Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Earl Hebner Interview

• 09-07-2008 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

thesun.co.uk
    EARL HEBNER is the most famous referee in the wrestling business, with a career as illustrious and controversial as some of the grapplers themselves.

His most famous moment inside the squared circle was the 'Montreal Screwjob' involving Bret 'The Hitman' Hart and Shawn Michaels at the 1997 Survivor Series.

And now, in an exclusive chat with SunSport, the man with thirty years' experience as a top referee reveals all on the story that shocked the wrestling world, his time in the WWE and his new role in TNA.

Earl, great to talk to you. Tell me, firstly, what it’s like to be with TNA?

It’s great being with TNA. It’s a laid-back company, it’s growing bigger and bigger every year, and I’m just proud to be one of their referees.

You’ve been over here many times with WWE, this is the first time you’ve been over with TNA, what have you made of the crowd this week?

I enjoy the crowd. Whether I’m with WWE or TNA I carry my same strategy. I’m either loved or hated.

Which do you prefer?

I prefer them hating me, because it’s more entertaining for me. Did you see how I teased the crowd last night? I just love it, and after the show, I don’t know how many autographs I signed.

It was a nice touch for TNA to make sure all of the fans got to meet the guys.

That’s something WWE doesn’t do. Maybe they think they’re too good, or however you want to put it. But TNA treats their fans great, that’s mainly why TNA is growing, because we do different things.

These guys don’t complain about staying an hour or two later. We could’ve been out of here an hour earlier, but look how many people we made happy, look how many people will come back, knowing how the talent treated the fans.

What did you think of the venue in Liverpool and UK arenas as a whole?

I love this venue, because we sold it out. It’s good for the first time over. When we come back, the buildings are bigger and there will be more fans, because of the way we’ve done it on this tour.

In the ring, the people hate me. Outside the ring, they love me. I must have signed 200 autographs last night. They were begging “Earl, Earl, Earl. Sign here please.” That’s a good feeling. They know that in the ring, to their mind, I’m a bad guy, but on the outside I’m a good guy.

Fans still chant “You screwed Bret” eleven years after the famous 'Montereal Screwjob'. Does it bother you?

I love it. Once I stepped out and I knew what was in store for me, it made my night. I thought “I’ve got them in my hand.” It means I can work with them and piss them off more than I thought I could.

How long have you been doing this?

I’ve been refereeing almost thirty years.

Do you ever get bored?

I never get bored. This is a business where you never get bored. It’s hard, you get tired of travelling, but you never get bored. I don’t want to tell you my age, but I feel like a teenager.

This business has kept me young. A lot of bones crack and hurt but I have good health.

You have to be fit too, don’t you, working with these guys?

Put it this way, I’m 59 years old. How many 59-year-old guys get around like I do? It’s really not a job, it’s a hobby.

What do you think of your son being in the business?

In the next year or so he’ll be in TNA. He’s had the opportunity to go back to WWE several times and he’s turned them down. He doesn’t want to go back there.

I would love to see him come here. It would be great for me. I’d get to see him a lot and we’d get to work together a lot. He’s a Hebner for one.

When he was growing up and wanted to get into the business, I’d teach him to look at the film of me and he’s really the spitting image of me except I can’t do the bumps that he does now!

I used to take them in the centre of the ring, now I take them by the ropes so I can get up!

Speaking to Bret Hart, Montreal is still something that haunts him. You were obviously in a very difficult position that night. Do you wish that the subject was forgotten, and do you have any resentment toward him?

I love Bret Hart to death. It was something I was asked to do. Told to do, in fact. If it was today, I would never do it.

WWE has treated me, my brother and my son awful wrong for the things that we did. Especially my brother, who took care of the office on the road for a long time and made them lots of money.

I did the bad things to get the jobs done because some of the other refs didn’t want to do it or didn’t know how to do it. You've got to be a team player.

If I’d have known then how I was going to be treated later in my career with WWE, I never would have done it. But at the time I didn’t know. It’s all hindsight.

The thing is, TNA is like the WWE when they were a company coming up. The WWE knew how to treat people, but when they got big they didn’t care. This company cares about their talent.

Advertisement
    Advertisement

If there is a wrestling fan out there, and you ask them to name a wrestler, they could say any number of names. Ask them to name a referee, they say Earl Hebner.

My son said to me one time “Daddy, you’re a legend” and I said, “Not really.” He said “Daddy, stop and think. How many people can name a football referee, how many can name a baseball referee or a basketball referee? You talk about wrestling, when you say who’s the referee who did this, they say ‘Earl Hebner’”

I’m not putting myself over, that what my son told me.

Of all the matches you’ve refereed, which ones stand out?

