Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Jacking

Options
  • 09-07-2008 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭

Just out of interest.....anyone on here been a victim of a car jacking in Ireland or know anyone who has?

Just putting feelers out for an article I am writing.

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Someone in a red audi was jacked a few months ago if i recall correctly.

Anyways personally I always lock my doors. Never been in that situation thank fook!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Woman in Tallaght was car jacked about 2 years ago. She had kids in the back and refused to allow them go without getting her kids out. Search the rte website for the story or the indo site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

in the space of a week i saw 2 attempted car jackings. one at clare hall shopping centre and one at days hotel in ballymun.

i was right behind the car in clare hall. i saw what was happeing ( it was around 130am friday or saturday) i jammed it into reversed and was beeping to kinda tell the hijackers to Phuck off. anyway the other car saw me reversing and reversed away from the hijackers.

the one in ballytmun was different story

i was turning left to go to santry and the car was coming from there. somone literally pulled at the door (while pretending to cross the road) . it was locked . he then started kicking the door. the woman did not know what to do. i started beeping the horn again. ( i think she was afraid of breaking the lights..... even in a stressful moment like that the lights still act as a barrier to safety)
    long story short he ran off . and the woman sat at the lights i pulled up along side her she just looked at me in shock and drove off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I remember when I was working in a previous garage we had a Bora come back to us to have the locks replaced etc. The car had been jacked and then recovered later.

I reckon it happens more often than you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭positron

Today's local newspaper in Drogheda (Leader?) - main / front page story of a car jack attempt, might be of some interest to OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

There was a guy in Renmore, Galway last year who had his Lancer Evo VIII or IX carjacked. If you troll through the local rags I'm sure you will find something on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

There was a thread in motors a few days ago about car jacking. Apparently it leaves a bad smell.

.....oh sorry, you mean hi-jacking.. sorry.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

yeah yeah yeah it took a few reads to figure out what you were on about.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Remember reading about a woman who was car jacked by 2 eastern europeans 2-3 years ago in some part of Dublin, she luckily escaped and ran to a nearby fire station. The 2 guys were arrested, don't know what kind of sentence they got, but she was one lucky woman.

edited to add following,

Latvian men remanded on car hijack charges

Two Latvian men appeared in court today charged in connection with the hijacking of a woman’s car in Dublin.

The 38-year-old woman was stopped at the traffic lights on the East Wall Road last night when the incident occurred, but she managed to escape and flee to a nearby fire station.

Sergeant Stephen O’Keefe told Dublin District Court that Vafilijf Lapefkinf, 26, with an address at Milton Apartments, Dublin Road, Swords, and Juris Krasoufkif, 27, with an address at Pheasant Run, Clonee, were charged at 1.33pm today. They made no reply after caution.

The men are charged with handling a stolen car under Section 17 of the Theft and Fraud Offences Act.

They appeared in court dressed in navy and black fleece tops, black tracksuit bottoms and white runners.

The proceedings were translated for them by a Russian interpreter.

The court heard that both men would be applying for bail but that the address of one of them had to be checked in advance of the next court date.

Judge Hugh O’Donnell remanded the two men in custody to appear at Cloverhill District Court on January 24 at 10.30am.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/archives/2006/0117/ireland/cweyaukfmhgb/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

That example given by Don Jose ^^^ is the only example I've ever heard of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

keefg wrote: »
    Just out of interest.....anyone on here been a victim of a car jacking

This is like the thread a while ago about leaving your keys upstairs or downstairs, everyone knew, or heard of someone who was confronted by someone with a knife, kettle of boiling water threatening to kill their kids for the car keys!

I got a tip from driving in South Africa. Always leave lots and lots or room in front of you in traffic. Gives you room to put the boot down if anyone decides to jack you...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

Martron wrote: »
    in the space of a week i saw 2 attempted car jackings. one at clare hall shopping centre and one at days hotel in ballymun.

!

remind me never to drive near you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

lightening wrote: »
    I got a tip from driving in South Africa. Always leave lots and lots or room in front of you in traffic. Gives you room to put the boot down if anyone decides to jack you...;)

Here is another tip from South Africa:

It's fully legal there, in fact, Jo'burg PD bought the very first one.

But I never heard of anyone jacked here (apart the incidient with two latvian lads). Back in Poland it was rampant for a while though, especially in Warsaw. Driving up to the city, you could see little scumbags looking out for more expensive cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

positron wrote: »
    Today's local newspaper in Drogheda (Leader?) - main / front page story of a car jack attempt, might be of some interest to OP.

Thank you. I will dig that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

It's never happened to me thankfully, but i almost always have the doors locked!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

The doors in my Seat Leon lock automatically - I guess to prevent car-jacking?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

moved to media interaction from motors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

I've had uninvited guests trying to climb in twice over the last 20 years. Both times, stopped at traffic lights, they were defeated by locked doors. Once was someone pretending to cross the road but walking along the line of cars instead of across it, giving the door handle a good tug as he passed by (I reckon he had some mates hiding somewhere who had just abandoned another car was which parked awkardly on the grass verge), he just carried on walking when the door of my apparantly very desirable car didn't open, the other time was a drunken mob in the city centre who wanted to get somewhere and had obvisiously decided to commander the nearest car, they surrounded the car while I was waiting at red light and tugged on all 4 door handles at the same time (which luckily were all locked), this time, being the first car at the lights, I took off....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

peasant wrote: »
    moved to media interaction from motors

I think keefg is an established poster and very much a part of the boards.ie community.

The thread seems to be going along just fine, so I'm going to move it back to the motors forum.

Ha... Learning curve for us all.. yes?

For those who want a better idea of what is going on here, boards.ie has been looking for better ways to interact with the media so this fourm was created. More information in the charter here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055331590

Keefg, perhaps you could let us know where the article is for?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement