Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Service

• 09-07-2008 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

What is your opinion on bring in national service in Ireland? Of course, assuming that we have the equipment etc to handle them all...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ducksanctuary

What is your opinion on bring in national service in Ireland? Of course, assuming that we have the equipment etc to handle them all...

That would cost money and lots of it. With all those tight hoores in the Dáil, it'll hardly happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

is there a need in a country like Ireland? if you look back National service was introduced mainly in times of military or political crysis, this aside, i think it could be a good idea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Dirty Dave

Terrible idea and its never going to happen.

1) We have no need of it

2) Most countries that had national service have abandoned it in favour of a full time professional military, because they tend to be better.

3) It would be hugely, hugely expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

To what aim?

Why hamper the military with malcontents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

I just ask as I heard that in Britain they were going to bring it back in to deal with the crime rate. I just wanted to see what people here would think of such a system here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I just ask as I heard that in Britain they were going to bring it back in to deal with the crime rate.
    Typical reactionary claptrap by people who don't know what they are talking about.

While certain people would benefit from the structure that a military life would bring, the reality is that a stretch military where 45% want to quit would be burdened by ill-discipline and criminality and in 2-3 years tiem all you'd have is atlethic criminal who know how to use guns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

+1 above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

I just ask as I heard that in Britain they were going to bring it back in to deal with the crime rate. I just wanted to see what people here would think of such a system here.
    They introduced something called the "short, sharp shock" in Britain in the 80s. The idea was that petty criminals needed discipline and what better way than to instil some than getting the army in to physically train them. So after they got out they has a few months of circuit training and obstacle course training under their belt and were much fitter than when they were first locked up. Did this make them more responsible citizens? No, it made it much harder for the police to catch them. That is why it was abandoned in the UK.

National Service is a really bad idea - talk to anyone who was forced to do it against their wishes and see what benefit it was to them or the army that had to contain them. Its much better and cheaper to have a professional military composed of people who actually want to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

Maybe community service would do a better job of what military service intends,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

being diabetic i cannot be forced to do it aahhahahahaah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

loads of reasons why it shouldn't be brought in,
    any reasons (good or bad) why it should be brought in?

Advertisement