I’ve had a lot of matches, of course, but four really stand out. Hogan and Andre, with the twins angle with my brother and I. (The Main Event I, February 1988)

The second was Kurt Angle getting knocked out and I coached him through that match, even took my hand and slid it under his shoulder to kick him out because I knew he was injured.

The third would be when Austin broke his neck against Owen, I told Owen to take the schoolboy so that Austin wouldn't be hurt any more.

They all rate, but the fourth has to be the Bret Hart deal.

If someone wanted to be a ref, how would they go about it, and what qualities would they need?

The refereeing business in wrestling is a bit different to other sports. You've either got to want to do it or not. There is punishment in this business where there isn't in other sports for referees.

It’s tough, but if you love it, you’ll learn it. It’s up to you whether or not you make it, because if you’re not good, you’re not going to be around. If you can’t follow the matches, and do what you have to do, it’s not going to work.

It’s not as easy as it looks.

I suspect people don’t really how much your job entails.

In a given night I could have three matches. There are probably between 40 and 60 things I have to remember. Whereas the first wrestler out, he’s in there for 10 minutes, and after that he’s finished for the night. I’m not. We carry a lot of pressure.

Good read.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Why did he leave WWE in the first place. He was their main ref

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

Yes its a good read. But he did screw bret ! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

callaway92 wrote: »
    Why did he leave WWE in the first place. He was their main ref

Him and his brother were selling WWE merchandise without a license, allegedly. Although I've heard a few versions, such as it was someone else selling it under the Hebner's name without them knowing, or that it was licensed but Vince just wanted a reason to fire them

Fozzy wrote: »
    Him and his brother were selling WWE merchandise without a license, allegedly. Although I've heard a few versions, such as it was someone else selling it under the Hebner's name without them knowing, or that it was licensed but Vince just wanted a reason to fire them

I think he was in charge of bringing merchandise to events, and on the way from events and back to the warehouses, he was selling tonnes of stuff dirt cheap.

Not 100% sure though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

The Hebners were aware of it, From what i remember of the Hebner twins shoot, the Merchandise was out of date in the sense that WWE were no longer making it available on shopzone. It was primarily t-shirts i think.

Needless to say, Earl was fired very shortly afterwards (I think Dave may have retired by that stage), and Brian was fired months later. It left a bad taste in the mouths of both Hebner twins given the amount of time both of them dedicated to the company.

Interesting shoot interview btw if you can get your hands on it.
    VR!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Needless to say, Earl was fired very shortly afterwards (I think Dave may have retired by that stage), and Brian was fired months later.

Earl and Dave were fired within a day of each other, I read it the other day when looking at a list of WWE employees for that draft

Earl and Dave were fired within a day of each other, I read it the other day when looking at a list of WWE employees for that draft

Yeah you're right, although i think Dave hadn't reffed for quite some time, he was either an agent or had an office position.

VR!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

When I went to the TNA taping the Thursday before WM24, it was obvious there were loads of WWE fans there when Earl came out and the fans started chanting "You sell t-shirts". Funny.

• Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

FutureGuy wrote: »
    When I went to the TNA taping the Thursday before WM24, it was obvious there were loads of WWE fans there when Earl came out and the fans started chanting "You sell t-shirts". Funny.

:D That show was great! He was lapping up all the attention that night!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

I don’t want to tell you my age, but I feel like a teenager.

This business has kept me young. A lot of bones crack and hurt but I have good health.

You have to be fit too, don’t you, working with these guys?

Put it this way, I’m 59 years old.

:D

• Advertisement

Doubs wrote: »
    :D

Exactly what was the point of dragging up a three week old thread to add a smiley?

The internet is making people stupid, folks.
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

brolly wrote: »
    :D That show was great! He was lapping up all the attention that night!!!

Earl doing the Curryman dance was one of the funniest things i've ever seen

Exactly what was the point of dragging up a three week old thread to add a smiley?

The internet is making people stupid, folks.
    VR!

Getting upset by a smiley...

You my friend, need to get out more.

Says he posting on internet forums at 6am in the morning.
    Try practicing what you preach, pal. :)

VR!

Says he posting on internet forums at 6am in the morning.
    Try practicing what you preach, pal. :)

VR!

Believe it or not boards can be accessed outside of Ireland mate, the wonders of the Internet eh! :rolleyes:

You must be on some serious time delay then, if thats the best response you could come up with after that time. :rolleyes:

VR!

Okay, let me clarify this for you:

1. I don't spend all my time on boards.ie
    2. I'm in Australia

Your boring me, I'm finished (you win, yay! :rolleyes:)

Doubs wrote: »
    Okay, let me clarify this for you:

1. I don't spend all my time on boards.ie
    2. I'm in Australia

Your boring me, I'm finished (you win, yay! :rolleyes:)
    [alf stewart]
    Crikey, stop relying then, ya flamin' mongrel :rolleyes:[/alf stewart]
    VR!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Please stay on topic.

Advertisement