Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riddles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

malice_ wrote: »
    Well... There was this, this, this, this and this. :P

Back on topic here's another riddle:

really good one, spent a couple of hours at work:
    the german owns the fish

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

The German has the fish. I made the assumption that the first house is on the left.

another classic:

The three wisest sages in the land were brought before the king to see which of them were worthy to become the king's advisor. After passing many tests of cunning and invention, they were pitted against each other in a final battle of the wits.

Led blind-folded into a small room, the sages were seated around a small wooden table as the king described the test for them.

"Upon each of your heads I have placed a hat. Now you are either wearing a blue hat or a white hat. All I will tell you is this- at least one of you is wearing a blue hat. There may be only one blue hat and two white hats, there may be two blue hats and one white hat, or there may be three blue hats. But you may be certain that there are not three white hats."

"I will shortly remove your blind folds, and the test will begin. The first to correctly announce the colour of his hat shall be my advisor. Be warned however, he who guesses wrongly shall be beheaded. If not one of you answers within the hour, you will be sent home and I will seek elsewhere for wisdom."

With that, the king uncovered the sages' eyes and sat in the corner and waited. One sage looked around and saw that his competitors each were wearing blue hats. From the look in their eyes he could see their thoughts were the same as his, "What is the colour of my hat?"

For what seemed like hours no one spoke. Finally he stood up and said, "The colour of the hat I am wearing is .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

If would be easier if the guys he was looking at had one blue and one white. Then he would know he must be blue, as if he was white, one of the others would see two white hats and know immediately that his own must be blue. Since no one would have answered quickly, he must have a blue. Anyway, that's beside the point: this is tough and I'm not sure if it's solvable

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Spike440

another classic:

For what seemed like hours no one spoke. Finally he stood up and said, "The colour of the hat I am wearing is .

He is wearing a
    blue
    hat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Spike440 wrote: »
    He is wearing a
    blue
    hat.

How did you get that then?

If he was wearing the
    white
    hat, then either of the other two could have safely deduced the answer for the reason you gave in your first post. He assumes that if he was wearing the
    white
    hat, one of his fellow sages would have answered already. Neither of them have answered because he is wearing the
    blue
    hat.

His answer is made on the assumption that the other two sages have perfect acumen and would solve the riddle if they could. It's funny because each of them are in exactly the same position which makes it fair, and the passage of time is the factor which gives the correct answer. It's also ironic because the winner assumes that his adversaries are as smart as him in terms of logic, but also assumes that he is the first to realise the answer.

I like this riddle.

If he was wearing the
    white
    hat, then either of the other two could have safely deduced the answer for the reason you gave in your first post. He assumes that if he was wearing the
    white
    hat, one of his fellow sages would have answered already. Neither of them have answered because he is wearing the
    blue
    hat.

His answer is made on the assumption that the other two sages have perfect acumen and would solve the riddle if they could. It's funny because each of them are in exactly the same position which makes it fair, and the passage of time is the factor which gives the correct answer. It's also ironic because the winner assumes that his adversaries are as smart as him in terms of logic, but also assumes that he is the first to realise the answer.

I like this riddle.

winner!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭MB74

If he was wearing the
    white
    white
    blue
    hat.

I like this riddle.

Okay a little more explanation please, I must be sloooowww.

If he sees two blue, he could be either blue or white

Scenario 1 Assume white: both the others see a blue and white, nothing is excluded yet. Neither can make a safe assumption of what they are wearing.

Scenario 2 Assume blue: both the others see two blue, nothing is excluded again. Neither can make a safe assumption of what they are wearing.

So unless I missed something, by the above two scenarios and because the other two both remained quite doesn't make it safe to assume he is wear ----???

What have I missed?:confused:

I have heard this riddle told slightly different to this.

friday riddle:

Two convicts are locked in a cell.

There is an unbarred window high up in the cell.

No matter if they stand on the bed or one on top of the other they can't reach the window to escape.

They then decide to tunnel out.

However, they give up with the tunnelling because it will take too long.

Finally one of the convicts figures out how to escape from the cell.

