Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling to UCD

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

hatful wrote: »
    Would there be any point in putting a petition in the S.U for the building of an indoor bike shelter? Or am I being naive... I there any legal reason why ucd would not want to build such a structure?

Well if they make the facilities too good, then people might want to start holding them responsible when their bike gets nicked.

Personally I think more facilities like those around science would be ideal, preferably with security cameras. They allow for bikes to be packed quite densely so they don't take up a huge amount of room and they're sheltered.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

A) Cycle Slowly - probably won't happen though, I've tried that

B) Bring a change of clothes

C) Join the gym and have a shower there when you get in

D) Make friends with people on campus use there showers.

Just a few ideas. Hope that helps.

Another option is to just head into one of the toilets and wipe off the sweat with a small hand towel or else toilet paper followed by a good dose of Lynx or somethin'. Apparently (non-scented) baby wipes are great for this. Personally, I'm planning on getting a locker then leaving a few bits like a small towel, baby wipes, can of deoderant etc. in there for when I need it. May save you on having to splash out ~€180 on the gym if you weren't intending to join anyway.

A dedicated bike shelter would be good. If not that, then some more rather conspicuous cameras around the bike areas would be in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

There are free showers and dressing rooms in ucd sports centre also. Its not only the gym that has them. Thats what i use

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

I think secure bike parking is to be included in the planned multistorey car park... can't recall where I read that though.

Might be useful to try talking to the buildings department as well as the SU they're the ones who usually plan, pay for and install that kind of stuff. It's needed too, the demand for more bike space can be seen by the number of bikes chained to every immovable object in the College...

Check out this facility in Columbia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

The story is old :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054889189&highlight=bicycle

I think there was a poll concerning thefts a while back but I can't find it.

There is clearly a need for a secure area to leave bikes, ucd has a large cycling population...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Xhristy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Downstairs in the changing rooms.

Advertisement