Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cannot get online...

• 09-07-2008 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

here's a tickler...

Laptop can get online when plugged into router.
    over wireless it can't. I can access the router via wireless, I van ping my mac n xbox, he'd I can even ping googles ip address's..
    this is the fun bit.. If I type www.google.com in the address bar I get nothing...
    but if i type 72.14.207.99 I get the google home page. I can the do searches but if I try and leave google I get "Internet explored cannot display the webpage"

Anyone any suggestions???
    sorry for crap post... Doing it from my phone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If you can ping an ip address and not a www address then the problem is the dns server. Could be that your isp dns server is borked or giving trouble. I suggest you use opendns on all your pc's and devices including your modem/router as its much quicker than most dns servers and corrects errors 2 like .cmo instead of .com

Edit, on a re-read I see its only the laptop that your having problems with, just add the opendns ip's to your wireless card tcp/ip settings 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220-220.
    Network connections-->Wireless connection-->right click-->properties-->scroll down to tcp/ip-->click properties-->add the above dns servers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Tried the above n it didn't work... Still the same. Its weird that I can go to a site using its ip address but not its www address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Agree with PogMoThoin, most likely a dns problem. Have you made any changes to your wireless settings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

If you can't resolve DNS names to IP addresses, its a Name Resolution Problem. Check out DNS settings for your wireless card and/or DNS settings within the Wireless configuration on your router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Sherifu wrote: »
    Agree with PogMoThoin, most likely a dns problem. Have you made any changes to your wireless settings?

Nope... I had the laptop in work and put it on a static IP address on the network. Done it before loads of times.

Brought it home n it wont go online via wireless. If I plug it in its grand. Haven't changed any settings

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

Paste in the results of an "ipconfig /all" while your connected both via the wire & via wireless concurrently....

Also, what make/model router?

Advertisement