What is his plan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MB74 wrote: »
    Okay a little more explanation please, I must be sloooowww.

If he sees two blue, he could be either blue or white

Right so far

Scenario 1 Assume white: both the others see a blue and white, nothing is excluded yet. Neither can make a safe assumption of what they are wearing.

If the other players seen a white and a blue, they could deduce they are wearing a blue. This is because if they had a white on, the player with the blue would see two whites and know he was wearing a blue (he would know this instantly, and not take the time it has taken)

Scenario 2 Assume blue: both the others see two blue, nothing is excluded again. Neither can make a safe assumption of what they are wearing.

So unless I missed something, by the above two scenarios and because the other two both remained quite doesn't make it safe to assume he is wear ----???

What have I missed?:confused:

I have heard this riddle told slightly different to this.
    That help??
    friday riddle:

Two convicts are locked in a cell.

There is an unbarred window high up in the cell.

No matter if they stand on the bed or one on top of the other they can't reach the window to escape.

They then decide to tunnel out.

However, they give up with the tunnelling because it will take too long.

Finally one of the convicts figures out how to escape from the cell.

What is his plan?
    When they started tunnelling I imagine a pile of earth built up, do they continue to tunnel until the pile of earth is high enough so that they can togther reach the window

Mellor wrote: »
    That help??

When they started tunnelling I imagine a pile of earth built up, do they continue to tunnel until the pile of earth is high enough so that they can togther reach the window

spot on!!

Tom's mother has 3 children.

HUEY = 18
    LUEY = 21
    ???? = 15

What is the name of the third child?

You'd be surprised how difficult some people find this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Tom's mother has 3 children.

HUEY = 18
    LUEY = 21
    ???? = 15

What is the name of the third child?

You'd be surprised how difficult some people find this!!
    :D Very good! For anyone that is stuck
    read the first sentence carefully
    !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

A guy walks up a hill every weekend. He starts off on Saturday at 10am and at 1pm he stops for 30 minutes for lunch. He arrives at the top at 4pm. He camps out over night and sets down the hill at 10am. At 12 noon he stops 45 minutes for lunch and arrives at the bottom of the hill at 3pm.

Prove that he was at the same spot on the hill at the same time both days.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

What do the rich want,The poor have, And god fears?

What do the rich want,The poor have, And god fears?

nothing

yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭gabigeist

Hyzepher wrote: »
    A guy walks up a hill every weekend. He starts off on Saturday at 10am and at 1pm he stops for 30 minutes for lunch. He arrives at the top at 4pm. He camps out over night and sets down the hill at 10am. At 12 noon he stops 45 minutes for lunch and arrives at the bottom of the hill at 3pm.

Prove that he was at the same spot on the hill at the same time both days.

He kips overnight so is in the same spot at midnight both days00:00:00??

What gets wetter the more it dries?

gabigeist wrote: »

A TOWEL

• Advertisement

gabigeist wrote: »
    He kips overnight so is in the same spot at midnight both days00:00:00??
    No idea if that's right. It's sounds right though :).
    gabigeist wrote:
    Is is
    a towel
    ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭gabigeist

No idea if that's right. It's sounds right though :).

Is is
    a towel
    ?

Correct! I see you guys went to primary school too... Anyone have any? Mine are all rubbish -

What building has the most stories?

what building has most stories
    Library
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

What do these words have in common?

Banana
    Dresser
    Grammar
    Potato
    Revive
    Uneven
    Assess

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Livvie wrote: »

Banana
    Dresser
    Grammar
    Potato
    Revive
    Uneven
    Assess
    Palindromes?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Palindromes?

No, sorry.

Livvie wrote: »

Banana
    Dresser
    Grammar
    Potato
    Revive
    Uneven
    Assess
    They are all pronounced/spelt differently by Americans?

They are all pronounced/spelt differently by Americans?

No....we might as well just type "Oxford English Dictionary" if that were the answer. :)

Palindromes when you remove the first letter

• Advertisement

I think Spike more or less has it, although the answer as I read it was slightly different. He doesn 't have it quite right.
    When you remove the first letter and add it to the end, the word reads the same backwards as it did originally.

Advertisement