Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Economics in UCD??

Options
  • 09-07-2008 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Thinking of riding out this recession by doing a masters, was initially planning on doing it overseas but may as well check out what my old alum has to offer :D. Has anybody done this masters? What were the hours like? Did you think it was worth in the end (i.e. did it help you get whatever job you were looking to do etc etc.)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Two people in my work did it. They are credit risk analysts now.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

It's decent enough, the teaching is pretty good and AFAIK you have the option of taking PhD level courses in the second semester if you do very well in the first so that'd mean you wouldn't have to do much coursework in the first year of your PhD or else you'd have a really high quality mastesr.

This year it was VERY badly organised as the convernor wasn't great, the rules changed weekly and we were initially told we had to get a 1.1 at Christmas in order to be eligible to do a thesis whereas as it turned out everyone who wanted to do one could and some people are just doing lit review theses.

If you are doing one in Ireland apparently this is the best one. Our of 25 about 7 are going on to do funded PhDs here and the others are looking for jobs. I haven't got one myself yet

Oh and each lecture is 2 hours which is a bit of a beatch but there are 3 lectures of 2 hours for each subject so 6 hours a week with extra STATA tutorials for econometrics.

Some of the field courses in the 2nd semester are great Colm McCarthys energy course was great and they had Jim Markusen teachign trade....

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Sunjava

Any more info on this course?? I've applied for it but I'm not too keen on another year in UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Donnaghm

Sunjava wrote: »
    Any more info on this course?? I've applied for it but I'm not too keen on another year in UCD

just got my offer sunjava, see you there!

Advertisement