan on going further just do an accountancy course from the start.

I would echo the previous post. I have taught IATI, and it is a damn decent course. However, if your long term plan is to get into practise, just go straight into ACCA/ACA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭themoney

Be sure to have a look at the sort of work you will be going into if you become Acc Tech. Also check if your current job will qualify for the two experience required to be a Certified Acc Tech, very broad definition of what qualifies as experience.

Really money is the issue as you will be going in on the low end of the wage range if you go down the accounting route and having no accounting experience.

It might be worth joining a company in an accounting role and getting them to pay for a course. The IATI is at over 1250 a year. Think it cost my some were around 1500 for year one and 2300 for year two (I changed college and did more seminars)

Best of Luck in whatever you decide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭The CCAinsider

Consider doing ACCA, even if you only make it half way at least you get a degree for reaching the end of the Fundamental level so you will have something. If you do make it to the end then you get a really good qualification. Both accounting technician courses are good but at the end of the day all you will end up with is a bookkeeping qualification and if you ended up liking the work you will go on to the full professional qualification. If you don’t like accounting or decide to drop out of study then you might as well drop out of ACCA as CAT

Advertisement