Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Lime to spread?

Options
  • 09-07-2008 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Anyone got an opinion on which sort of lime to spread - the "powder" stuff or the granules that come in a bag and can be spread by a standard fertiliser spreader?

I leaning towards the granules on the basis of ease of spreading, but would appreciate any inputs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

lanod2407 wrote: »
    Anyone got an opinion on which sort of lime to spread - the "powder" stuff or the granules that come in a bag and can be spread by a standard fertiliser spreader?

I leaning towards the granules on the basis of ease of spreading, but would appreciate any inputs.
    The granular lime is normally used for a crops on rented land that will get a years supply. I always use traditional lime for longer lasting results on owned land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Sam Kade wrote: »
    The granular lime is normally used for a crops on rented land that will get a years supply. I always use traditional lime for longer lasting results on owned land.

I agree. Traditional lime elements remain in the ground for 5 to 7 years. Also, it is significantly cheaper than the granular lime.

Dan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

reilig wrote: »
    I agree. Traditional lime elements remain in the ground for 5 to 7 years. Also, it is significantly cheaper than the granular lime.

Dan

It depends of your soil type, here we have some 'light' soil, & i do believe groundlimestone will not last for 5 years especially in high rain fall.

In my situation spreading 75kg per ac. of granular lime (€220 per ton) per year works out the same cost as spreading 3 ton per ac. ground limestone (€26 per ton) every five years . We think although we could be wrong that we have noticed a small rise in milk yield since switching to granular a few years ago. soil tests last year showed that all our fields were normal ph. when we using g/l we have had some fields which for one reason or another were missed (too wet, not grazed out etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭massey woman

Great results from Cloghrennan lime thats high in Magnesium dont know if they deliver that far or any a the Roadstone quarries locally
    Lasts 5/7 years in the ground unlike the granulated stuff thats gone in a few months eventhough its handy for spreading

The sugar company quarries have great lime too
    Careful some a the cowboy operators give you a mixture a 'GRIT' and 'Dust' which is useless.
    Buy from a reliable source
    Good luck with it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If its the sort of acid soil that needs the addition of lime, its highly probable that phosphates in the soil may be bound- and it may very well benefit from the addition of Unground Mineral Phosphate (UMP). Tends to be a single application (depending on the site- and subsequent testing).

S.

• Advertisement
Advertisement