Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

US Car with Red Rear Indicators

Options
  • 09-07-2008 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Anybody know if a car that has red indicators will pass nct?? Imported a 98 Mustang and am having much difficulty in sourcing tail lights with amber turn indicators.
    [URL="file://D:\PICS\MUSTANG PICS IRE FOR EMAIL"][/URL]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭groomek

my friends car just failed because the indicator light wasnt as amber as the tester would have liked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jamesag

thanks, yea read that before.. so no exceptions for foreign cars obviously..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

http://www.importmyvehicle.com/default.htm

These guys in the UK convert US imports which includes replacing rear light clusters.

They might be able to help you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I've often seen Lincoln limos with a small amber light fitted to the boot lid or bumper. Simple re-wiring job I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Can you not get away with putting amber bulbs in them, or is that still too red?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Can you not get away with putting amber bulbs in them, or is that still too red?

I've heard before that some people fit amber bulbs to the reverse lights and re-wire the indicators to them. They then fit one of those screw on reverse lights onto the bottom of the bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

It'll definitely fail.
    My Celica failed as a result. If the plastic cover for the rear lights are red, then no matter what color bulb you put in it won't resolve the problem (as in my case). The bulbs in mine were just plain bulbs with no colouring, except the plastic was red. I had to switch the lights with another Celica to get it through.
    It'll only be a visual fail though, so you can just pop back in within 2 weeks (I think) of the failure and they'll briefly test it and let you go.

They test it so briefly that you could in fact, switch the lights as Max_Damage pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Vertakill wrote: »
    They test it so briefly that you could in fact, switch the lights as Max_Damage pointed out.

Also, reverse lights apparently aren't tested in the NCT (don't see any mention of them in the manual anyway) so that will make things even easier.

Advertisement